The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on this feed....

Quote Originally Posted by Fenfox1 View Post
    I think this: The Feed Tag

A guaranteed analysis is printed on every bag because it is required by law. Personally I don’t care for the information much as it does nothing to indicate what the results of feeding the product are going to be. I want you to make a purchasing decision based on results other horse owners are experiencing, not by comparing the feed tag to tags on normal horse feed. I know some folks will get all bent out of shape as they have in the past, but what do you really want, wonderful healthy horses, or what you think the protein and fat etc should be on the feed tag. I prefer the results myself and so do all my feed clients, that’s why the analysis in not on the website.

... is asinine. Other than that not impressed with ingredients. Nothing jumps out at me with novelty.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmmmm, I didn't see that. Sounds like a bunch of malarkey to me

Agreed--there is a good reason why the guaranteed analysis is there.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you can't put your guaranteed analysis on the website, I won't look at your product. Transparency is key in the feed industry!

4 members found this post helpful.

It's more expensive than Genesis (an organic whole grains feed which has rather more science behind it) & based upon Thrive ingredients that's a lot of mark-up ...

Just curious, what is it's price point?

Go to equinesite.com and do a search on their bulletin board - there have been numerous threads on this feed. People have gone nuts over this feed. I've never tried it and don't plan on it - i'm happy with my Triple Crown results.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

How about this feed?

http://renewgold.com/

Just curious... what are your needs? If we knew that we could steer you in the right direction
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I have ASPC and ApHC's. Everything from broodmares, weanlings, stallions. Some riding, some driving, some halter. None in hard work.

My go to is TC Senior.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Thrive is the big thing right now in New England. I really don't get it. A lot of people I know that feed it free feed it which I just think is crazy. My favorite feed (ration balancer) is Buckeye Gro N Win.

TC Senior and Buckeye Gro N Win are perennial favorites here. I am happy with what I am using (Nutrena SC M&F and Proforce Fuel), just always looking at new feeds, seeing if anyone has found something outstanding. However the fads rarely last. Always like input on feeds. Have 13 head and here in SWFL, spend a fortune on hay that most of you (in the North) would hate! Thanks for the input!

If your horse will eat it, the Renew Gold produces good results in the horses I've seen it used on. Calm energy, good weight, nice coats and feet.

I decided to try it on my hard keeper old man. Poor boy behaved like I was trying to poison him... but he can be a little picky in his old age.

This is scary (the horse ate 120 lbs of feed and couldn't move!?), unprofessional, and irrelevant- it's enough to make me pass, regardless of the actual content of the feed (which I couldn't find- another deal breaker). http://thrivefeed.com/feeding-instructions/

I used to use Triple Crown but it got exceedingly more difficult to find and order in reliably. We're using McCauleys now, and I've been very happy with it, as well as their rep.

WTF

For rescue horses just feed free choice as much as they will eat. They will self-regulate as they recover from starvation.
    And if they die (from being overfed too quickly) let's blame their prior condition...?!?