The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 147
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raineydupris View Post
    Please continue to feed and acre for her until you can find a suitable home.. No horses shoul dbe euthanized just becasue soemone doesnt want to be a responsible horse owner. There is a home for her...keep looking, and sharing her information....Rememeber, if you euthanize , you have to pay the vet costs and the costs to have the carcass taken away or buried. Why not put that money into care and advertising her for sale. ( There are a lot of free places to advertise too. Good Luck.
    As much as I wish this were true it is not. There are not enough homes for all the unwanted horses. Sometimes euthanasia even to an otherwise healthy horse is the kindest thing. Many people can only handle one horse and to have one who is unridable for 30 years and they compete is jsut not an option.

    Op- have you called a Teaching Hospital/ University to see if they could use her?
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov. 16, 2004
    Location
    Bucks County, PA
    Posts
    527

    Default

    I will let everyone know what happens.
    I knew people would slam me about the euthanasia, and I can take it if it gets Dancer a home. And it's not just a threat it is my plan. I have been trying for more than a year to place this mare and no one was interested. Should I have posted her again and not mentioned it? But mid-atlantic gets all kinds of help when they post that.
    Yes I knew she had a bowed tendon when I took her and I have seen lots of ex-racers have long careers in eventing with a bow. I got her as a resale project and even though she was going wonderfully no one would look at her because she was a mare (worse a chestnut TB mare). I really need to write Dancer's story down because of everything she has faced through no fault of her own. This is also the horse that was hit by a car while I was riding her. Search for that thread if you want, when I posted it here I got blasted for that too, really I expect that from COTH. I know it was racing that destroyed her though it was racing that created her so you decide which is worse.



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2007
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    somethings on COTH are informative. Some are heart aches. Some are self promoting. Some are questions and interests.

    I will acknowledge that in this post, and this original reason for coming here, I may well be 'alone' in my reaction to it, and my distaste for it.

    Thats ok. thats what makes us all different and appreciative of having a place to come here and learn to expand those confines.

    so...Op...enlighten me (and maybe? a few others if they have the same questions)

    Did you hope to keep, ride, campaign, show, jump this horse when you bought her? Did she have the option of 'staying with you, and being fed by you for 20 years if she had been totally sound and impressive to you in your chosen discipline?

    While you hoped for a resale...you TOOK a gamble on that with her previous injury. Again...THATS ok. But if you did, why? say to other horse owners/lovers here: She'll be euthed soon....in trying to find a home. "Mid Atlantic" as you name, IS NOT a horse owner who knowingly purchased a horse...had no intention of euthing said horse if they 'held up' and then wanted a bail out. there IS a difference.

    Now...do you? or do you not? have the opportunity to keep this mare 'at home' where you do not have to pay a boarding fee for? Can't you see? that there are somethings in your story that put the defensive mode up? C'mon! Is she in pain? NO Is she needing surgery or some great investment to keep her as a pasture puff? NO Do you already have a second horse to ride ? YES Did you choose to jump this horse knowing this may happen? YES Is she only seven years old ? YES. Again. Your horse. Your choice. Don't evade your choice of euthing her.....by tuggin on our heartstrings. You have the means to keep two, or, ? why did you. You have themeans to keep her at home....at an even lesser cost. IF THIS IS AN INCONVENIENCE and not a desperation...own it. You should have quietly made that choice with respect to a horse you chose to purchase, work with and take a chance on. If it didn't pay out, do the right thing...don't try to get out of those costs by asking/'threatening' to put her down, if someone else doesn't.
    This isn't a hardship case, plain and simple. Its a straight out: she's not sound, and I don't want to pay, but could and would if she was' case. Thats ok, too.....IF YOU OWN IT.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aucowwy View Post
    As much as I wish this were true it is not. There are not enough homes for all the unwanted horses. Sometimes euthanasia even to an otherwise healthy horse is the kindest thing. Many people can only handle one horse and to have one who is unridable for 30 years and they compete is jsut not an option.
    I agree with this. IIRC the OP purchased this horse for resale. She said she had already made the decision to euth if a home wasn't found. She's reaching out one more time to see if anyone needs a companion or broodmare.

    I think it is a bit unfair to expect everyone to pay for a lifetime of care for a horse that is unrideable. Back when I was a kid the unsound horse was put down as a matter of course and nobody thought any less of someone who made that decision.

    While we love and spoil our horses, they aren't housepets they are livestock. Am I the only one who thinks that perhaps there wouldn't be so many young healthy horses heading to the kill buyers if people were a little more practical and put down the unsound horse rather than medicate them into a semblance of health so they can gimp around a pasture for years?



