The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A eulogy for Erikk.

Well.
    It's always the first few sentences that I seem to get hung up on...so I just type as if an old horseman friend were here next to me, drink in hand and we are talking about old loves....

silly I guess, but that is how it's gonna go in this post too...kinda rambling no doubt...

the background will suffice in a single post from here 2008:

let me add I got a horse just as this one long ago...naughty and scared and big and bad to bolt and spin,rear,roll...
    his behavior (pre ownership by me)at a NH clinic was the stuff of Valley area legend, complete with corral panel tied to him while he cantered around the parking lot
    now the previous owner was "good enough" not to mention any of this at the time of transaction...prob. didn't want to burden me with it
    ...so day one after arrival I decided I was not fighting with Mister 16.3 Opinionated Half Hannoverian(TM) about getting up and on (me all 5'6")and I mounted OHH from the off side...
    he stood like a (mildly surprised) lamb and off we went pretty as you please....to this day, I don't even bother to try the near side..I could never overcome the "panic cue" so I just went around it...he's Erikk on our FB website under "family" pics...

anyway...it's 12 years later and he now at coming 19yos...

well we had a hell of a GOOD run for an unbroke big ding dong taken for an unpaid feed bill !!

His big ass WB part ( out of the imported mare Etiennne and she by the show jumper Eisenbarth....all Hannoverian breeding) never found out there was any Arab blood there (I'm sure it'd been offended)

and the Arab blood never forgot to be affectionate and glad to see me...no matter the reason

his downfall was his QH feet which over time required more and more care and in the end no longer supported his near 17hh body...

so on Fri he was laid (with his old BFF, American Boy,the three members of the Shetland Mafia and my BEST TB mare Bellerita,)there in the graveyard in the oak trees in the very front yard where all the "family horses" are laid to rest and where I can keep their memories close.

like the class act he always was, he yawned once and fell silent, nuzzling the back of my fist once, looking for the sugar lump,with his upper lip,before he left me, as the vet worked on the other side of him.

Thanks Bud...and goodbye.

you taught me more about horses than I ever thought you would.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

So sorry for your loss
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I am very sorry for your loss, Tamara. It sounds as though Erikk was quite the grand old man.

So sorry to hear that, Tamara. May he rest in peace.

Went and found his pic, he was a lovely fellow and he was a lucky guy too... having landed in clover with you. So incredibly sorry for your loss.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

<sad smile> well done, Tamara. You captured the essence and the memories. I can almost see and smell him. Bittersweet, I'm sure.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

I know if he lived with you and was loved by you, he was an extremely happy horse. I am so sorry for your loss, but I am glad you loved him enough to feel the loss.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I know if he lived with you and was loved by you, he was an extremely happy horse. I am so sorry for your loss, but I am glad you loved him enough to feel the loss.
    I have felt it, bit by tiny bit, since I made the call last week.It's all good...he was good to me and I could be nothing but good to him...had his feet held out he may have lived to 32 or more...it was not meant to be and his time had just come.

My sadness is not that he is gone, but that I will not see him snoozing flat out in the sun on a warm winter's day.

My sadness is for me alone.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

To Tamara, a weaver of words poetic and evocative, and Erikk, who seems to have inspired them all! glasses raised and heads bowed....
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Sorry for your loss of such a memorable horse, Tamara.

((((HUGS))))
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

So sorry for your loss. RIP Erikk
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

*hugs*

Sorry for your loss. He had gone to rest with some great ones. It's always the hardest part of horse ownership isn't it?
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I'm so very sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    My sadness is for me alone.
    I understand and hope you know that we are here to support you during this difficult time.

Sending many hugs...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Hugs and Godspeed the big guy.

(((hugs))) What a marvelous fellow he sounds like. Sorry for your loss.
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

Godspeed Erikk
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

I'm so sorry for you, but my heart rejoices that Erikk found a loving home where he was loved.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.