The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SPINOFF: What makes you happy as a lark?

I'm very happy with my boarding barn and its ownership, professionalism, and management (of which I am a part). My horses are healthy and content.

My husband's new horse is a dreamboat. He did a fabulous simple lead change for me on Sunday. I see lots of great rides in their future! DH remarked this weekend he really wants to learn how to be a horseman. His words. Ahhh... made my heart sing!

I'm happy it hasn't really gotten horribly cold here. At least not yet.

What's making you happy these days?

Jumping my pony bareback in a halter.

Finding the right scritchy spot on my mare that makes her sigh.

As much as I hate getting up early, I love getting my horses turned out and stalls cleaned before heading to work. I'm also enjoying seeing the progress in my newest OTTB. I gave one of my others a few months off after show season. Now were lightly hacking around. He is my horse of a lifetime. I can't help but smile every time I ride him.
    ~Waiting to Be Spotted~ ~Jet Lag~
    ~Willie Cruise~
    Hot Tea

Heading out on the trail on a beautiful day with great scenery- just me and one of my horses. It's even better if we never see anyone else out there during our ride and if we get to stop for lunch next to the river. I had a ride like this the other day and we saw a couple of bald eagles while we were having lunch
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Experimenting on the farmette with ideas I get from you guys: deep bedding, small hole hay nets....and hugging my paint horse.

Reading threads like this, and being reminded of the infinite reasons to be happy in this world!
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

My pony whinnying a greeting to me when I arrive at the barn.

The smell of her warm, fuzzy neck on a cold morning.

Getting nice weather on the weekend for riding.

The fact that the days are getting longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    The fact that the days are getting longer!

Being in the midst of a once in a lifetime experience: Florida for 2 months, riding 5x a week with a very good dressage coach. We did the whole enchilada - condo on the beach, horse 20 minutes away, brought my husband and my part time job with me. We've had great weather and lots of fun experiences besides the horse thing. It's heaven.

Don't know if I'll ever get to do this again, but for right now - I wake up with a smile on my face every day.

My new horse. Took a gamble on a young, green freebie, and things are going pretty well so far. Also my been-there-done-that older gelding, who is not as sound as he once was, but who is just plain fun to be around. I leave the barn smiling every night. In fact I'm smiling right now thinking of both of them!

Horse wuffles.

Hearing from my current trainer that my mare (who I broke and trained) is a Really Good Horse.

Generally just being around that Really Good Horse. Kisses, hugs, bareback rides, lessons, treat-feedings, nuzzles.

When my horse nickers at me when he sees me.

That we have received much needed rain this month but have had good weather to cut down the dead trees. The burn ban has been lifted so we can actually burn the huge piles of trees too.

There is green winter grass everywhere right now, and the cattle and horses look grand munching in pastures.

We are only 20 inches of rain behind, instead of 30+, and slowly making progress. Lake Houston (area water supply) is full and may spill over this weekend.

That I love my BO, Trainer, Farrier, Hay Supplier, and Vet.

There is so much to be thankful for.

Watching my 2 granddaughters riding a pony that I rescued many years ago. When I purchased him I only wanted a studly pony gelding to live with my mares to get them in the mood. He is a small and feisty enough to hold his own while smart enough to not mess with the big girls. If I was looking for a pony to be ridden I never would have purchased him. He took a while and decided that life wasn't so bad. This pony ended up with many Championships in the Hunters over the years, went to Pony Finals this year and now is teaching my granddaughters to ride. It doesn't only happen in movies.
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Galloping my 24 year old through the cross country field on an unseasonably warm January day!

Listening to my horses slurp their beet pulp & munch their hay after I feed them at night makes me feel like everything is right in the world.

Thought everyone would appreciate a picture of just how much one of my guys enjoys his beet pulp....
    Last edited by Mia412; Jan. 10, 2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Adding visuals!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Having a sweet green horse to ride after not riding for over a year. One of the most wonderful Christmas presents I have ever gotten -- my friend letting me ride her young colt. And the greenie being a good boy!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

The smell of a a warm horse after a brisk trot on a cold January day.

I know I was grinning from ear to ear, because my teeth hurt from the cold.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Getting on my 7 yo, sometimes hot and spooky TB after not riding for over a month and him being an ANGEL!

We were just walk, trotting and cantering around on a loose rein, taking in the beautiful weather. Then, when I asked him to be collected and really engage, he was happy and willing to do that too.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

First, I am still thrilled beyond belief that I actually, finally own a real live horse Almost a year and a half later, I still have to remind myself sometimes that she is actually mine all MINE.

Second, nothing puts me in a good mood with a big smile like a really excellent lesson where everything I've been struggling with just seems to come together.