The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default People should listen to this kid.......

He's wise beyond many adults, despite being only 11 years old. His teacher, OTOH, ought to be shot.

A Conversation with Jake......
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I'm not ashamed to admit, I'm crying right now. I hope that little boy fully realizes all the potential he so clearly has. So sad a stranger saw it and no one close to him did. God Bless the gate man for his understanding, tolerance and encouragement. Those are real morals.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Hmmmm.... sorry, but my BS meter is going off big time on this story.... Maybe it's just the cloying way it's written but it's just doesn't pass the sniff test to me. If it's real - poor kid & my apologies, but not buying it -- from the snooty horse show princesses to the aw-shucks cowboy to the meanie self-righteous vegetarian teacher....

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

What a nice, er, story? I'm with fargaloo on this one. A bit too folksey and trite. I get the message, but please, please I am so tired of teachers getting the blame for everything. This reads as a modern fable, not a true story. Sorry.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Hmmmm.... sorry, but my BS meter is going off big time on this story.... Maybe it's just the cloying way it's written but it's just doesn't pass the sniff test to me. If it's real - poor kid & my apologies, but not buying it -- from the snooty horse show princesses to the aw-shucks cowboy to the meanie self-righteous vegetarian teacher....
    Yeah, same here. This reads like the type of emails my grandmother forwards to me.

Even if it is a fable or embellishes the truth, it's still one with a message. Maybe it was just the blogger's way of posing the idea of an Equine Recycling Center and it came off better as told by a child.

I have an ADHD child that makes alot of people crazy but if you can get him to sit and focus, it's amazing how many interesting ideas he has. At the age of 9 he came up with a plan to make "rubber" out of eggs! (when he decided he hated boiled eggs) and now he's trying to figure out flying cars.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Even if it is a fable or embellishes the truth, it's still one with a message. Maybe it was just the blogger's way of posing the idea of an Equine Recycling Center and it came off better as told by a child.
    Yeah, but I'm allergic to this kind of manipulative cr*p. I have no problem with an open discussion of this idea; I do have a problem with pushing an agenda by cloaking it in a story of a sad neglected kid whose Words of True Wisdom are lost because we are too snobby/self-righteous to hear them...

I like my fiction to be identified as such.... and better written.

Yeah, but I'm allergic to this kind of manipulative cr*p. I have no problem with an open discussion of this idea; I do have a problem with pushing an agenda by cloaking it in a story of a sad neglected kid whose Words of True Wisdom are lost because we are too snobby/self-righteous to hear them...

I like my fiction to be identified as such.... and better written.
    ^^^

I am going to believe it whether it is real or not- so kudos to the smart kid.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

That blog is written by whoever wants to send in a story. And that is what that is...a made up story. My money is on Slaughterhouse Sue. They had an almost identical plan...except, she was the one who profitted from the slaughtered horses. And there wasn't a detailed "kill room/chute".

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    That blog is written by whoever wants to send in a story. And that is what that is...a made up story. My money is on Slaughterhouse Sue. They had an almost identical plan...except, she was the one who profitted from the slaughtered horses. And there wasn't a detailed "kill room/chute".
    I think that, in your anti slaughter zealotry, you missed the important parts of this story.

Happens to all of us some times.

Who is Slaughterhouse Sue? She sounds pretty metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I think that, in your anti slaughter zealotry, you missed the important parts of this story.
    This wouldn't be any more palatable to me if the sad-eyed kid wrote about how horse slaughter is inhumane and got a "big fat F" with a comment from the meanie teacher saying "Horses aren't humans and have no feelings!!"

It's propaganda presented as fact and that stinks regardless of who's dishing it up.

Well, not blaming ALL teachers, but we all have come across the one teacher who is a little self absorbed and egocentric about their own self importance.
    You know, the kind who writes on a child's face with a sharpy....
    Or the one who makes 6 year old kids draw petitions for the mayor of NYC to 'free the carriage horses'

The story is good.
    We have met the kid that talks too much, that is shooed away because of it, that is in the way and in the shadow of the other siblings.

Does it have the ring of a Family Circle special? Absolutely!

But what if it actually IS true!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Default hmm.

I'd give that poorly written story an F.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I can't even begin to list all the things that are off in that story. Nice, cheesy piece of fiction, but nothing more.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    But what if it actually IS true!
    Well, then I'm wrong and I'll apologize. But I really don't think so.....

This kind of stuff makes me crazy. I got my panties in a bunch this summer over the "horrific story of spousal and horse abuse" that turned out to be largely fabricated. My panties got bunched not because I don't care about abused horses or women, but when people make crap up to further an agenda (whether to sway people to a particular opinion, or advance a career, or sell papers), the whole nature of public discourse is devalued. Janet Cooke had her Pulitzer prize revoked for fabricating a story about an 8-year old heroin addict. She didn't make it up entirely, either -- she had heard that there were kids like this out there, but when she couldn't track one down she invented "Jimmy".

Bloggers aren't held to the same standards as salaried journalists, but they should be. If this blogger wants to present an idea about slaughter, have at it -- but have the stones to actually stand behind it; not present it as the miraculous work of some sweet little savant angel with a supporting cast of crappy family, nasty teachers, rotten horse show people, etc. It's manipulative and dishonest and it sucks. I have all the sympathy in the world for abused spouses, abused horses, 8 year old heroin addicts and pushed-around little kids -- but not when they are fabrications of someone with an agenda. "Could be true" doesn't cut it with me.

End of rant

This wouldn't be any more palatable to me if the sad-eyed kid wrote about how horse slaughter is inhumane and got a "big fat F" with a comment from the meanie teacher saying "Horses aren't humans and have no feelings!!"

It's propaganda presented as fact and that stinks regardless of who's dishing it up.

Exactly, there is much we can take apart in that story, but the idea of the whole was the teacher's comments.
    Given the preceding presentation of the story, THAT was I think what some here are making THAT point valid.

Some will paint all they see according to their trigger topics, as some are here, denying the story because they are anti slaughter.

You are right, if that story was anti horse slaughter and there are many out there in their propaganda like that, when the story is about other than anti slaughter, it is missing the story to just comment on the slaughter issue.

What I take out of that story is that we have to be careful, all of us, to see that our words are also heard, no matter what side of the fence we are in ANY topic.

We live today in the deep of the information age, as this appropriate blog on this topic comments on:

---"

How HSUS Uses Social Media To Derail Ranchers
    Amanda Radke January 11th, 2012
    A wolf in sheep’s clothing, the Humane Society of the U.S. (HSUS) is PETA’s sophisticated, smooth, well-oiled, well-versed cousin. Dressed in business suits and ties instead of standing in the streets wearing lettuce leaves, HSUS uses scare tactics, litigation, legislation and sappy commercials to raise money for its ultimate goal of abolishing animal agriculture and promoting a vegan diet.

A recent report by Truffle Media Newsshowcases a presentation made by Carie Lewis, HSUS director of emerging media. Whether you’re a supporter of HSUS or not, Lewis offers a great view into how HSUS is strategic in its use of social media.

“Everyone in agriculture needs to leverage this HSUS information to help advocate (aka agvocate) their agriculture, farm, and ranch story,” according to Truffle Media News.

According to Lewis, here is the HSUS social-media strategy:

1. Be where people are.

2. Stay on top of the latest trends.

3. Research new opportunities.

4. Train staff and have guidelines.

5. Take an integrated approach.

6. Measure everything.

7. Learn from others and adapt.

8. Showcase successes.

9. Listen.

10. Be transparent.

11. Respond to everyone.

12. Don’t be afraid to fail.

13. Learn from mistakes.

To watch the entire presentation, click here. Love them or hate them, there are some solid nuggets of advice in this presentation. How have you successfully used online social media tools to share your story? Offer some advice to your fellow cattlemen today! Let’s work to make some solid connections this week and bridge the gap between consumers and producers."---

That applies to all of us, even those here.
    I think this story is but one more way for someone to show how we can be misled so easily, especially kids.

Those in the NYC carriage industry have been living with this for decades now, all that insidious misinformation, putting doubts in the minds of everyone, branded as abusers.
    The world is changing and we better learn to change with it and that, at times, will mean stopping and thinking a bit more than some seem to be used to.

I think - aside from the pro/anti agenda - the point is that we all to often don't take the time to listen to kids. We miss out on some fantastic ideas. yes, some are just fantastic , but hey, some might actually be good.
    In the process we stifle imagination and clip the wings of the future generation.

And yes, we have all seen the teacher, heck, the adult to do that, by merit of their own conviction and self importance.

yes, I do find it hard to believe that an 11yo boy can concoct a 'horse recycle' plant.
    But it is hardly out of the realm of possibility.
    Not if the kid has been exposed to such thing as shooting animals, dealer/feed lots, ranch life.

I don't even think the slaughter issue is central to the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I think - aside from the pro/anti agenda - the point is that we all to often don't take the time to listen to kids. We miss out on some fantastic ideas. yes, some are just fantastic , but hey, some might actually be good.
    In the process we stifle imagination and clip the wings of the future generation.

And yes, we have all seen the teacher, heck, the adult to do that, by merit of their own conviction and self importance.

yes, I do find it hard to believe that an 11yo boy can concoct a 'horse recycle' plant.
    But it is hardly out of the realm of possibility.
    Not if the kid has been exposed to such thing as shooting animals, dealer/feed lots, ranch life.

I don't even think the slaughter issue is central to the story.

It's the writing style and the overly sensational delivery that give it away as bunk. No one is saying that kids aren't misunderstood geniuses.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory