The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question When you leave a boarding barn how long of a notice do you give?

I didnt know really where to put this so i figured here would work. When you leave a barn are you expected to put in notice at all? A months? A 2 weeks? I know you should put in some.. I just dont how what the expected amount of time is. Thanks guys!
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

Well, my philosophy has always been: as soon as you know tell your BM even if it's 6 months in advance. I would say give the barn at LEAST a month's notice so that way they can advertise and possibly find another boarder to take your place. Otherwise they could end up a horse short and that wouldn't be good, especially if they order feed at the beginning of the month for everybody. It really does vary from barn to barn, but that's just my opinion. Good luck
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin

Whatever is in your contract.

Thirty days is customary, and what I would adhere to in the absence of a contract.

I do agree, though, that it's nice to give as much notice as you can (assuming, of course, that you are not leaving because of issues with current barn that might be exacerbated by their knowledge of your upcoming departure). I've always told a BO as soon as I knew I was going to leave, even when it's been months in advance. People say the care can go downhill once you give notice, but in many years of boarding I have NEVER had that be the case. (Neither, though, have I ever left a barn for reasons other than myself moving or price increasing beyond my budget.)
    Proud member of the EDRF

It should be in your contract. 30 days is industry standard.

30 days or 1 month at least. BUT read your contract if it says 30 days and you give your notice on Jan 15 you're leaving on Feb 15 - don't let them tell you you have to pay any prorated board for February - 30 days is 30 days. If it says 30 days or a month's notice then give your notice at the first of the month that you are leaving the following month or months. If you are having issues at the barn where you are where health/safety is a concern then I am not sure how much notice I would give.

At my old barn it was 30 days, at the barn where I board now, it's 45. Both barns there is a security deposit of a full month of board. If you leave without prior notice it is not returned. If you have a setup like this and you are leaving due to issues, it may just be worth it to sacrifice the month's board and get out of there. If you're not leaving on bad terms, and your contact does not specify, 30 days is standard, but if you can give more I'm sure it would be appreciated.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedeventer View Post
    I didnt know really where to put this so i figured here would work. When you leave a barn are you expected to put in notice at all? A months? A 2 weeks? I know you should put in some.. I just dont how what the expected amount of time is. Thanks guys!

I've always told them as soon as I could. Most barns require at least one month.

The horse world is small..better to try hard not to burn any bridges. I've also never notice the care to go downhill after I've given notice. Some barns I've returned too after leaving or sent them other business.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Default You can leave whenever you want.

Your contract may have a 30 day notice written in. If this is the case, if you leave the day of your notice you still owe that 30 days of board.

That said, I left two boarding barns right away without paying the 30 days worth even though there was a 30 day notice in the contract.

So there is a gray area.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Everyone boarding should insist on a contract with the barn they board at, which should specifically state this, among other things. My contract is 30 days notice, if you leave prior to the completion of 30 days, you would still owe me the amount of 30 days after you gave your notice.

As the owner of a small boarding barn which runs as a co-op, I can assure you that our contract says 1 month notice. Boarders can move their horses out before that if they wish (and someone just did), but they are still responsible for their share of the work and board until the end of the month.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by chizzle View Post
    30 days or 1 month at least. BUT read your contract if it says 30 days and you give your notice on Jan 15 you're leaving on Feb 15 - don't let them tell you you have to pay any prorated board for February - 30 days is 30 days.
    Of course you would owe a pro rated amount for February! You aren't going to get 15 days for free just because you are moving.

Prorated means divided based on another amount (in this case monthly board).
    I'm very confused as to why you think one shouldn't have to pay for those extra 15 days?
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Whatever is stipulated in the boarding contract and/or agreed upon with the BO if I'm leaving on friendly terms. If not, I take the horse the heck away the moment I can. Thankfully the latter has only happened to me once! Crap, make that TWICE.

ETA I would still not short anybody the money I owed, but as purp indicated, there is wiggle room . . . if the boarding contract is breached on the part of the BO (horse is not being fed, watered, is neglected or injured through negligence) then I feel like I owe nothing. By the same token, if I am the one breaching the contract I do not feel like I am owed any financial consideration at all.
    Click here before you buy.

Like you DW, I've left once without giving a full 30 days notice. I did tell them I was handing them my last check for board and promptly left 2 weeks later. BO did breach contract by not treating/notifying me that my horse was 3 legged lame the day before. Horse had a friggin fence nail lodged in his foot for over 24 hours!!

Otherwise, I've followed the contracts I've signed (usually 30days) when I left on good terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Of course you would owe a pro rated amount for February! You aren't going to get 15 days for free just because you are moving.

I'm very confused as to why you think one shouldn't have to pay for those extra 15 days?
    You are right the board would be prorated for the 2 weeks in February - my bad. But most people do give notice the first of the month and giving notice & leaving mid-month is not very common but I have known of a few people doing it that way.

Hopefully you have a contract that specifies this, but most barns require a 30 day notice these days. As long as there are not any major breaches in conduct in terms of care, I would definitely give them 30 days, and pay throughout a prorate if necessary. If you are leaving on good terms, keep it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    30 days or 1 month at least. BUT read your contract if it says 30 days and you give your notice on Jan 15 you're leaving on Feb 15 - don't let them tell you you have to pay any prorated board for February - 30 days is 30 days.
    30 days notice is general practice as you typically pay and "rent your space" by the month, typically the 1st of the month. That gives your BO or whoever a heads up so they can make your upcoming vacant stall available to maybe someone on a waiting list, etc, much like an apartment. However, a BO is also not required to give you a prorated rate. If you gave your notice you were leaving Feb 15 and your board is due Feb. 1st, you owe the full months board--it's up to the BO whether or not they want to offer a prorated rate. Same as you would with a house or apartment you rent. It is up to you whether or not you use all of the month you paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by ponysize View Post
    30 days notice is general practice as you typically pay and "rent your space" by the month, typically the 1st of the month. That gives your BO or whoever a heads up so they can make your upcoming vacant stall available to maybe someone on a waiting list, etc, much like an apartment. However, a BO is also not required to give you a prorated rate. If you gave your notice you were leaving Feb 15 and your board is due Feb. 1st, you owe the full months board--it's up to the BO whether or not they want to offer a prorated rate. Same as you would with a house or apartment you rent. It is up to you whether or not you use all of the month you paid for.
    That is someone else I quoted, not my quote, by the way. MY quote in response to the above was

"Aye God, Woodrow..."

Look at the contract, but ...

... if you post on COTH, expect to get thrown out in a flaming drama within about 24 hours after giving notice. So have your new place ready for you to skedaddle, after rescuing your kidnapped horse from the old bo. In the middle of the night, with your friend keeping the truck running while waiting for you out on the road. Then you can find a keyboard and add your story to the list of COTH barn transfer disasters.

Just kidding. (sort of ... )

Quote Originally Posted by ponysize View Post
    That depends on your contract. If your contract only says "30 days," then that's 30 days you pay for after you give notice, period, whether it ends the 1st, the 15th or the 23rd.

Some contracts, however, specify 30 days from the next first of the month (or otherwise make it so that you always owe in 1st-end of month increments with no pro-rating), in which case if you give notice on the 2nd, you are on the hook for basically two months.

I would always try to leave close to the 1st of a month (assuming it was an amicable leaving), because it is much easier for a BO to fill an empty stall quickly if it is available at that time, however.
    Proud member of the EDRF