The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Would a lending forum be useful?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd loan things.

8 47.06%
  • Yes, I'd borrow things.

8 47.06%
  • No, people are liars and thieves.

6 35.29%
  • No, people are germy and gross.

2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default COTH mods—Lending Library?

Can we have a lending library of equipment (bits, girths, saddle pads, books, whatever) that we'd be willing to share for short-term trials? I've loaned out a couple of items via COTH and I know it was helpful. I would love a chance to try a product or two, too, before deciding to buy!

Is anyone else interested in this? I'm picturing a subforum down in the classifieds where we could post a free wanted ad (example: wanted, Tekna brand bridle to try on horse-sized head, will pay postage) or a free available ad (Offered, thinline pad for short term loan in case you've been wanting to try one).

Good idea? Bad idea? Discuss.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

LOVE it!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Good idea!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I think it could work if somebody were willing to manage it. You could use a credit card (or PayPal?) as a security deposit, to be released when the material is returned. There's really no getting around the wear and tear on items borrowed. DVDs will get scratched, book pages will get tattered, etc. My guess is that people might be willing to loan out programs that are collecting dust but that aren't precious to them. And, maybe you could work in some sort of credit where you have to loan in order to borrow to offset that wear and tear.

On another horse training site a while back, I exchanged training videos back and forth with another poster, that was well respected.
    I sent all of his back and I never did see mine ever again.

Every time I emailed about them, he had just sent them, had forgotten and would send them ASAP, but never did.

I would suggest never to send anything you really want back.

This would be a very cool idea if there were some sort of deposit system.I'd be interested as both a lender and a try-er.
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Good idea, but I'd also require tracking numbers on shipments and insurance on anything worth anything. Not just for proof for both sides, but things really DO get lost in the mail once in a while.

Yes, there are some people who wouldn't return things, but I think there are more who would appreciate the service.

But if anybody ever ties Paypal to it, I would never participate. I'm boycotting Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    Good idea, but I'd also require tracking numbers on shipments and insurance on anything worth anything. Not just for proof for both sides, but things really DO get lost in the mail once in a while.

Yes, there are some people who wouldn't return things, but I think there are more who would appreciate the service.

But if anybody ever ties Paypal to it, I would never participate. I'm boycotting Paypal.
    I agree, PayPal is evil, you will never get an account closed.
    Mine has been active for a decade or so, have tried to close it several times, when a sneaky website pays thru it without letting me know, like the NCHA and it goes thru my closed account anyway.

I was getting much spam to my email box and when I asked the companies where they got my email, some said PayPal.

I have to say that I loaned a DVD to a COTH poster and she returned it promptly.
    There are people here that we can trust.

I don't know how we could set such an interchange, that will be interesting to see.

OP, what did you have in mind, it's own forum, a sticky, what other way to make connections?

I have to say that the last choice, germy and gross, gave me a chuckle, would not have thought that was a concern.