The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default :( They put gasoline in my farm truck

Le sigh. Truck aka old faithful hay truck is @ the mechanic now. Last time I stop @ full service island! My back was killing me so I didn't pump my own. Store is being very good about it but this could be the old girl's death blow. I drove about 1.5 miles and that was all she wrote. Thank goodness I hadn't hitched up the trailer yet and only had a few bales of hay on.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Not the end! Same thing happened to my diesel truck... tank and lines flushed (about $400 in 2000) and all was well.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Not the end of the world. Just think of it as a flushing of the arteries(lines & fuel tank)! All the residual at the bottom of the fuel tank will be cleaned out.

Awww, diesels are tough! MUCH better to put gas in a diesel than diesel in a gas!

She'll get a nice flush, and be right as rain.

ah, pain in the butt.

But - of course once you run into the problem it is too late - a little bit of gasoline does not hurt a diesel.
    Unlike the reverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

We have our own on farm tanks for diesel and gasoline.
    One time, the delivery man put gasoline in the diesel one, diesel in the gasoline one.
    Happened to gas the riding mower, that quickly died.
    Trying to restart it, looked at the filter and RED DIESEL in it!

We had to drain and clean all lines and change filters in all vehicles and tractors and including the bulldozer, that I had just filled with diesel, that happened to be gasoline.

Yes, gasoline in a diesel engine can burn many parts off, expensive to fix.

The fuel company kept saying someone else must have done that, they would never do it wrong.
    We changed fuel delivery company after that.

I hope your truck will be like new.

Glad to hear it doesn't seem like a huge deal to reverse this issue. I have a car that is not traditionally diesel, so I'm perpetually terrified someone is going to put gas in it. Sorry to hijack somewhat, but what are the "symptoms" of having gas in your diesel? Sputter and die and need a tow?

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post
    Glad to hear it doesn't seem like a huge deal to reverse this issue. I have a car that is not traditionally diesel, so I'm perpetually terrified someone is going to put gas in it. Sorry to hijack somewhat, but what are the "symptoms" of having gas in your diesel? Sputter and die and need a tow?
    There is a real risk of fire, because gas will burn hotter than the diesel parts are made for.

The other way, diesel in a gas engine will just gum it up.

At least that is what I remember from talking to the mechanics after it happened to us long ago and he may have been wrong.

Grataan...an attendant pumped the wrong fuel into your truck? Will you ask the station to cover any flush costs?

Thankfully that doesn't usually cause any major issues, but it's a pita to flush the whole thing. Just a couple months ago I did a flying leap tackle to DH when I walked out of the garage to see him fueling up my brand new diesel tractor with gas. Seriously? Let me break it in before you try to break it, LOL!
    He's so sweet to want to top it off for me, but he really does need to remember that the "big" tractors get the yellow cans of fuel and the lawnmower gets the red can like the car and pickup do.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Thought the nozzle sizes were different and the openings in the gas tanks
    made to match the size of the nozzles. How did they do that?????

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Diesel nozzles are larger so a gas nozzle will fit into a diesel fill pipe. OTOH, a diesel nozzle won't fit in in a gas fill pipe unless it is a VERY old car - from the leaded gas days.

Maybe they need to make them different shapes - square and round .

Christa

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Eh, it is usually not life ending for the engine unless it grenades (which it will do idling on a hot day full of gasoline)
    A drain and flush and you should be good to go
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Ouch, let us know if they can clean her up!

I pulled into a gas staion at an interstate area once, big commercial truck area in back, I was looking for the auto diesel up front - then abruptly noticed that ALL the fueling nozzel handles were green I went inside to ask a clerk and they said that all the diesel was in back, even the taxed stuff. And oh yes they had stories about the folks who hadn't noticed and went ahead and filled up. Shame on this station tho.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.Hare.Jones View Post
    Not the end! Same thing happened to my diesel truck... tank and lines flushed (about $400 in 2000) and all was well.
    Heh, the RENTAL alone was over $400. Mechanic says not to worry he will take care of the old girl. It still pains me to see her all hooked up to a tow truck . Thank goodness I'm not on call tonight cause I have had THE WORST two days and after this incident (which a friend so aptly described as 'the cherry on top of the shi! sandwich that was [my] day') I needed a beer. And a taco. Thanks for the reassurance though. I swear before all that is holy I will never let someone else pump my fuel ever again, I don't care if I have to crawl to the pump because both my legs are broken.

I don't have this problem in the vet truck because our clinic has a cardlock membership and I usually stop at truck stops-where there isn't even a fuel attendant let alone a full service island. Thank GOD it wasn't the vet truck. My boss would DIE. It's practically brand new lol.

MistyBlue: Yep, an attendant did it, and yes, the station is covering the cost of the tow, the cost of the repairs, and the cost of the rental car. And the store manager bought me Starbucks cause we were shivering while filling out the insurance paperwork.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Aack my sympathies. I know someone who pulled up to a gas station a couple of hours out of town pulling a trailer full of horses on their way to a horse show only to have the attendant get confused and fill with gasoline. They ended up making panicked phone calls to get friends to come with trailers and get the horses to the show grounds!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I have actually had nightmares about doing this.

Glad to hear all will be well and that the station is covering everything

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post

Exactly, I did not think it was physically possible.

Default fuels

Where are you people that have places where folks pump your fuel for you???????????? If someone put the wrong fuel in my truck, I'd see that they paid for the flush/repair. And, you know if yui want something done correctly, do it yourself

I drive a fuel truck, and also occasionally pump fuel from our cardlocks. It is frightening how easy it is to get the two fuels mixed up. My very first week I pumped dyed gas into a transport truck instead of dyed diesel, our dyed product comes from the same pump, one side, diesel, the other gas.

My boss was very good about it, didn't even yell at me. It took our mechanic about 2 hours to flush the guys system out and replace all the filters. It cost us about $1,000.00.

Bluey, the delivery guys are human, so yeah they can pump gas into diesel tanks pretty easy if you are not paying attention, smart farmers check their tanks after a delivery, you just never know if the guy had a bad day.

I once accidentally put a few gallons of gas into my diesel..I was having a senior moment I guess. Anyway, I topped it with diesel and drove it clean. It didn't hurt it...or at least I'm at 175,000 miles and still running nicely. :-) Now a WHOLE tank of gas might be an issue.

In the First Gulf War, the troops ran out of diesel so they used JP4 (jet fuel which is kerosene basically) and put a quart of oil in the tank to lubricate the fuel (or so I was told by my husband who was there as a young Lieutenant). The diesels ran well enough on that apparently. Diesels are a lot less picky than gas engines on what you feed them.