The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shedding?!

OK so its January 13th and my stallion is SHEDDING! White hair all over me when I groomed him for his clinic today! Can't beleive it, has been SO warm here, but now the cold has hit, he might be sorry he is cutting lose of the hair! Of course, he always is the first one to shed out, but this is really quite early! ANyone else have one shedding??

Yes. Shedding and OMG MY HORSE IS SHEDDING threads start up right about this time every year.

Turn the lights off.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

He isnt under "lights" at all, obviously as soon as the days get longer he starts shedding, and I mean SHEDDING. I really don't remember him starting until early February even tho he is always first. I guess since he grew up in Idaho, he figures NC is mild!

We really do need to make this a sticky!

Yup, I'm in Connecticut and my grey mare started shedding a few weeks ago. Daylight hours are increasing, after all!

Are the blankets piled on?
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

One of mine (a miniature) has started to let go of hair. Not a full blown shed, but the beginning. He is not blanketed, has shelter, but is only locked/stalled in the barn at night. My other miniature and my Tennessee Walker are not letting go of one single hair, thankfully. It is supposed to get down into the 20 and snow in the next couple days.

I know length of day is what triggers shedding and no he is not "piled" up in blankets, jsut wears a waterproof turnout sheet when its chilly or raining. I honestly also think stallions shed earlier than geldings/mares, probably something to do with testosterone increasing for breeding season (altho he hasn't bred a mare in four years)

I have a couple who have started to let go. Makes me happy Means spring is on the way!!!! Of course, most of the ones in my care are so well clipped, no one would know if they were shedding or not!

Our Belgian started shedding at the end of December, and our OTTB started a few weeks later.

Now both are gathering up steam in the shedding department....it's not a full blown shed yet, but if you rub them, you walk away with a jacket full of hair....the shedding intesity is definatelly picking up.

I'm with yellowbritches, any sign of increased daylight & that we're getting closer to spring is a good thing!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Yep-shedding here too!

I know this isn't The Menagerie, but my Siberian Husky starts shedding almost the second the days begin to get longer instead of shorter in the beginning of January, and my pony is not far behind him. I always tell them to hang onto that a little longer, they'll need that hair up here in Indiana, but they never do.

My 22yr old TB has been shedding since MID December; He's probably about 60% done already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia412 View Post
    I'm with yellowbritches, any sign of increased daylight & that we're getting closer to spring is a good thing!
    Amen!

Our two who grow much winter coat are already shedding. I'm very glad the third is here instead of somewhere really cold, because her coat wouldn't be sufficient in many climates. She will shed for about two days at some point, but that's about all it takes for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbridge View Post
    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
    Are the blankets piled on?
    It hasn't anything to do with blankets. Days are getting longer. Shedding commences. Days become shorter, summer shedding commences.

Mine usually shed starting the 1st week in August and the 1st week in February. The Shetland is usually a few weeks ahead of schedule, as is the case this (and every) year. She is the only one who is NOT blanketed.
    Click here before you buy.

Shedding? Not up here! We're just about to hit the coldest batch of temps so far this winter...the horses know spring is still about 5 months away.

I went out to brush my horse yesterday after reading all these "shedding" threads and not a single hair made a freedom leap from his body. I think he's furiously holding on to every single hair on his body in preparation for the -16 F temps that will start tomorrow.

The only one of mine that sheds early is our elderly Welsh pony, who also has Cushings. He grows a huge coat in September, sweats through the rest of the fall and early winter, and promptly in January, loses handfuls and clumps of hair until he has a "normal" coat like the others. I'm wondering if the off-tempo shedding has more to do with hormones that are out of whack.

Default MINE ARE SHEDDING ... MIDWEST AREA ```

MINE ARE SHEDDING TOO !

CAN HARDLY WAIT TIL SPRING !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "