The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eclipse awards televised?

I know they are going to be streaming online, but does anybody know if they will be televised on HRTV or TVG?
    Cindy

It will be on HRTV and DRF.com - I'm not sure why TVG isn't carrying it as they have for the last few years.

Monday Jan 16th @ 8-10:30 p.m. EST

And the filly got her HOTY award!

IMHO it was thrilling to revisit the footage of Cape Blanco's terrific wins in 2011 again. He will be sorely missed.

Default I saw most of it,

but I missed the two year old awards. Who won 2 year old colts? And with fillies and mares winning HOY three years in a row, what does this say about breeding colts for speed speed speed and off to the breeding shed?
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    but I missed the two year old awards. Who won 2 year old colts?
    Come on you know who Hansen! In a voting landslide, contrary to the "gasp" of the crowd.

First place votes: 194 for Hansen, 52 for Union Rags

Overall the quality of the show, the portions I watched, was a few notches below what it has been in recent years (and with TVG producing) with the feel and presentation. Clips were poor, some audio issues, no Clancy giving out the steeplechase award, and while thankfully no MC of Kenny Rice it just seemed like such a lackluster telecast

^^^ Yes, I thought the production value for a televised event was a bit flat. Would have liked to seen slightly longer and more in-depth videos of each nominee, perhaps.

That said, I liked Rapid Redux's owner's speech, with him noting that it's highly unlikely he'll stand up on that stage again.

http://www.drf.com/blogs/eclipse-voting

The above link has all the votes cast in each category

Fewer oddity votes this year but the occasional head scratcher:

Lone votes for Court Vision as Horse of the Year, so too Hansen for HOTY, Drosselmeyer as Turf Male. Rapid Redux received 4 HOTY votes. Overdriven received a 1st place vote for 2-yr old male. Goldikova received two winning votes for Turf Female
    Actually I'm a bit surprised that in the steeplechasing category Lake Placid received merely a single winning vote. (To be clear he wasn't even a finalist!) Just my opinion here but graded steeplechases are exceedingly relative although with just one such score it was the key reason Black Jack Blues took the award. Yet look at their 2011 seasons comparatively:

Black Jack Blues: 2 starts 2-0-0 with $171,000
    Lake Placid: 11 starts 6-0-1 with $114,000

Black Jack Blues moved to the US from Ireland and won the $35k Dorothy Fred Smithwick Satkes Oct 1, then won the Grade 1-NSA $250,000 Grand National (Gr.) at the Far Hills Races in New Jersey on Oct. 21