The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jingles for my hedgehog much needed :(

I took my hedgehog to the vet last night for more treatment for mites. Because the prior treatments didn't help, they gave her an oral med for me to give her for 3 weeks as well as a topical and an ivermectin injection. I knew Ivermectin was not recommended for small animals, but the vet said that she received ivermectin in the past and that side effects weren't common.
    I shouldn't have let her give it to her but I did, and unfortunately it looks like she was showing signs of side effects tonight Very wobbly/shaky, lethargic, too calm and not right. I brought her back to the vet at 11 tonight and saw a different vet who said that Ivermectin is def. not recommended in small animals and that it did look like she was suffering from side effects, although mild ones compared to what is sometimes seen, which is often neurological symptoms, blindness, etc. (Of course, as always happens, by the time the vet came in she was looking a good bit better and wasn't as wobbly).

They are keeping her for observation tonight but she should be ok and unless I hear otherwise I should be able to pick her up tomorrow morning. I just feel bad that I let them give her the Ivermectin last night, even though I knew (and mentioned to the vet) about the side effects. Lesson learned, unfortunately. Hopefully all goes well tonight and there are no lasting side effects. I hope this experience will let you all know not to let your small animals be treated with Ivermectin (and to speak up for your animal if the vet wants to do a treatment that you aren't comfortable with).

Please send a few jingles that she continues to improve and that I get some sleep tonight. I'm worried sick even though she should be fine.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Poor little hedgie! I think you'll be okay, though. I accidentally poisoned one of my bunnies by treating her with Frontline for mites and she had the same horrible neuro symptoms - almost in a coma for three days. It was awful She did recover once it worked its way out of her system. Just make sure little prickly has lots of water. He probably won't be eating much.

I'd be VERY angry at that vet. I gave the frontline to my bunny *without* consulting my vet or even Googling, and when I called the office in a panic, he told me to NEVER use anything like ivermectin or topical treatments without checking first. They can be fatal to non-canine/felines.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Jingling!
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Poor little hedgie! I think you'll be okay, though. I accidentally poisoned one of my bunnies by treating her with Frontline for mites and she had the same horrible neuro symptoms - almost in a coma for three days. It was awful She did recover once it worked its way out of her system. Just make sure little prickly has lots of water. He probably won't be eating much.

I'd be VERY angry at that vet. I gave the frontline to my bunny *without* consulting my vet or even Googling, and when I called the office in a panic, he told me to NEVER use anything like ivermectin or topical treatments without checking first. They can be fatal to non-canine/felines.
    I am not happy with the vet. But I also should have known better because I have heard in the past that you shouldn't use ivermectin to treat small animals. The vet she saw last night was different than the one that gave her the ivermectin and he seemed much more aware of the fact that you shouldn't use ivermectin on them and wasn't too happy that the other vet had given it to her.
    She seems to be doing better now. I picked her up this morning. She still hasn't eaten very much but they said that also could have been due to the new surroundings. I'll keep an eye on her and try to get some yummy smelly food that might entice her to eat a little bit. He gave me some charcoal suspension to try and help her along a little more but I am going to do a little research on my own to make sure that is safe to use. I thought charcoal induces vomiting but I don't know if hedgehogs can vomit...?
    Anyway, I knew before I brought her in it was going to cost me $300 just to get in the door ($250 after hours fee + $50 exam fee), plus any care costs. When I got there to pick her up today, the total cost of the bill was about $450. I was then informed that the vet waived the entire thing! I don't know why they did it, but all he told me was that I paid all I needed to pay when she was in for her normal appt. on Tuesday and that they weren't going to charge me anymore. I don't know who is more thankful... myself or my bank account lol!
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Jingles for the hedgie! I had one about 10 years ago "Harley". He was so much fun--well, as much fun as a hedgehog can be.

Jingles for your hedgehog! Hope she makes a speedy recovery.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by ManyDogs View Post
    Jingles for the hedgie! I had one about 10 years ago "Harley". He was so much fun--well, as much fun as a hedgehog can be.
    They are interesting little animals. My other one, "Finley", LOVED being with people. I swear she was like a tiny dog. She had a short life because of cancer "Toes" is the complete opposite. She really doesn't care for people and would rather be left alone.

Jingles for the Hedgie... we want pictures!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Jingles for the Hedgie... we want pictures!
    Ask and you shall receive

Miss Toes:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ings/toes2.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ings/toes1.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ings/toes3.jpg

And Finley (RIP):
    http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...ngs/hedge2.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...gs/finley1.jpg (towards the last week or so of her life. Her legs are purple and puffy because she had tumors on them and all in her chest )

How CUTE! Bet you have good gloves to hold her with
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    How CUTE! Bet you have good gloves to hold her with
    Actually I never needed gloves with Finley. With Toes I usually use gloves or a folded towel to take her out but once she wakes up and stops being so grumpy she is generally ok

Oh, so cute! Big jingles for Miss Toes. Charcoal doesn't induce vomiting, btw. It absorbs toxins that have already been ingested and neutralizes them.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/activ...article_em.htm
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Oh, so cute! Big jingles for Miss Toes. Charcoal doesn't induce vomiting, btw. It absorbs toxins that have already been ingested and neutralizes them.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/activ...article_em.htm
    Good to know, thanks!!

Wow, I didn't even know people had hedgehogs as pets, that's so cool!

Sending many jingles to you and Miss Toes.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg