The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default 7 yo TB mare will be Euth'd soon SE PA- Happy Ending!

Darling Dancer OTTB has rebowed 8 months rest and ultra sound say she won't be sound. I've kept her for more than a year and I just can't justify it anymore. I have a kid going off to college. I've tried rescues - they don't want her. The local one told me there was a 1 year waiting list and then a month later sent a blast email asking for money for sick horses they bought at a sale. Some rescues have told me they don't take TB's because they don't get money from any TB assoc. The SPCA told me to talk to my Vet about Euthanasia. So here I am. What am I supposed to do feed her for the next 20-25 years?
    So this is her last chance to get picked up as a broodmare and I guess this is the time of year to try. She is 16 hands even, chestnut with lots of chrome. Big barrel to hold a nice big warmblood baby. She's very athletic and sensible. Will try to get pictures for conformation in the next couple days. I'm not sure if the facebook link in my signature works but that has some pictures of her when she was in training. She isn't lame and doesn't need any meds.
    Last edited by Flying Hippotamus; Feb. 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Wish I would have known about her sooner Just had a broodmare shipped from SE PA. I am about 14 hrs away so it's not an easy drive.

Try Angel Acres Horse Haven Rescue. http://www.angelacreshorsehavenrescue.com/

Default 7 Yr OTTB

Please don't Euth her. I would take her in a heartbeat, but I'm in TN. That's too long of a drive for me. Surely somehow, we can find her a home.
    If she's sound now, and doesnt need meds, would she be ok as a light riding horse? Maybe tote kids around?

She is pretty, what is her pedigree?
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Is this her http://www.pedigreequery.com/darling+dancer3

She does have the Axe, Diplomatic Way, Turn to, Ardan on her page.

I was drooling over her when you first posted her. She's lovely! Contact Amy Bock who owns the stallion Parcival. She sometimes gets people who are looking for a broodmare to cross with her stud. I think they would be a lovely match!

Please check your PM's. I'm close by and have an empty stall.

very kind of you

Quote Originally Posted by msloyer View Post
    Please check your PM's. I'm close by and have an empty stall.

Default Thanks

Thanks for looking up her pedigree. I was at work yesterday and don't have my login there. I guess you caught my mistake by now, she will be 8 this year born 2004. I'll see if I can track down Amy Bock.
    As for riding her, like I said she isn't lame but the vet who did the ultrasound was reluctant to say she could be a trail horse. The tendon just didn't have enough holding it together. So if it went it would be the end of her and I'm not sure what would happen to the rider. Besides she can't really do the quiet pony ride kind of thing, she just wants to go. Even if you managed to keep her to a walk, her walk is going places.

I didn't mention she is alone right now and she is getting depressed. It's hard to watch, she misses her friends and flirting with the boys.

answered your pm msloyer.

Please continue to feed and acre for her until you can find a suitable home.. No horses shoul dbe euthanized just becasue soemone doesnt want to be a responsible horse owner. There is a home for her...keep looking, and sharing her information....Rememeber, if you euthanize , you have to pay the vet costs and the costs to have the carcass taken away or buried. Why not put that money into care and advertising her for sale. ( There are a lot of free places to advertise too. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by raineydupris View Post
    Please continue to feed and acre for her until you can find a suitable home.. No horses shoul dbe euthanized just becasue soemone doesnt want to be a responsible horse owner. There is a home for her...keep looking, and sharing her information....Rememeber, if you euthanize , you have to pay the vet costs and the costs to have the carcass taken away or buried. Why not put that money into care and advertising her for sale. ( There are a lot of free places to advertise too. Good Luck.
    Wow.

Uh, no. Not being a responsible horse owner would be dumping this mare at New Holland because she can't find a home for her.

But spending months of vet care to rehab a horse after an injury and then deciding that your life circumstances mean that you just can't pay indefinitely for an unsound horse anymore and thus you try to do the responsible thing and rehome it and, when you can't find a good home, choose to euthanize? There's nothing at all irresponsible about that.

OP, I wish I could help. Have you talked to Mid Atlantic Horse Rescue for help? They've got an "assisted placements" page on their website, even if they can't actually take the horse in for you. Might be another avenue to pursue.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

msloyer is coming thursday to check her out!

hmm...raineydupris what are you, like 12 years old or just an unloved troll?!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hippotamus View Post
    So here I am. What am I supposed to do feed her for the next 20-25 years?
    I'm guessing it's this line that waved the flags....you can't blame anyone for thinking what others have said. It's not what you say it's how you say it. Title of the thread didn't help much.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

spot on, equinelaundry.

OP: you brought this here. You said she'd be euthed. If I felt that was the only option for my animal, and the best thing to do for him I'd buck up and do the right thing, but I wouldn't use that 'threat' to conjur up interest from anyone who's heart it would strike here on a horse board to gain their attention.

rainyd: Your comment/input was kind and hopeful and sincere. You did nothing wrong or ugly to be called names about.

msloyer: I hope and pray this sweet, beautiful young mare finds a way to your barn and care.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Please share the final outcome for this mare.

I will never fault someone who decides to euth a horse who they have tried to find a home for and they simply cant do it. People hate to see neglect cases and hate the thought of horses going to slaughter but this is the outcome when someone doesnt do what is unfortunate but sometimes necessary. I will ALWAYS want a horse to have a forever home but I also know sometimes this can not be provided.

I 2nd the request to please share the outcome of her.

Quote Originally Posted by raineydupris View Post
    If the mare is 8 she could have another 20+ years. Placing an unsound horse no matter how good the next home looks is a gamble at best. Things happen, situations change. There aren't very many homes out there that can and will care for an unsound horse for 20+ years. It is far kinder and more responsible to euthanize her than to give her away and let her take her chances for the rest of her life. And, no, a first right of refusal or iron clad "I'll take her back" does not make it safe. How many posts have we read about horses that ended up in horrible situations because no one bothered to notify the original owners even though they had clearly stated they would to take them back?

Is it a crying shame for a 7 year old mare to be in this situation? Absolutely. Will it be difficult to have her put down? Of course. But I firmly believe that there are far worse things that happen to horses all the time than being humanely euthanized by a vet.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

ptownevt:
    totally agree. My point was: DO it if it is the right and difficult thing to do. Own it. This is your horse. Not someone else's "come get her now or she'll be put down soon" issue.
    I am so against our horse board accepting this verbage for 'help me find a home for my horse' ads. It shouldn't be allowed as an 'or else I'll do this' scenario. That is what we post when its an organization or a governed situation to alert people that those horses/animals will have no say, no option.
    And yes, mare should and may well live another 20 years. I believe? this was second horse, not her only ride. I believe? this owner also had property to bring her home to, vs. paying board. I understood she was purchased knowing she'd bowed a tendon before, but used/wanted for eventing/jumpers all the same.
    What we choose to do with our animals is our business. But if it is, we should take that responsibility.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

What happened with the mare? Were you able to find her a home?
    recovering hunter rider turned eventer