The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

Default Can any bit experts ID this brand/make/material?

I bought this years ago from Dover, all I remember is it was in the "H/J" section, and was over $200 - I thought it was KK Aurigan, but I can't find a hallmark on it anywhere now - any ideas as to what it could be? Is it just a regular eggbutt - I don't usually see such thin rings - and what is the mouth material? Any input appreciated, I don't really know which horse to use it for, or if I should just swap it for one I'd use more!

You can see a pic in my profile here (hope this links!)

Looks sort of like sweet copper to me?

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

Could it be a Herm Sprenger, do they not have any hallmarks on them? Bc I can't think what else would have been so expensive. It really doesn't matter, but it's driving me crazy! I've always found the corners a bit fat for my horse too - does that make it a softer bit?

It looks like a mikmar to me. All of the Herm Sprenger bits have a marking on them. I have seen 10 year old ones where you can still read the KK or the Germany stamp on them. My best guess is a mikmar or a stubben.

I remember these bits from back in the day and seem to think they were hollow with brass overlay on the mouth. I remember them to have been popular for a while as the "soft" bit for training youngsters and then they were found to be so fat that they actually kept a number of horses from being able to close thier mouths. I haven't seen any in years and never liked it enough to add to my arsenal. I still can't remember who it was made by. Maybe Korsteel for Miller's?

what does sweet copper look like again? in my opinion the mouth piece on that bit looks like aurigan so maybe they stopped selling it. on dover i don't think i found one single jointed aurigan bit...

if you bought it from Dover try giving them a call, customer service issues aside sometimes they can be remarkably helpful. I know they have helped me with items that I purchased years ago.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010