The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IEA Zone Finals - Is This Correct?

Another IEA newbie question:

With regard to riders who qualify for Regional finals (as an individual, not a team), after reading the IEA rules again, am I correct that the top 12 from Regionals will move on to Zone Finals? Then the top 1 (the winner) of each class at Zone Finals gets an invitation to National Finals?

Do I have that correct?

Additionally, how do the classes usually run at regionals? Like they usually do at the regular shows or all combined? For example at our regular shows if there are 18 kids in the JV Novice Flat they usually run 3 classes with six kids. Should we expect it to go like that at Regionals? Or will they likely do one class of 18 (or two with 9)? If they do three classes of 6, then is it correct to assume that the top four in each section would make up the twelve that move on to Zone Finals?

In advance, thank you for your help in clarifying what to expect!

It may differ by region?

Last year for our region, only the top 2 riders in each class advanced to Zones. I believe the number changes each year depending on the number of riders qualified. You are correct that the winner at Zones advances to Nationals. I see in the rules where you are getting the twelve riders moving on, but this has not been my experience and I think there may be some confusion in the way this is typed. It is proportionate to the number of riders as stated in the rules -

"Rider positions and team positions for Zone Finals will be proportionately divided among the regions of the zone based upon the number of members in each region as determined by IEA membership on December 31st of each year."

At horse shows in our region, classes are only split if there are more than 12 riders so we would never have more than 2 sections unless there were over 24 entries in the class.

In the IEA rules, it states that "Hunt Seat flat classes, Western horsemanship classes and Saddle Seat performance classes must be split at twelve (12) riders. During Regional, Zone and National Finals flat classes are permitted to run with twelve (12) riders but the Beginner and Novice levels should canter in two groups."

Correct me if I am wrong as I am only in my second year participating, but this is my best understanding of the rules. Hope that makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by alterknowbetter View Post
    Another IEA newbie question:

With regard to riders who qualify for Regional finals (as an individual, not a team), after reading the IEA rules again, am I correct that the top 12 from Regionals will move on to Zone Finals? Then the top 1 (the winner) of each class at Zone Finals gets an invitation to National Finals?

Do I have that correct?
    No. The number of riders from each region that move on to zones depends completely on the individual region/zone and the number of riders in each region. I'm not in IEA anymore, so I don't know exactly when they decide the exact numbers, but it's definitely generally not as many as 12. As for how many at Zones move on to Nationals, that depends on the number of riders in the Zone. Back when I did it, the top 4 or 5 would get to go to Nationals, but I'm sure that's changed now and it depends on the Zone you're in and how many riders are in the Zone.

Additionally, how do the classes usually run at regionals? Like they usually do at the regular shows or all combined? For example at our regular shows if there are 18 kids in the JV Novice Flat they usually run 3 classes with six kids. Should we expect it to go like that at Regionals? Or will they likely do one class of 18 (or two with 9)? If they do three classes of 6, then is it correct to assume that the top four in each section would make up the twelve that move on to Zone Finals?

In advance, thank you for your help in clarifying what to expect!
    No, they don't split them and pin sections separately. Riders will all show together and be pinned as one class. That's easy for over fences - all riders go and get pinned. On the flat, if there's more riders than will be safe to have in the ring, they may have two flat sections and then call back the top riders from each section to ride again and determine the final placings.

Alterknowbetter,

Good question about IEA finals! The numbers change every year and vary by zone. The numbers for rider spots at Nationals were just released to the zone chairman last week. Depending on where you're located, your zone may have 1 to 5 spots per class and per team go on to National Finals.

Region Final spots going on to Zone Finals also depends on your Zone. In Zone 4 (the southeast), the qualifying spots for Zones are based on how many kids qualify for your region finals. So, if you have ten varsity open o/f kids at your region final show and there are forty varsity open riders between all regions, your region will get 25% of the twelve zone final spots. That works out to be 3 spots in the Zone Finals Varsity Open class. Check outhttp://ridezone4.com/library and look at Zone 4 Guidelines for complete details.

So, your question about how the classes go? They are not split at Region Finals with the exception of flat classes. And they are not pinned by split. If a flat class is split, there will be a work off to determine the final order of ribbons. The team and individual riders compete in separate classes, also. So, the show will be a bit longer than usual.

Hope that helps. Feel free to pm me if you have other questions! And good luck at your Region show
    Last edited by Csterrett; Jan. 18, 2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: add url

Quote Originally Posted by Csterrett View Post
    Alterknowbetter,

Good question about IEA finals! The numbers change every year and vary by zone. The numbers for rider spots at Nationals were just released to the zone chairman last week. Depending on where you're located, your zone may have 1 to 5 spots per class and per team go on to National Finals.

Region Final spots going on to Zone Finals also depends on your Zone. In Zone 4 (the southeast), the qualifying spots for Zones are based on how many kids qualify for your region finals. So, if you have ten varsity open o/f kids at your region final show and there are forty varsity open riders between all regions, your region will get 25% of the twelve zone final spots. That works out to be 3 spots in the Zone Finals Varsity Open class. Check outhttp://ridezone4.com/library and look at Zone 4 Guidelines for complete details.

So, your question about how the classes go? They are not split at Region Finals with the exception of flat classes. And they are not pinned by split. If a flat class is split, there will be a work off to determine the final order of ribbons. The team and individual riders compete in separate classes, also. So, the show will be a bit longer than usual.

Hope that helps. Feel free to pm me if you have other questions! And good luck at your Region show

Thank you!!!

In light of your response, I have a couple more questions . . .

1. Is there some place online I should be looking to discover all of this information that I am not currently doing? I don't want to be bothering people if I don't need to be!

2. If each class is run singularly (and not divided), then we should expect that there will be more horses used at Regionals than at a regular show (where one horse could be used in multiple sections of the same class)?

Thank you for your reply! Within the past three weeks I have contacted both our Region chair and our Zone chair with these questions (on two separate occasions) and have gotten no reply from either of them.

Team coaches were contacted by our Region chair back in November about getting together to plan Regionals. The chair gave us three date options for the meeting and asked for our preference. I gave mine, but never heard back. I contacted her to follow up but did not hear back. Saw her at a show back in mid-December and inquired - was told she got busy and it was on hold. Still have heard nothing further. My families are trying to plan and we don't even know what the date will be yet.

As a new team we are trying to understand how this will work, what our expectations should be, and what our obligations are ... we are feeling a bit under-prepared at this point. I wasn't sure where else to turn other than COTH?!

Regarding the Region Finals horse show, your best bet is to talk to your Region Chair or find a team that can mentor you for the first year or so. You can also find general information in the IEA Rule Book.

There are usually more horses at Region Finals because there are more rides, not because of the class size. The flat classes are still split when they hit 12. The o/f classes don't matter because the horses are never in the ring at the same time. However, we're thinking the region shows might be much smaller this year because of the tough qualifications for teams. The points required for teams to qualify has grown from 12 points to 20. It's looking like the number of teams at Regionals will be way down!

As I said before, feel free to pm me whenever!