The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to do with old, low-end tack and outdated clothing

I'm cleaning out my tack room and closet. I have a bunch of older, lower-end stuff and some stuff that's just outdated and I just don't use it. I don't want to toss the stuff because it's still in good shape (older off-brand saddles and bridles - older puke-green beige Tailored Sportsmans - older show shirts in 'out' colors - pull on boots). I don't think anyone will pay for it, but I feel awful throwing it out. Is there a 'Horsey Goodwill' or something along those lines? I'm trying to streamline my stuff and have finally been lucky enough to afford a few good quality items and not longer have use for the rest. Is there anywhere to donate this stuff for a tax deduction? I'm open to any thoughts.

Horse rescues and therapeutic riding programs are always looking for equipment that is in good useable condition, doesn't matter to them if its low end. And you get a tax deduction besides.

You might have to google a bit (or wait for someone from your area to post)... but I have given tack and gear to the local 4-H program and therapeutic riding program before. They are usually happy to have things that are useable for younger/beginner riders. I have also seen rescue groups run swap shops or sales to raise funds - might be something else to look into.

I think there is a Pegasus in CT, or perhaps it was in Westchester County?

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Perfect! They are in CT and NY. This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks everyone!

http://www.pegasustr.org/trc
    Georgina Bloomberg's The Rider's Closet
    "ABOUT THE RIDER’S CLOSET:

The Rider's Closet is a program started by Georgina Bloomberg in August 2006. The program aims to make riding clothes more accessible to therapeutic riding programs, pony clubs, intercollegiate riding programs and riders who are in need. The Rider's Closet accepts all lightly used riding gear then donates them to anyone who requests the items. All clothing and boots except helmets are accepted.

As The Rider’s Closet has grown over the past several years, so has Georgina’s equestrian career. Due to her expanded travel schedule, she wanted to move The Rider’s Closet from a home-based operation to a new location where it could operate on a continuous basis. Familiar with Pegasus' philanthropic mission and services, Georgina has partnered with us to bring The Rider's Closet to our Pegasus Farm in Brewster, N.Y."

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    I'm cleaning out my tack room and closet. I have a bunch of older, lower-end stuff and some stuff that's just outdated and I just don't use it. I don't want to toss the stuff because it's still in good shape (older off-brand saddles and bridles - older puke-green beige Tailored Sportsmans - older show shirts in 'out' colors - pull on boots). I don't think anyone will pay for it, but I feel awful throwing it out. Is there a 'Horsey Goodwill' or something along those lines? I'm trying to streamline my stuff and have finally been lucky enough to afford a few good quality items and not longer have use for the rest. Is there anywhere to donate this stuff for a tax deduction? I'm open to any thoughts.
    Many Tack shops have consigment rooms, I do , and what you think is outdated, many would be ecstatic to have at a bargain price. Many Theraputic riding centers and rescues will take their donations to a consignment tack shop to sell for them and often the consignment fee is waved or drastically reduced for them.

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    Perfect! They are in CT and NY. This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks everyone!
    Maybe New Canaan Mounted Troop would have some use for your things as well

Quote Originally Posted by MIKES MCS View Post
    Many Theraputic riding centers and rescues will take their donations to a consignment tack shop to sell for them and often the consignment fee is waved or drastically reduced for them.
    All the more reason to give it to a rescue or therapeutic program, so that they get the benefit, they are such good causes.

You can check with Ebony Horsewomen.
    http://www.ebonyhorsewomen.org/
    They have riding camps, summer programs and some showing, and they might be able to use donations.
    you can also check out Ray of Light farm:
    http://www.rayoflightfarm.org/equestrian.htm
    They may be interested in donations.

Ship it to western Oregon. People do a brisk business in this kind of tack. I have seen dirty, torn blankets bought and sold around this neck of the woods.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    When I volunteered (albeit about six years ago) there was one chapter run out of Fox Hill Farms in Pleasantville...not sure if its still around.

Quote Originally Posted by eq3019 View Post
    http://www.pegasustr.org/trc
    Georgina Bloomberg's The Rider's Closet
    "ABOUT THE RIDER’S CLOSET:

The Rider's Closet is a program started by Georgina Bloomberg in August 2006. The program aims to make riding clothes more accessible to therapeutic riding programs, pony clubs, intercollegiate riding programs and riders who are in need. The Rider's Closet accepts all lightly used riding gear then donates them to anyone who requests the items. All clothing and boots except helmets are accepted.

As The Rider’s Closet has grown over the past several years, so has Georgina’s equestrian career. Due to her expanded travel schedule, she wanted to move The Rider’s Closet from a home-based operation to a new location where it could operate on a continuous basis. Familiar with Pegasus' philanthropic mission and services, Georgina has partnered with us to bring The Rider's Closet to our Pegasus Farm in Brewster, N.Y."
    Do they offer a tax deduction? Does anyone know? I have emailed them, but am still awaiting a response. From the lead on this board I've found that they deal directly with New Caanan Mounted Troop among others - so I'd love to know I was doing a 'good deed' along with getting a small tax deduction!

I've made a few piles: The Keep As Backup Pile, The Could Probably Sell Pile, and The Donation Pile. So If anyone wants some free puke green TS breeches (high waist to boot) PM me.

I just sold a pair of puke green TS tonight in an off size for $50, might want to list them on Craigslist and put them back into the "To Sell" pile

I also sold some beige full-seat breeches (talk about out of style), cotton schooling breeches, and suede full chaps using Craigslist...everyone was ecstatic to find something they really wanted for a cheap price and I was ecstatic to get money for things that have been sitting in my closet for years!

Some things that I have had listed for awhile are going to a local therapeutic riding program that I used to volunteer for

I'd look for a local 4H or Pony Club. There are probably plenty of little girls who can't afford their own Tailored Sportsman and would be very happy to have any pair, be it puke green or otherwise.

Donations are always great! And if you don't get a hold of a therapeutic riding group or rescue, you can always try a riding camp or school.

Just curious, what size are the pull-on boots?
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

One of the members of this forum hosts a "Saddle Up For St. Jude" trail ride each year, with all proceeds going to St. Jude Children's Hospital. The main portion of the fundraising is done through a silent auction of donated tack and horse-related items. I have participated in the past and received a list of the items I donated to submit for a tax deduction. The event is held sometime around October, but it might be worth a PM just to see if you could donate now. Her username is equislover and she is located in TN.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I just put together a big pile of stuff for New Canaan Mounted Troop. They do offer a tax letter and are easy to work with from a donation standpoint.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Yup, I'm headed to New Caanan Mounted Troop with my 'give away' pile of tack. My sell pile...I'm going to pay the $10 fee to COTH and will list the non-utilitarian show items I think have some small value (including the breeches, which will be very cheap) and will deduct what it costs me to sell the stuff and whatever profit I have left over will go to a TB charity since I love my OTTB and hope others will find the same bond. Thanks guys!!!

I gave away a bunch to a therapeutic riding group recently.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"