The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anti Kicking device

Anyone have experience with the Quick Kick Stall system? some friends of mine are thinking of getting one and i wondered if there were any experienced users on here. any other devices that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Leslie

kick chains?

Quote Originally Posted by karlymacrae View Post
    kick chains?
    I'd just try this before dumping the money into any sort of expensive system.

Kick chains work wonders.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    Unless you own the mares stabled behind us at an event a few years back. Chains didn't seem to do a darn thing for them..lol.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    They also split open the thin skin of cannon bones and make horses fearful of anyone down around their lower legs.

I was advised (by a very well known trainer) to put them on my kicker. I did it once, for 15 minutes. The chains split his legs open. He was kicking because he had EPSM, not because he was a bad horse.

Chances are if you look hard enough you can figure out the reason behind the kicking and take measures to change the behavior.....
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

The ones I have put the kicking chains on were being obnoxious. Things were not being done to suit them.

I would agree that kick chains are a wonderful device, can change obnoxious to pleasant, on horses with an attitude.

Never heard of the system you named.

concrete stalls - they do however know when they are not in concrete stalls.

I knew a horse that kicked repeatedly. Very annoying to everyone at the barn. BO decided it wasn't that he was kicking at anyone, he just liked the sound. So, she put up heavy rubber mats on the wall he kicked at. Worked like a charm, no more kicking.

I had a horse that pounded on his feeder with his front foot...sort of the opposite problem but equally irritating, especially at 2 in the morning.

I got a horse shock collar out of desperation, and followed their instructions to the "t", including setting aside one day to do nothing but monitor his pounding. I zapped him twice, and he stopped. Hasn't done it again in six months. I've officially decided he's cured.

I couldn't believe it, but it worked like a charm. And I zapped him on the lowest setting, one I tried on myself just to see what the buzz would be.

I was desperate, and it let me keep him stead of having to find him a new home. My neighbors are too close to have that behavior continue.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    I got a horse shock collar out of desperation, and followed their instructions to the "t", including setting aside one day to do nothing but monitor his pounding. I zapped him twice, and he stopped. Hasn't done it again in six months. I've officially decided he's cured.
    What system did you use?
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    They also split open the thin skin of cannon bones and make horses fearful of anyone down around their lower legs.

I was advised (by a very well known trainer) to put them on my kicker. I did it once, for 15 minutes. The chains split his legs open. He was kicking because he had EPSM, not because he was a bad horse.

Chances are if you look hard enough you can figure out the reason behind the kicking and take measures to change the behavior.....
    I have never had any kick chains split skin. You need to use smooth chain links, not to heavy and not too light.

My ASB mare used to wear kick chains and we just started putting them on a Morgan mare in my barn....tired of replacing broken boards between stalls. She kicks and slams her body at feeding time.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingQueen View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Quick Kick Stall system? some friends of mine are thinking of getting one and i wondered if there were any experienced users on here. any other devices that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Leslie

This is the system. I would not spend that much money for something that is just going to make more work by soaking the stall floor.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Default We have one

One of my clients bought the quick kick system from Dover for her very aggressive kicker... he was literally kicking his hind shoes off into the aisle way of the barn. Very aggressive and territorial of his stall, no physical issues (although it probably would have developed into issues if left unresolved)

The system works great, he stopped kicking within three days and it's been at least two months now no kicking.

There are two sensors that you attach to the stall walls, the unit is attached to the bars of the stall and when the horse kicks, the system makes a buzzing noise and then two quick pules of water shoot out in the direction of the sensor closest to where the horse kicked. Stall does not get wet, not really enough water coming out. Owner charges the unit once a week and refills the water reservoir at the same time. But he hasn't really needed it, but it's nice that even if he kicks in the middle of the night, he doesn't get away with it!

Fabulous invention.. have another client who is probably getting one for her horse to now that we know it works so well. Wish I had know about this years ago.

I think I'd rather make a soft feeder than electrocute a horse repeatedly.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I have never had my chains split the skin. I used them during feeding time when he kicked and then took them off after. He stopped kicking when they were on. I did not have to worry about him killing himself when he kicks through the wood.

Maybe the pair you had were different then mine, but if they had split the skin that I would have never used them.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I got the Vicebreaker H2 by Tri-tronics, from gundogsupply.com

They have a website that's helpful, and I called and asked a few questions before I ordered it.

Is good old fashioned pasture an option?
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    I got the Vicebreaker H2 by Tri-tronics, from gundogsupply.com

They have a website that's helpful, and I called and asked a few questions before I ordered it.
    So... did it work, or don't you know yet?
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

It worked. I zapped him two times on the same day, and he hasn't pounded since. It's been six months.