The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Took the plunge...hope I don't regret it!

Decided to buy a pair of used Mountain Horse field boots for $50 online. I tried some boots on yesterday. The woman who sized me was a little concerned they might be a little too short when they are broken in BUT I looked at the height chart online and they are 1/2 inch taller (being a slim) than the Ariat regular/medium (she thought I was between a regular and tall in Ariat). SOOOOOOOO....I am gonna risk it because they are cheap and broken in (I only ride a few days a week and was worried about the break-in time on new boots).

Is it devastating if they aren't super tall? I am just going to start showing this year (re-rider after 17 years), so I am not super serious and don't wanna spend $$. Just don't want to look totally off.

Tell me I'm not crazy!

Don't worry about it! You'll be just fine. If they're already broken in you'll be able to tell right away - and to prevent them from dropping more use boot inserts so they stand as tall as possible when you're not using them.

If you hadn't bought them already you could ask seller what the height of the boots were incl. drop but it's too late for that now!! haha. Can't really go wrong for 50 bucks, even if they are a little short.

For that price I would not be too concerned about height! You can always buy a new pair of boots if you get more serious about showing but "not quite tall enough" boots are just fine, especially for $50! The style these days is extra, extra tall boots, but not everyone can afford or cares to keep up with ever changing fashions and so you certainly won't stick out.

You are right to worry about breaking in new boots! It is definitely painful, so don't do it if you don't have to!

My MH are a touch shorter than I'd like, but they look fine. I have huge calves and was very limited by what was available off the rack. The Spanish top is so pronounced that they "hide" being a bit too short in the back/insde. If someone looks that close, your leg is not where it belongs anyhow.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

You're not crazy!

Even if they are a bit short you will be fine. Us reriders are usually more friendly and out to have fun. We care more about how friendly and polite you are than what you are wearing. If someone is snotty you can use them as motivation to get better so you can kick their butt in the ring.

Glad you are coming back to the show ring. Have fun!
    Rule 1- Keep the horse between you and the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by karlymacrae View Post
    and to prevent them from dropping more use boot inserts so they stand as tall as possible when you're not using them.
    It is even better to lie them down when not in use, even after you have put boot trees in them.

Just a heads up - I loved my MH's but I kept getting awful rubs at the tops when I rode in them (I had the Supreme's just for show). They looked plenty tall from the side (due to the very high Spanish top as someone else mentioned), but they were too short on the inside of the leg by about an inch or more. They just didn't come up far enough and I got awful rubs that area b/c there was no protection.

(Take with grain of salt - I was also probably pinching way too much with my knee in the first place to even get rubs there. I get nervous at shows! But it doesn't happen with my Ariats, which are taller on the inside.)

Thanks, everyone! I am feeling much better and they were cheap, so in the end it isn't devastating if they don't work! I just want them to get here, so I can try them on!! I will keep you guys posted. Being a re-rider, I am still blown away by boots with ZIPPERS. Why did it take so long to figure this out??

Mountain Horse boots are comfortable and pretty durable. You'll be fine.

The newer models have a Spanish top which gives them some extra height. I foxhunt in them and they are quite comfy.

Sign up for Tack of the Day because every once in awhile they have some great specials on tall boots. That's where I got mine. In fact, I bought 2 pairs, just in case .
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

elizabuggy, for $50, you totally can't go wrong, even if they end up eventually, just being schoolies. I have thought the SAME thing about the zippers! LOVE them, except when they break! Sure make putting on and taking off boots a lot easier and they can fit so much nicer, since your foot doesn't have to slip through the ankle. I have a large calf and the old pull ons always bagged a lot in the ankle. If you are just showing locally, boots that aren't the super tall ones will look just fine. There is always going to be some folks there with no where near the knees boots on! Before Ariat started making the talls in extra wide calf, mine were always a bit shorter than I liked, but I just wear them for schooling. Have some ancient Vogels (pre-zippers!) for showing. I would show in those Ariats, if I had to, though. I am sure they will work out fine for what you need.