The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default And the waiting begins....

So some of you may have followed a few of my threads, one being about the counter offer being higher then appraisal. Well we found another farm! It's 20 minutes closer to my work, currently I'm driving 55 minutes to work, as is my husband (same town). It's 10.3 acres, 1850 farm house, small barn, large equipment shed. Land is flat and cleared. We put an offer in (well below asking) and it was accepted the first time!

House inspection was today and so far no big surprises, just minor things. Banking stuff is all in order. So now waiting on the final inspection report and appraisal. Hoping to close by the end of February. We have a quote for fencing the perimeter and putting in a 14 stall 36 X 84 foot barn with 10 foot overhang on both sides. To do ALL of this, fencing, fixing old barn, new barn, fixing up minor things is house will take leave us 40K LESS then what we offered on the original farm. Plus closer to work. A little less land but more USEABLE land.

Man I am renting from and selling his farm has been very kind to us. All his plans are on hold as he has no buyers. But seems like for us things may well go in the direction we want it to. Plus I am ecstatic over a brand NEW barn!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Congrats on your find! and at a good price too.

Will your kids be able to stay in the same school district?

Sounds like a win all around. Congrats and best wishes for smooth sailing toward the close.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Sounds great! I do remember the other thread and this is the way it should be!

I'm so happy for you! And I'm glad your horses can stay until February (at least I'm assuming that), but if not I bet you can find a temporary place until the fences and barn are done. Remember the in thing for house interior paint is everything flat latex (it just wouldn't do to not do the 'in' thing would it?).
    Last edited by JanM; Jan. 10, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Seeee, we told you so!

So very happy for you!! Can't wait to see pictures
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Congratulations! Especially on the "flat" part!
    A true horse person you are... happy about a brand new barn, content with a 150 year old house. My kind of gal.

Talking

Congratulations. Yes, I do remember the previous thread. See, sometimes good things DO happen to deserving people.

I'm quite sure you can figure out a good use for that extra $40K. If you can't, send it to me.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Oldpony said; "A true horse person you are... happy about a brand new barn, content with a 150 year old house. My kind of gal.."

That was the hard part about our farm search: we kept being shown huge McMansions on no acreage, so when we found a place with a relatively small old farm house and acreage, it was a no brainer...

Good luck! Amazing how things work out
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

If anyone has facebook, I think this is a public folder: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2841273&type=3
    www.frostyoaks.com

Yaay! Fingers crossed!! Now...did I understand correctly that you're going to be left with 40K (if this goes thru) more than you would have on the last one you offered on?.....If so, use that to buy those 26 acres for sale next door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With all your horses, you'll be needing more than the 10! (bad enabler here.) hehehe...But, seriously! and Congrats !!!!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I love the pictures. If you can do it, buy the land next door just to control the resale. Even if you don't want the land for yourself you could make sure it's not a subdivision next door (or a NASCAR training track either). And if you don't want to use it and it's fenced you can rent it out for someone to run cattle on or something.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    If you can do it, buy the land next door just to control the resale. Even if you don't want the land for yourself you could make sure it's not a subdivision next door. And if you don't want to use it and it's fenced you can rent it out for someone to run cattle on or something.
    THIS!
    Even if the added acres are not fenced you can rent it to someone to grow hay - and take payment in hay

LOL!
    Yup - the house always takes 2nd place to a new barn
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Ooooh, what potential!!!! And I'll third the ditto on "buy the land next door"
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Ooooh, what potential!!!! And I'll third the ditto on "buy the land next door"
    me three---absolutely grab onto that acreage any way you can--it's very desirable to have as big a buffer as you can with animals.

and congratulations too!

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    Yaay! Fingers crossed!! Now...did I understand correctly that you're going to be left with 40K (if this goes thru) more than you would have on the last one you offered on?.....If so, use that to buy those 26 acres for sale next door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With all your horses, you'll be needing more than the 10! (bad enabler here.) hehehe...But, seriously! and Congrats !!!!
    Well I won't "have" 40K extra, I'm just going to not have to borrow that and not stretch myself too thin. As it is now my mortgage is the exact same as our rent is. However I'm not past trying to figure something out. I know they want to sell but I wonder if they would rent to own or something. I can always ask, what can they say "no?". I also have a boarder who is actively looking for land and has actually been considering that piece. We may work something out where she can buy 6 acres or so and I can have 20. But we'll see.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Do buy the land next door. Zoning and acceptable uses can change at the next city council (or whoever makes and amends land use regultions there) meeting.

Don't expect to split the acreage if it's not already in two. That may take a meeting . IF zoning allows lots that size, with the use(s) you had in mind..