The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dutrow... *sigh*

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Learn about what? It wasnt his fault the van was stuck in traffic and didnt arrive on time. He may not have even known when the horse was administered Lasix. I blame the vet, he knows when Lasix needs to be given. The vet should have refused, since it wasnt within the alotted time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    Learn about what? It wasnt his fault the van was stuck in traffic and didnt arrive on time. He may not have even known when the horse was administered Lasix. I blame the vet, he knows when Lasix needs to be given. The vet should have refused, since it wasnt within the alotted time frame.
    No it wasn't his fault this time, I doubt he was even in the state the incident happened in, my point is, it's tiring to see him getting away with infractions that normal trainers would have their licenses jerked for. Just adding this one to his list.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Regarding his compliance issues, I have no comment.

Flame suit on!

I do own a lovely mare that was exclusively trained by him, she retired sound and sane. First OTTB I've owned that is not a little quirky, she had a solid foundation with him. I personally feel as if he takes great care of the horses on his watch.

But it is ultimately the trainers fault, thats just how it is. It's the trainers job to make sure the horse leaves early enough to get to the track in time to recieve lasix.

Shipping a horse the day of from NY to MD is not unheard of, but you have to take into consideration the traffic and weigh your options. Shipping in the night before eliminates that risk.

I am having a hard time believing that the vet (and I know who's here) would administer lasix 2 hours late without the trainers consent.

Default Double Sigh....

Hi All,
    It is ALWAYS the trainer's responsibility regarding getting to a race on time and when a horse is administered medication. Those are the rules almost everywhere.

Plus, it's Dutrow, the Teflon Trainer. You can bet if one of the trainer's I used through the years pulled this routine the consequences would have been swift as lightning.

I still believe that the 2008 winner of the Derby was Eight Belles - a hay, oats, and water horse as opposed to the substance(s) Big Brown ran on.

Boy, I'm in a cranky mood today!

Hallie

The private vet knew he was violating state lasix rules and administered anyway. The $1000 fine is a slap on the wrist. He can make that up with a couple more joint taps.

Trainer Dove Houghton knew the horse's situation (the horse was shipped into her barn because she's a friend of Dutrow's) and chose to let it all transpire.

No moral compass and complete lack of character.

Not out of the ordinary on the backside of a dying race track.

Quote Originally Posted by haligator View Post
    I still believe that the 2008 winner of the Derby was Eight Belles - a hay, oats, and water horse as opposed to the substance(s) Big Brown ran on.

Hallie
    Hallie-- if only that were true.
    Larry Jones is anything but a hay, oats, and water man.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Introspect View Post
    The private vet knew he was violating state lasix rules and administered anyway. The $1000 fine is a slap on the wrist. He can make that up with a couple more joint taps.

Trainer Dove Houghton knew the horse's situation (the horse was shipped into her barn because she's a friend of Dutrow's) and chose to let it all transpire.

No moral compass and complete lack of character.

Not out of the ordinary on the backside of a dying race track.
    Just read the article (had heard this somewhere else). I'm surprised (but not really) at the incidentals.