The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I have plenty of field experience with paraprofessionals who get too big for their britches and have a crappy attitude to match.
    Click here before you buy.

Too late - I reported the post before you edited it.

Since you are so certain that those using Pentosan are "ignorant", I suggest you take your complaint to:

C. Wayne McIlwraith, BVSc (DVM), PhD, FRCVS, DSc, Dr. med vet (hc), Diplomate ACVS.

Professor of Surgery
    Director or Orthopaedic Research
    Colorado State University

He is the author of the papers I linked to.

One of my vets treats horses on the Olympic Team. Olympic level/FEI horses. Shall I tell him of your complaints as well? Because he is also recommending Pentosan for the treatment (and prevention) of osteoarthritis in the horse.

You know - I just find these two gentlemen far more qualified to advise me than some anonymous person screeching on the internet.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    I see ignorance is shining brightly today by those that think they know something but have little field experience!
    You have a pharmacist, at least two veterinarians AND a human cardiologist posting on this thread, as well as at least one vet tech (I went through Purdue University's program).

What are YOUR qualifications? How long have you been a vet tech - and did you go to school for your LVT or RVT? Or was it 'on the job' training? (sadly becoming more and more popular these days).

How long have you been working with the vet?

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Too late - I reported the post before you edited it.

Since you are so certain that those using Pentosan are "ignorant", I suggest you take your complaint to:

C. Wayne McIlwraith, BVSc (DVM), PhD, FRCVS, DSc, Dr. med vet (hc), Diplomate ACVS.

Professor of Surgery
    Director or Orthopaedic Research
    Colorado State University

He is the author of the papers I linked to.

One of my vets treats horses on the Olympic Team. Olympic level/FEI horses. Shall I tell him of your complaints as well? Because he is also recommending Pentosan for the treatment (and prevention) of osteoarthritis in the horse.

You know - I just find these two gentlemen far more qualified to advise me than some anonymous person screeching on the internet.
    Well, congratulations! I hope you get some kind of award! But, once again, you posted your 2cents worth before you read what was going on! Pentosan is an awesome product. The issue is (if you would have read) a majority of vets will not write a script for it for varies reasons. Good luck, again!

OH and yes, Dr McIlwraith is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by tarynls View Post
    You have a pharmacist, at least two veterinarians AND a human cardiologist posting on this thread, as well as at least one vet tech (I went through Purdue University's program).

What are YOUR qualifications? How long have you been a vet tech - and did you go to school for your LVT or RVT? Or was it 'on the job' training? (sadly becoming more and more popular these days).

How long have you been working with the vet?
    Wow, is it a job interview? Look up the information. Compounding a drug for convenience sake is not legal. Stocking compounded drugs on the truck for stock, is not legal. Marking up compounded drugs is also illegal. But some people like to make up their own rules!

I read the entire thread. Unfortunately, you quickly derailed it - which is your custom. The OP asked specific questions which many attempted to answer. You were not among them.

You have absolutely no idea what "most vets" will or will not do. "most vets". Really? Not around here - vets around here prescribe it. A lot. Few have a problem prescribing it - though some prefer different products, for a variety of reasons.

One of the top clinics in the United States actively encourages clients to use Pentosan on their horses. I take my horses to that clinic. It is not illegal to purchase the product, nor is it illegal to administer to horses. Despite your protestations to the contrary.

You are embarrassing your profession, and I'm sorry about that because the vet techs I've known are pretty professional people.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I have plenty of field experience with paraprofessionals who get too big for their britches and have a crappy attitude to match.
    Oh bummer, maybe it's wearing off.

Wow, is it a job interview? Look up the information. =!
    Since you gave me permission, I did.

You are a customer service person at a small clinic.

I don't see how that makes you qualified to issue legal opinions intended to be binding upon a profession you don't even belong to.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I read the entire thread. Unfortunately, you quickly derailed it - which is your custom. The OP asked specific questions which many attempted to answer. You were not among them.

You have absolutely no idea what "most vets" will or will not do. "most vets". Really? Not around here - vets around here prescribe it. A lot. Few have a problem prescribing it - though some prefer different products, for a variety of reasons.

One of the top clinics in the United States actively encourages clients to use Pentosan on their horses. I take my horses to that clinic. It is not illegal to purchase the product, nor is it illegal to administer to horses. Despite your protestations to the contrary.

