The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Happy Mouth Mullen Mouth

I've occasionally seen a horse go in these. Can anyone explain its purpose? I 've mostly seen a baby green or a pre-childrens, so I assume its milder than a joint rubber. Just trying to educate myself a lil bit.

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

My jumper mare goes in one - it's got a little more "whoa" than a regular HM jointed snaffle (for her anyways) and she's more willing to hold both sides of the bit in it, which makes everything a lot easier for us both. I'm sure there's other, better explanations for its use, but that's my adult ammy version of it

It's pretty mild. I have one horse who goes in one. It is literally the only bit he'll accept. Non-stop hissy fits in everything else. He won't even accept the happy mouth regular jointed loose ring snaffle.

I used on with my appy. It was the only bit we could find that kept him from getting his tongue over the bit.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

According to Greg Best, it's the one bit you should always have in your bit box, and the one most horses will accept. Very mild, and for some reason, most horses love it.

My horse goes in this with eggbutt sides. He is very finicky in the mouth and will suck back away from most bits. This is the best bit to encourage him to seek the contact and work properly. It very mild and it's very stable in his mouth (specially with the eggbutt sides rather than loose ring sides) so he feels safer with it.

Though this is an old pic, but this (and worse, where he S shapes his neck) is what my horse 'wants' to do
    http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL481.../368377445.jpg

This is him with this bit (with lots of work, but definitely aided by the happy mouth)
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../399784268.jpg

Mullen mouth snaffles, and particularly the happy mouth version, are really good for horses that don't have a lot of room in their mouths (low palate, thick tongue) because it accommodates their tongue.

It will not poke them in the top of the mouth (like a single jointed snaffle). It works primarily on the bars and has an even pressure across the tongue.

The Happy Mouth Mullen is quite flexible and is very mild. I used it with a horse that was reluctant to reach down and take contact with the bit and it really helped.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    My horse goes in this with eggbutt sides. He is very finicky in the mouth and will suck back away from most bits. This is the best bit to encourage him to seek the contact and work properly. It very mild and it's very stable in his mouth (specially with the eggbutt sides rather than loose ring sides) so he feels safer with it.

Though this is an old pic, but this (and worse, where he S shapes his neck) is what my horse 'wants' to do
    http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL481.../368377445.jpg

This is him with this bit (with lots of work, but definitely aided by the happy mouth)
    http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL70.../399784268.jpg
    All I can say is WOW! That doesn't even look like the same horse! I love happy mouths for a lot of reasons but you certainly can't give a bit credit for that transformation--it took a lot of good riding and elbow grease to get there!

Haha, thanks. Yes A LOT of work has gone into that, but there was an immediate, and noted difference when we switched to the happy mouth.

My guy used to go in a rubber tom thumb (non jointed) pelham. I swapped to the mullen mouth happy mouth once he had a good foundation (after trying a jointed snaffle with disastrous results) and he is very happy AND manageable in that bit. He's a very hot, very small horse and I think a jointed bit was just too much for his very small mouth. In fact, most of the very "sensitive" or hot horses I've ridden have gone better in some version of a straight mouth bit. Bitting is super important, and often overlooked. It can literally change a horse's personality.

I love this bit! All of my jumpers have used it at some point! And all were converted from the rubber mullen mouth large shank pelhams.

My first jumper flatted beautifully in one, we jumped him in the pelham version of it too when he was a bit strong.

My next little guy switched to the full cheek version and he was so happy with it.

My mare jumps in the pelham version of it and flats some times in the full cheek version.

I don't know why but it seems to work on all my horses! I love this mouth piece!

My guy goes in one. I school him at home in a bitless bridle but obviously can't show in one. I've found that he accepts this bit the best. He's got a super soft mouth and is very sensitive. I LOVE it.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I school my gelding in one. We used to ride in the Happy Mouth double jointed bit with the roller in the middle (full cheek) and he was OK in that, but then I switched to a loose ring KK French link with the lozenge in the middle. It seemed to be working OK for a while, but then he started to get more fussy with it, so we switched to the Happy Mouth mullen mouth loose ring. It is WONDERFUL. He goes beautifully in that bit and seems very happy with it. It was also a favorite of the crazy (but very good) grand prix trainer that used to be at my old barn.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

It is something that many many horses go well in. I find it really works well for horses that are sensitive but still can get strong. Like ones that tend to get behind the bit easily, I have found they don't drop behind it as much and you can actually have a good contact with them without them dropping behind the bit. I prefer the ones that have a little more give, I think it is the give that the horses like. It is one of my favorite bits. As is my kk ultra, and then for heavier stronger horses I love my french link 3 ring (would love that to actually be a kk ultra 3 ring but I didn't have the money!) and my broken segunda (mostly just for the show ring).

My TB mare uses the mullen mouth if we need to use a bit. She has a low palate. small mouth and this is the bit she accepts the best. For a number of years I have been riding her in a hackamore. If we have to use a bit(did a CT last fall and needed a bit for dressage), we use it only the day of the show. If I school to much in it, she starts to get heavy and lean on it and generally fussy. She is much better in the mullen mouth though than jointed bits.

This sounds like a bit I'd like to try with my mare. For those who use them, do you purchase the same size that you presently use in a metal bit, or do you need to go a little bigger? I presently alternate between a french link snaffle (loose ring) and a waterford, both 5".

I would say the size you normally use. I've had mine for a number of years and had to get a 5 as that was the smallest they went. My mare could probably use 4.5 or 4.75. It slightly sticks out on each side, but doesn't seem to bother her so that's what we use.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Hinderella, I would stick with the 5".

Thanks, Justice. I read some reviews on the Smartpak site that seemed to say the same thing. I look forward to trying this out. The pony actually likes her Waterford better than the "milder" snaffle bit, and I think it's because it lies better over her tongue.

If a 5" waterford fits, then a loose ring happy mouth mullen mouth should fit the same.

In both bits, you want to go up slightly from a fixed ring bit or they will pinch the horse's lips.

My horse really likes the Waterford bit, probably because of how it drapes. My last horse hated it but loved the Happy Mouth Mullen.

Although I agree with the idea that it's mostly the rider, not the bit, I also think that horses have preferences based on the conformation of their mouths.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.