The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question pulsed electromagnetic fields therapy

We are going to have one of these available for our use at a highly discounted rate. Has anyone used this therapy for maintenance or treatment of injury in your horses?

Yes, have used it several times. It does a nice job of loosening up tight muscles. I also have been using it this winter on a horse smith a damaged thigh muscle - gets more blood flow, etcetera to the area.
    I think you can compare to a massage - less specific, but possibly deep reach, with less physical effort on the part of that therapist.

Yes, We have used one a lot. Some horses love it and can almost fall asleep and others don't care for it at all.

We have found it very useful for horses with back issues. Our horse had broken his pelvis in a trailer accident and had sore back problems after. He loves his P3 sessions and that has really helped him remain comfortable and rideable.

I understand that it can be of help with sore feet as it can improve circulation.

A few years back I had a “pulsed magnetic therapy” experience. It was called an MRI.

The machine was huge in a dedicated room. You were frisked before you went in for any ferrous items. It gave a wonderful experience analogous to being buried alive. It actually affected my tissue and generated an diagnostic image.

Unless the “pulsed magnetic therapy” machine in big and comes in its own room it’s likely a project of St. Phineas.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

Are you talking about the blankets that have the battery backs and send electromagnetic pulses through the blanket?
    We have one of these:
    http://www.centurion-therapy.com/

The odd horse doesn't like it but most horses totally love it. I use it on every horse post workout while they have their legs iced. Provides increased circulation to flush out lactic acid and really seems to relax them at the same time.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

If you are talking about "Magna-wave" therapy, I have had it performed on my horses successfully many times. In fact, just scheduled a session for my guys!