You are embarrassing your profession, and I'm sorry about that because the vet techs I've known are pretty professional people.
    From the comments you have made it is obvious that you did not read or were not able to follow along. The is very apparent from your comments saying that I said those that use Pentosan were ignorant. Maybe you had a lapse or just dreamed that up. Not sure. Top clinics, please tell. It is interesting that you quote CSU's research. Have you tried to get a script from them for it? Good luck!

Talk about derailing a thread, you're the engineer! You had nothing to add to the thread then you stick your head in at this point. There was actually some very good info about legality issues that came up and were posted by others that people should take into consideration.

Since you gave me permission, I did.

You are a customer service person at a small clinic.

I don't see how that makes you qualified to issue legal opinions intended to be binding upon a profession you don't even belong to.
    Oh my. You are having a bad day. Customer service. Hmmmm, I guess that would be one way to put it of being on the road for decades! Keep dreaming sunshine!

Time to honk your horn again, side tracked thread coming through!

I got a prescription from my vet - who is licensed to practice in my state.

The research I linked to is bona fide research - and it was posted in response to the OP's comment.

It seems you have a very big grudge against the veterinary profession. In which case - you should really take up your complaints with the profession. State by state if necessary.

It seems the licensed vets posting on this thread are far more qualified to decide how to run their practices than you are.

You are not credible.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I got a prescription from my vet - who is licensed to practice in my state.

The research I linked to is bona fide research - and it was posted in response to the OP's comment.

It seems you have a very big grudge against the veterinary profession. In which case - you should really take up your complaints with the profession. State by state if necessary.

It seems the licensed vets posting on this thread are far more qualified to decide how to run their practices than you are.

You are not credible.
    Simply because your vet writes a script doesn't make it legal. You fail to understand the difference in that. Did you get the Pentosan compounded or did you get it from the manufacturer? Is your vet one that writes compounded scripts because of price or convenience? If so, that explains where your knowledge or lack there of comes from.

Oh my. You are having a bad day. Customer service. Hmmmm, I guess that would be one way to put it of being on the road for decades! Keep dreaming sunshine!

Time to honk your horn again, side tracked thread coming through!
    Really? You must have been on the road since infancy. You're too young to have "decades of experience" doing anything.

Too late - folks have figured you out. Just hope no one on this BB is a client of your employer.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Really? You must have been on the road since infancy. You're too young to have "decades of experience" doing anything.

Too late - folks have figured you out. Just hope no one on this BB is a client of your employer.
    You have a great imagination. I wish I was that young and semi retired which I am now. But now I'm old and semi retired. You keep reaching for the stars but falling on your head!

I'll post this again since it was apparently missed earlier. Here are the AVMA rules regarding compounding: http://www.avma.org/issues/drugs/com...g_brochure.asp

Please tell me where it says that the compounding of products such as Pentosan is illegal? I'm not stupid and have vast experience in the equine industry. I don't read anything of the sort in that document, nor any others I have found.

I'm a graduate of a 4 year animal health technology program who opted not to get a LVTG as I was going to pursue a DVM instead. I decided to change courses half way through my masters program and went to work as a senior veterinary technician at one of the TOP equine hospitals in the world where I worked with 6 ACVIM boarded internists daily as well as several boarded surgeons, theriogenologists, and too numerous to count field doctors. I am hyperbaric and large animal emergency response trained. None of the vets I worked with there nor the vets who take care of my horse now have a problem writing me a script for Pentosan. I'm sure the numbers I am talking about far exceed yours. I now do way more customer service than actual hands on and would also move vets if I ever dealt with an assistant such as you. I won't demean other techs I know to call you a tech.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Can you get Pentosan from the manufacture?

You're the eggspurt. You tell us.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Can you get Pentosan from the manufacture?
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    You're the eggspurt. You tell us.

Funny, I asked davistina which manufacturer supplies pentosan in post #26 and received no response.

Funny, I asked you!

I see ignorance is shining brightly today by those that think they know something but have little field experience!
    Clearly you have never heard of things such as iPhones, laptops in the truck, and DAYS OFF after a night on call. I cannot FATHOM you being allowed near clients let alone patients.

Clearly you do not have much horse experience since you think that every horse can be dosed with oral medication. Do you not have any feline patients that have owners who are unable to pill them? This is no different.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.