The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Amish Horse Abandoned and Left Alone at Walmart

Photo at link.

http://news.yahoo.com/horse-left-ohi...205721752.html

Wally the Walmart horse is looking for a new home.

That's the nickname given to a 9-year-old standardbred horse that a humane society says was left at a northeast Ohio store by an Amish teenager more than two months ago.

Humane Officer Christian Courtwright in Geauga County says the teen apparently unhooked the horse from a buggy, tied it to a rail at the Walmart in Middlefield and never came back for it.

He says store employees noticed the horse the next day and tended to it until police took it to a caregiver.

He says the humane society now has control of the horse and expects it to be available for adoption soon.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

If the teen unhooked the horse, what pulled the carriage home? Maybe a dumb question, but this makes little sense to me.

Sad for the horse, though.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    :the teen apparently unhooked the horse from a buggy, tied it to a rail at the Walmart in Middlefield and never came back for it.
    I have the image of said teenager trotting home on foot towing the buggy all by himself... Is Iowa hilly? I sure do hope so.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    If the teen unhooked the horse, what pulled the carriage home? Maybe a dumb question, but this makes little sense to me.

Sad for the horse, though.

Ditto.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Nobody on yahoo could grasp that maybe the horse was tied to the back of the cart and not hitched up pulling it either. I can't believe it took them overnight to call the cops. I am all for religious freedom, but not when they use horses in the manner many Amish do.

When I was in Lancaster this summer with the kids, I would have loved to have taken a pic of a nice looking horse pulling a buggy down the road. Sadly, I didn't see a single one. All were extremely thin, dull coated or completely lathered
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing--how did they get the buggy home? Not to mention the Amish have never seemed squeamish about sending horses to auction, so why dump one? Just seems very odd.

There is no evidence that an Amish person left the horse. The article states that the employees did not notice the horse until the next day. The article quote, an Amish teenager 'apparently' left a horse.

So, it could have easily been someone else that knows where the tie stand is for the Amish and brought a horse there, possibly in the middle of the night.

Well, the author of the article may not know that unhooked says to me the horse was in harness pulling the buggy. Maybe it was tagging along behind, but why dump it at WalMart? Amish take their horses to auction unless the teen was really really trying to give the horse some kind of break? If it even was an Amish teen.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

How'd they get the buggy home? Leave with two, and return with one...?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    How'd they get the buggy home? Leave with two, and return with one...?
    it was a 50% off sale

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    There is no evidence that an Amish person left the horse. The article states that the employees did not notice the horse until the next day. The article quote, an Amish teenager 'apparently' left a horse.

So, it could have easily been someone else that knows where the tie stand is for the Amish and brought a horse there, possibly in the middle of the night.
    THIS.

The Amish generally dump their old and broken down horses at auction. I doubt this was a Amish person that left the horse, makes no sense at all. They are pretty practical people when it comes down to it. Makes much more sense to take the horse to the auction ring than to abandon it in a Wal-Mart parking lot. There is no evidence that is was a mennonite.

Mennonite and Amish are not the same - just a bit of info. I have lived in NE Ohio very close to Middlefield for the last 9 years. Middlefield is the 4th largest Amish community in the world. While Amish horses do work very hard, for the most part, they are well cared for, as they are very necessary to daily life for the Amish family. I can't imagine an Amish person abandoning a horse tied at Walmart. The Amish are a very tight knit community and help each other in all manner of ways. If the horse was owned by an Amish family and no longer of use, I would imagine someone would have taken it to an auction as previously mentioned. NE Ohio has a LOT of horse owners (besides the Amish), and many of them are NOT good ones! Could have been anyone that left that poor horse there. I hope he finds a good caring home.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

"Abandoned and Left Alone"
    Isn't that redundant?

I seriously doubt this was an Amish person. To abandon a horse is money out of their pocket and that's something they don't do well with (the losing money part). If the Amish have an unwanted horse, they dump it at auction.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Isn't that redundant?
    No.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Wal Marts have a lot of security cameras in their parking lots.

...That's the nickname given to a 9-year-old standardbred horse that a humane society says was left at a northeast Ohio store by an Amish teenager more than two months ago...

If the media source can be believed, the person from the humane society appears to be the one trying to implicate the Amish.

It sounds questionable at best.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Amish take their horses to auction unless the teen was really really trying to give the horse some kind of break?
    You just never know, do you? It would be a good story if this were the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    It sounds questionable at best.
    This.
    Rebel Without Cash!

Sounds like the English in Ohio found a new place to dump unwanted horses besides the city parks. I know several Ams as well, and it doesn't sound like them. Unloading it the local sale yes, leaving it at WallyWorld, not so much. Logistics combined with the money lost, don't add up.

I have known Ams who found their horse was lame and left it in a barn or field on the way home rather than driving it all the way home. My BO has found strange horses in his barn or field many times. They come back in couple days and pick them up.