The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

I know there is always that chance that you will get weird answers to a sale ad, and of course responses from kids playing around and lookey-loos.

But this most recent one just creeped me out. Ad is for $10K for said very nice horse and someone emailed me this morning saying they owned a farm in Michigan with their husband and were looking to add jumpers to their farm. It was a vague request for info but I replied with pictures and pertinent details. The response I received (remember they're in Michigan, I'm in TX) "Hello. I am interested in buying this horse. I have sent someone with a trailer to pick her up. I have also sent $1,000 with him to pay for her. Thank you for doing business with us."

I scratched my head a minute and replied asking them what they were talking about. The next response "I'm sorry. I will put it in a more written out way so you will understand it better. I am buying this horse. I have sent my husband with a trailer in which to bring her back here. He has $1,000 to pay for the horse with. I appreciate you telling me so many wonderful things about this mare and I am sure with training and the experience we have here, she will work wonderfully for us. Thank you once again!"

ok without even mentioning that they are sending $1000 to pay for a $10K horse, they don't even know where she is!!! Something here seems stalker-ish to me like I should be worried about her getting stolen. Anyone else ever have a weird sale email like this??

"Now it's time to focus in on where I go from here--Lord have mercy on my next 30 years" :-) Tim McGraw

[This message was edited by flshgordon on May. 01, 2004 at 02:08 PM.]

[This message was edited by flshgordon on May. 04, 2004 at 02:33 PM.]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

I know there is always that chance that you will get weird answers to a sale ad, and of course responses from kids playing around and lookey-loos.

But this most recent one just creeped me out. Ad is for $10K for said very nice horse and someone emailed me this morning saying they owned a farm in Michigan with their husband and were looking to add jumpers to their farm. It was a vague request for info but I replied with pictures and pertinent details. The response I received (remember they're in Michigan, I'm in TX) "Hello. I am interested in buying this horse. I have sent someone with a trailer to pick her up. I have also sent $1,000 with him to pay for her. Thank you for doing business with us."

I scratched my head a minute and replied asking them what they were talking about. The next response "I'm sorry. I will put it in a more written out way so you will understand it better. I am buying this horse. I have sent my husband with a trailer in which to bring her back here. He has $1,000 to pay for the horse with. I appreciate you telling me so many wonderful things about this mare and I am sure with training and the experience we have here, she will work wonderfully for us. Thank you once again!"

ok without even mentioning that they are sending $1000 to pay for a $10K horse, they don't even know where she is!!! Something here seems stalker-ish to me like I should be worried about her getting stolen. Anyone else ever have a weird sale email like this??

"Now it's time to focus in on where I go from here--Lord have mercy on my next 30 years" :-) Tim McGraw

[This message was edited by flshgordon on May. 01, 2004 at 02:08 PM.]

[This message was edited by flshgordon on May. 04, 2004 at 02:33 PM.]

Do they know where you are?

"It is good to be fine."
    \"It is good to be fine.\"

Very weired!! Did you email her back?

*Cody* Halfsteiner Jumper Extrordinaire!
    *Bailey* The Ultimate Track Trash TB Hunter!

uh, ok freak shows, have you been sippin on grandpa's old cough medicine by chance?
    I don't know what to say to that, other than What the fuhhh???

Keep us posted on this one
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ies/sleepy.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

Pictures of Tips

Yeah, maybe just email her back and point out that, aside from missing a zero, the horse is for sale to an approved home only, and you'd like to know a little more about their operation. Very strange, though. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

"It is good to be fine."
    \"It is good to be fine.\"

Ask for her phone #. I'm betting this person is bored.

Wow, I've been through the e-mails that say I would like to buy your horse. Please call me to arrange the details And then called and throughly confused some adult who finally figures out the e-mail came from their adolescent daughter. The really annoying thing about that is often the parent's reaction is to get annoyed with me. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif And think I'm creepy because I'm calling their offspring. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

But I've never come across this one. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

And have absolutely no advice.

But you absolutely have to let us know what happens. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

Hi Bea!!!!

Hi xegeba, think this is a gnome e-mail? Maybe they think the sale price should be adjusted down to their size

whoa...weird. maybe they got your email addy confused with someone else's - someone who they really ARE buying a $1000 horse from??

Put some EXCITEMENT between your legs - RIDE A THOROUGHBRED!
    Jumping: Dressage with speed bumps!
    (]-~-[) * * * (]-~-[)
    \"I touched the BLOOD!\" - Kelly
    \"I killed your cat! I thought it would bring closure to our relationship!\" - Rocco

Hmmmmm... if I remember correctly, Mapleshade had something like this happen. But then again, I might not be remembering correctly. Margaret?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Could be Bea, but whoever it is is certainly cheap!! I'd tell that person to bring the whole enchilada or pack it.

I am thinking they have you confused with someone else...then again I tend to think the best of everyone completing ignoring the fact that the world is FULL of crazy people. Can't wait to hear the rest of this story.

Get me her phone number Flsh, I'll call her! Tell her the 1000.00 for you is fine but I need my 9,000.00, as your agent.

Another thought would be to put a $500 horse in a stall with the other horse's very large name plate on it. And a large tin can labeled money box next to it. Just to be accommodating in case they arrive in the middle of the night. People always complain so about the horse business lacking a service based mentality.

I like that A LOT Bea!!!

well luckily she doesn't have my phone number (no way I am posting that on an internet ad!!!) and I don't have hers either. But she did give me her name & she supposed name of her farm....anyone here from Michigan? Never mind I just looked again...KC Ranch---I'm betting that's a fake, what about you guys?

I did email her back about an hour ago and tell her the horse was 10K FIRM and she forgot to ask for directions....haven't heard from her yet.

I was hoping for it to turn out to be a child but like I said....seemed a little stalker-ish and less child like.

xegeba---that's quite an offer, I'll let you know http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

I'll let you know if I hear from her again!

My pleasure!!!!