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2007
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    lcw...unknowingly, I think we're saying the same thing. aucoywy
    You mentioned some people can only have one horse. NOT the case here....if we are informed correctly.

    Look. I feel EACH and every horse owner agrees that euthing a horse is not WRONG in each situation across the board.

    I'm sure we ALL have our standards that are personal as to WHAT constitutes that decision.

    For me:

    Buying a horse with a known bow and riding/training for jumping in anyway was a CHANCE to take.

    IF I TOOK that chance KNOWINGLY and bought mare and INTENDED to keep/feed/promote/jump same horse, WHILE I ALREADY had another horse and THAT board to pay.....then, that too was a choice I made hoping it would NOT turn out this way.

    If also, upon finally admitting she is NOT ok for jumping...I had a home farm to bring her to, and allow her to be a pasture puff WITHOUT having to pay board....that is another reason this isn't 'the typical dire need' situation for euthing.

    What does OP expect? That some horse owners here would NOT have an opinion about these choices? SURE they are the owners choices. But again (!) as I have stated....this IS NOT the 'dire need' thread. This mare is young and owner had money to keep her as long as she was sound, and took a chance ON that by putting a horse with a previous bow into this discipline. And now, she has a chance to live a life out at her home farm.....Is this just an inconvenience? How does anyone NOT expect some of us to have an opinion about it.???

    And even (!!) EVEN (!!!) if it IS just an inconvenience ? that IS HER RIGHT. SO DO IT. AND if you DON"T do it, because she gets a stay of execution here from someone who has reacted to your 'or else' post,...give the money for the euthing, vetting, and backhoeing /burial to the new 'OWNER" who is taking on the responsibility you do not want.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2008
    Location
    Where The Snow Flies
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    This mare is young and owner had money to keep her as long as she was sound.
    You don't know that. Circumstances change and hard decisions need to be made. To ASSume things, well... You know the saying. I really think you need to step down off your soapbox here. The OP will make the right decision for herself and for her horse I'm sure.

    Unfortunately, this mare and her situation is a sign of the times. The expendable income to maintain a horse that is not able to be used for the intended purpose is not there. So what, she took her as a resale project and things didn't go as planned? I don't think it's a bad idea to euthanize her. I'd rather see that then run her through a seedy auction.

    Also, breeding homes are fewer and far between because there are fewer people breeding (THANK GOD!) I don't blame the OP for playing a hail mary here and giving it one last concerted effort to try to find an alternative. If it's not successful, at least the OP will know that she exhausted all routes.

    Frankly ayrabz, you are NOT helping.



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2004
    Location
    Rolling hills of Virginny
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    So, she can't sell because the horsie might end up at auction, she can't give away because the horsie might end up at auction, and she can't euth even though she's exhausted all other options and simply cannot keep the animal any longer. So what would all of you crying into your towels have someone DO?

    Not everyone can or should keep a horse forever. Sh*t happens, especially in this crappy economy. I also didn't see where the mare wasn't being fed and cared for. Just the opposite.

    It's the OP's horse, and her decision to euth if it comes down to that. I think that's a very adult and responsible thing to do, other than just sending the horse off to auction and sticking her head in the sand about where the mare will end up.

    I see this as a Hail Mary post. The OP is giving it one last try to see if she can't rehome the mare. All of you giving her grief about it, why aren't YOU stepping up to take the animal?

    Hippo, please keep us posted. You certainly won't be vilified by me if you end up putting down your mare.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep. 28, 2001
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,370

    Default

    Agree with arabhorse on this; it sounds like you are in a no win situation and there are no easy answers. I would be thinking pretty seriously about euthanasia if I was in your shoes. It beats wondering for the next 20 years about what happened to her.

    One other alternative-have you checked out the free lease thread in the sport horse forum? There may be someone there looking for a TB mare.
    Good luck!



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 2003
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hippotamus View Post
    IYes I knew she had a bowed tendon when I took her and I have seen lots of ex-racers have long careers in eventing with a bow. I got her as a resale project and even though she was going wonderfully no one would look at her because she was a mare (worse a chestnut TB mare). I really need to write Dancer's story down because of everything she has faced through no fault of her own. I know it was racing that destroyed her though it was racing that created her so you decide which is worse.
    Wow, I wish you luck in placing this hard luck mare, but for someone who has had questionable judgement in choosing this horse in the first place as a resale project (considering her bow and the known bias against Chestnut TB Mares), it's ironic that you say "racing destroyed her". Sounds like you have done a pretty good job of that yourself, including this very literal choice to "destroy" her. Sorry, but it sounds like she HAS been through a lot "through no fault of her own", but you as the current owner are soley responsible for how she ends up. That's my argument for ANY horse that ends up being euth'ed or sold or sent to auction - it is the current owner's responsibility.

