The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Karsh (Secret Secretary)

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has any photos or info on the stallion Karsh aka Secret Secretary.

Or photos/info on his foals?

Thanks!

Wow! Seeing that name was a blast from the past.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/secret+secretary

I remember writing to his owner/breeder James E. Murphy of I believe Greystone Manor in Ontario many years ago. Must have been 15 years or so. Back when I was in Quebec I had a palomino mare by the stallion Rushin Sea who was Karsh's full brother. Rushin Sea stood in the maritimes, I believe NS, until his early demise from leg damage related to a pasture incident if I recall.

Anyway my mare was a big strong girl and a freakishly great jumper and I wanted to learn more about her family tree. She was QH on the damside. According to Mr. Murphy Karsh was a grand-prix level jumper that did very well in puissance classes and most of his line/offspring had a longer head and were jumping machines. Which matched my mare's description. Karsh's grandsire First Secretary was said to have been imported as an improvement sire for the CSHA (was called something else before, but I can't remember).

Sport Horse magazine (is that even still around?) many many years ago had a bloodline research column and one write-up discussed this bloodline. One of the alternates for I believe the Olympic games was maybe by First Secret. Gosh it's been so long ago since I researched this it's hazy. I'm sure I kept that issue the question is where the heck did I stash it. I also have Mr. Murphy's letter to me tucked away somewhere.

My mare Tiffany aka "The Beast", or "B" for short, was truly a once-in-lifetime horse. When my mare retired from jumpers/eventing/barrel racing/competitive trail (where the vets said she had freakishly great recovery time for a mare her size) I bred her to the TB stallion Musing and got a stunning--although sadly premature with resulting life-long complications--Palomino filly. B passed away form cancer when Lilly was 6 months old. Lilly was exactly what I had hoped for to carry on the line and I loved her like no other. I lost her at the age of almost 7 to colic in the end.

It's funny because just last month I was scouring the Internet trying to find more offspring, preferably full TB, from this line. I found a few but they are all WB or Irish crosses. I'd love to have another. Actually, I had heard rumors years ago that there may be frozen for Karsh and tried Googling Greystone Manor since they had a website up until a couple years ago. But, no luck. I can't find a contact for them at all.

I have the perfect TB mare that would be a dream for those bloodlines. I'd even forsake JC papers for it if I could find any frozen.

Try posting also on the Canadian EMG forums.

I have a picture of Karsh jumping on my desktop and could email it to you if you like.

Let me know what you find out, I'd always love to learn more about what descendants are floating around out there.

Have sent you a pm with some info.

I used to look after a Karsh gelding out of a Clyde/TB mare. He was a big, gangly 2 year old. He was a nice big mover, but a bit of any ugly duckling.

I rode with a trainer for a few years that had a barn full of Karsh's.

Moody, temperamental, sensitive horses that were all incredibly athletic.

Thumbs up

I remember Karsh-I wonder if the the CSHA would have some info/pictures on file for him?
    For some reason I thought he was owned by Frasier Wright though.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Fraser owned Phantom, not sure about Karsh but it would make sense as the trainer I mentioned was much affiliated with him.

Yes, Fraser owned and stood Karsh at his farm, Greystone Manor.