The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default STB tattoos?

Is there any way to identify a STB with an illegible tattoo? I'm thinking not, but figured I might as well ask. Also, if anyone wants to take a crack at the illegible tattoo, I'll have photos of it later in the day.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

i used to be pretty good at reading a blurred tattoo and that is why we went to freezebranding. Just think how nice it is going to be now that all foals must be branded to be registered
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Post photos, high quality if possible (not blurry cell phone pics) as well as photo of the horse or description of markings if you can. No guarantees but I'm pretty good at figuring them out and I love a mystery

I should have him home this afternoon, will do it then.

When did they start freezebranding? I'd forgotten about that. Would it be left or right side? I'm fairly certain there is nothing on the left side, and he's supposed to be 10-12 years old.

Mandatory freezebranding started in '01 and many horses with bad tattoos were branded. Brand is on the right side and would be quite legible. At 10-12, he should be branded as well as tattooed

If he has a really fuzzy winter coat, they can be difficult to see sometimes. I rode one horse with a perfectly legible freeze brand, but in the winter it looked like a thin white line and a few dots. If it looks like there's one, you can clip it to read it easily (or wait for shedding out )

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    If he has a really fuzzy winter coat, they can be difficult to see sometimes. I rode one horse with a perfectly legible freeze brand, but in the winter it looked like a thin white line and a few dots. If it looks like there's one, you can clip it to read it easily (or wait for shedding out )
    I checked when I picked him up and there were a few white hairs here and there. Sure enough. Clipped it when we got home and he's X8733, Dutchman.

Thanks for the info, guys!

check that again, there isn't a match for that brand but the name Dutchman brings up bay gelding by J W Dutch Treat out of One To Top by Hunters Star with a brand of X7833. California bred, last owner Desomer Stables. He is trotting bred and if I remember correctly raced last year. He is 11, foaled in April of '01

Yes, fingers slipped, sorry. I looked it up while I was on site.

Is there any way to look up a race record for him? I'm well-versed in TB research, but not STB!

You have to pay for it unless you can get to a track where someone can pull lines for you. I know the horse raced at Cal-Expo and remember him for some odd reason.

Default Dutchman's Breeding

I remember his sire, J W Dutch Treat; he raced here in PA as a younger horse in the sire stakes (his sire, American Winner, stood stud here and therefore JWDT was eligible for the sire stakes in PA). He's listed a bay but he was quite dark, near black. Nice colt.

Hunter's Star was kind of a big name sire in California and he was known to sire both trotters and pacers pretty regularly (not terribly common).

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tag View Post
    Hunter's Star was kind of a big name sire in California and he was known to sire both trotters and pacers pretty regularly (not terribly common).
    I remember hearing first hand accounts of coming up against Hunters Star - he was some kinda monster on the track apparently - raced on the pace himself and went under two minutes. Didnt make a lot of money because purses were almost non-existant in those years. There were quite a few Hunters Stars that raced here in Western Canada, all pacers.

Hunters Star is in Cal-Horseman's Assoc HOF.

from a 2010 release:

Owned by the late Jack Marsh and trained and driven by Jack Sherren, Hunter's Star earned $44,980 on the pace and took a mark of 1:57.1.

But it was off the track where Hunter's Star dominated.

Standing at Man Mar Ranch in Dixon, Hunters Star proved to be one of the best California sires on the trot and pace, taking many top stallion of the year awards. Siring 720 foals, his offspring has amassed $15,767,996 in earnings. Some of his top foals were Magna Hawk 1:58.2 ($354,165), Native Hunter p,6, 1:55.1 ($351,173), Foxy Markenjay 4, 2:00 ($322,016).

Hunter's Star also was noted as being a top broodmare sire with such great mares as Kute Markenjay whose foals have earned more than $1 million to date. It was only fitting that Hunters Star’s last foal be named Hunter's Last Star 5, 1:58.1 ($117,741).Stand By N p, 1:52.1 ($254,381) not only was a great raceway mare, but also proved her worthiness as one of California’s top broodmares. Brought over from New Zealand, Stand By N by Jamie Hanover out of Lea Breeze, was owned by longtime California owners Bob and Loretta Staats and trained by the late Robert "Bob" Gordon. Having been retired to the broodmare shed, Stand By N had nine foals and seven of racing age.

CHHA Staff Contact Information
    Phone: 916-263-7888

Both STB geldings of mine are by Hunter's Star. Dam is Forever With Love. Lovely boys. When (if) I get another horse I would love to find another Standie with their breeding.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I spoke with the original owner/trainer (Desomer) after pulling his record.

48 starts, over $130k lifetime earnings, two time Horse of the Year (CA) winner. She had many great things to say about him.