    I really do wish you luck in placing her for her sake and yours, but any other choice is soley on you IMO. I actually do agree that euthanizing is not always the worst choice - especially if a horse is in pain or cannot be productive, but to excuse this as anything but a personal choice or to blame others is not justifiable IMO.



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov. 16, 2004
    Location
    Bucks County, PA
    Posts
    527

    Default

    So exhausting, you are all so much wiser and morally superior to me. When I got her I did not know the bow would be a problem, she was racing on it so I thought (and this really tells you how stupid I was) that at the track she had good medical care and vet approval. I also did not know about the mare prejudice in buyers. So in your moral superiority you think I should feed her for the next 20 years because I gave a chance to mare that no one else wanted.
    I don't feel the need to explain anyone how my financial situation has changed in the last 2 years.
    I just hope you never faced with the same situation.



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan. 24, 2004
    Location
    Sergeantsville, NJ
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Count me in as someone who understands what you're up against and appreciates how painful all of this must be. Better you choose what happens to her than pass her along to someone who doesn't have the emotional (and did I say financial) investment that you have in her and would be looking for an easy way out. Euthanasia is not an easy way out. Good for you in trying to place her as a last ditch effort, but sometimes life gets in the way. Don't spend any more energy trying to justify a decision that is solely yours. I've taken in too many rescues to not know that euthanasia is sometimes the kindest option for all.



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2003
    Location
    Saratoga
    Posts
    970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hippotamus View Post
    So exhausting, you are all so much wiser and morally superior to me. When I got her I did not know the bow would be a problem, she was racing on it so I thought (and this really tells you how stupid I was) that at the track she had good medical care and vet approval. I also did not know about the mare prejudice in buyers. So in your moral superiority you think I should feed her for the next 20 years because I gave a chance to mare that no one else wanted.
    I don't feel the need to explain anyone how my financial situation has changed in the last 2 years.
    I just hope you never faced with the same situation.
    I have no problem with you making the tough decision to put her down. But, if she was racing sound on it and now,in your hands, is unridable, then it seems you are the one who "destroyed" her.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2007
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Flying Hip: I really don't have any issue with you putting your own horse down for your own reason. She's your horse.

    I simply said some of the things you shared were not done or said in the best way if you really didn't want to hear any backlash from some who found it shocking or offensive. Its still your right regardless.

    I still truly hope mare finds a great home, but I also know the choice to put her down is a responsibility she looks to you for, as her owner.

    I do hope you update us, since you've shared here your choice...and I do hope your circumstances improve, but hopefully being down to one horse to pay for will help there.

    best of luck!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2011
    Location
    Upatoi, GA
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Clearly you are trying to do the right thing by this mare... it is a really sad situation, she is gorgeous and it looks like she had success earlier in her career before the injury.

    I was able to find homes for several TB's, including a not-quite-right chestnut mare. She went to 3 different homes before she found a permanent place. (I took her back each time she did not 'work out') Financially and emotionally it was a struggle, but in the end, she found a good home.

    Another elderly TB mare found a permanent home at a sanctuary.

    Have you posted her on CL, dreamhorse, etc. with very honest descriptions?
    Could she be pasture boarded for cheap while you attempt to find her a home?
    I know it is exhausting, but keep trying....
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2007
    Location
    AreaII
    Posts
    1,348

    Default

    There is nothing wrong with putting the mare down. You gave her a chance and she'll go down with dignity and not at the hands of some dealer - which is where she will eventually end up if you let her go.



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2011
    Location
    Upatoi, GA
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiablosHalo View Post
    There is nothing wrong with putting the mare down. You gave her a chance and she'll go down with dignity and not at the hands of some dealer - which is where she will eventually end up if you let her go.
    This isn't necessarily true. There ARE homes that want pretty pasture ornaments! I have found these homes for unsound mares in the past, and I currently provide a home for two.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2007
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    just for more info on the sweet mare, OP had another thread on her bowed tendon/etc and her care and progression, in case this helps? with anyone wanting to know her needs:

    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=278458

    the history may help...she's such a young mare I do hope she can find a good fit.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan. 24, 2004
    Location
    Sergeantsville, NJ
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leahandpie View Post
    This isn't necessarily true. There ARE homes that want pretty pasture ornaments! I have found these homes for unsound mares in the past, and I currently provide a home for two.
    Well, you've just opened a door. I know of a number of horses in need of new homes, some sound, some not - what is your address so that my shipper can GPS you? Can you find a home for this mare? We ALL (we who have been around for a while, leahandpie), try really hard to do the right thing. Don't make it harder on the OP.



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hippotamus View Post
    I will let everyone know what happens.
    I knew people would slam me about the euthanasia, and I can take it if it gets Dancer a home. And it's not just a threat it is my plan. I have been trying for more than a year to place this mare and no one was interested. Should I have posted her again and not mentioned it? But mid-atlantic gets all kinds of help when they post that.
    Yes I knew she had a bowed tendon when I took her and I have seen lots of ex-racers have long careers in eventing with a bow. I got her as a resale project and even though she was going wonderfully no one would look at her because she was a mare (worse a chestnut TB mare). I really need to write Dancer's story down because of everything she has faced through no fault of her own. This is also the horse that was hit by a car while I was riding her. Search for that thread if you want, when I posted it here I got blasted for that too, really I expect that from COTH. I know it was racing that destroyed her though it was racing that created her so you decide which is worse.
    Numerous horses are adopted out that have bowed tendons and go on to have athletic careers. Yes it is a risk, but so is taking a horse that has chips, early arthritis or taking on a horse in general.
    Last edited by aucowwy; Jan. 18, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    somethings on COTH are informative. Some are heart aches. Some are self promoting. Some are questions and interests.

    I will acknowledge that in this post, and this original reason for coming here, I may well be 'alone' in my reaction to it, and my distaste for it.

    Thats ok. thats what makes us all different and appreciative of having a place to come here and learn to expand those confines.

    so...Op...enlighten me (and maybe? a few others if they have the same questions)

    Did you hope to keep, ride, campaign, show, jump this horse when you bought her? Did she have the option of 'staying with you, and being fed by you for 20 years if she had been totally sound and impressive to you in your chosen discipline?

    While you hoped for a resale...you TOOK a gamble on that with her previous injury. Again...THATS ok. But if you did, why? say to other horse owners/lovers here: She'll be euthed soon....in trying to find a home. "Mid Atlantic" as you name, IS NOT a horse owner who knowingly purchased a horse...had no intention of euthing said horse if they 'held up' and then wanted a bail out. there IS a difference.

    Now...do you? or do you not? have the opportunity to keep this mare 'at home' where you do not have to pay a boarding fee for? Can't you see? that there are somethings in your story that put the defensive mode up? C'mon! Is she in pain? NO Is she needing surgery or some great investment to keep her as a pasture puff? NO Do you already have a second horse to ride ? YES Did you choose to jump this horse knowing this may happen? YES Is she only seven years old ? YES. Again. Your horse. Your choice. Don't evade your choice of euthing her.....by tuggin on our heartstrings. You have the means to keep two, or, ? why did you. You have themeans to keep her at home....at an even lesser cost. IF THIS IS AN INCONVENIENCE and not a desperation...own it. You should have quietly made that choice with respect to a horse you chose to purchase, work with and take a chance on. If it didn't pay out, do the right thing...don't try to get out of those costs by asking/'threatening' to put her down, if someone else doesn't.
    This isn't a hardship case, plain and simple. Its a straight out: she's not sound, and I don't want to pay, but could and would if she was' case. Thats ok, too.....IF YOU OWN IT.
    I am sorry but this is your opinion. I will not own a horse that is not at least servicable sound. But if I have had the horse for years, and it has earned a retirement so be it. My first horse was ridden up until a couple of months before he died and I have sold horses because they were not working out/ did not get along with horse. If I had a 7 or 8 year old horse and it was unsound. I would try to find a home. If I could not find a home, I would put it down. This is this person's choice. She stated she has looked everywhere to find a home for this mare and has not been able to so if she states she will euthanize it if it does not is just a fact she is stating.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli



Similar Threads

  1. How's THIS for a happy ending?
    By gwenrowdy in forum Off Course
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jun. 14, 2010, 09:14 PM
  2. A Happy Ending
    By LOKMom in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May. 31, 2010, 07:51 PM
  3. Could have been bad, but a happy ending!
    By Toadie's mom in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan. 2, 2010, 10:34 PM
  4. Very Happy Ending Story
    By spotnnotfarm in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec. 1, 2009, 08:07 PM
  5. A happy ending (so far)
    By xabbracadabra in forum Off Course
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 1, 2009, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness