The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Got it out of the way...I guess

Took a spill today.

It's been years since I last fell.

Last week I did a slow sitting trot to 3'6.
    Monday I jumped out at 4'6.
    It's not as though I can't sit on a horse.

Alas, I hit the dirt after 2'6 and I can't blame it on the horse.

Sigh...

Getting older just sucks doesn't it? Many coaches (who are under the age of 35) can't even begin to imagine what happens to older women as our center of balance changes, our reactions get slower, and we're generally stiffer. Because of that they don't know how to teach the older rider. Not saying you need to stop jumping, but you have to be more aware of your physical condition and ability. Assuming you're not already going to the gym, you might want to start. If you are you might want to ask your trainer to consider this aspect in your training.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Yikes! I'm only 32!

My mare had a break through - in the past few months she's really figured out how to use her back end, so it has changed the way she goes over fences.

She's been a bit more enthusiastic than usual, and it caught up with me today. I should have taken the smaller fences more seriously.

So, quite literally, my pride goeth after the fall.

It happens to the best in the silliest ways! I was on my 20 year old, semi-retired campaigner a few months ago and he spooked at something silly, stepped back and I went right off over his head at a low posting trot!

Glad you are okay and got it out of the way!

I like to fall off every couple of years just so that I still know that I can do it.

Glad you are ok and that you can laugh about coming off over the dinky fences.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If it makes you feel any better, I fell off cantering toward a ground pole a few weeks back

Spooky mare + snow falling off the roof + me not paying complete attention = hitting the dirt.

I hadn't fallen off since 2005, so I was long overdue. I did get a new helmet out of the deal, and in case anyone is wondering, IRH has a great helmet replacement program and are great to work with

Thanks, all.
    Good to know I'm not the only one!

I don't need to replace the helmet...my rear end took the impact. Have a couple of fascinating bruises developing already.

I'm real proud of myself.

That's happened to me before, too! My guy and I had been in serious training all season and showing 3'9. We were taking an 'easy' day and working on my equitation to give my guy a break. We cantered up to some cavalletti and we were both a little too blase about it. He rapped his front hoof on it, stumbled, and did a spider leap to get out of it...and I ended up on the ground after a slow-mo fall.

Or one time he was screwing around and not paying attention to the little jumps so my coach took away the ground line when he wasn't looking. He cantered up to it and wasn't paying any attention whatsoever until he got to the base and realized someone had 'played a trick on him'. He leaped over the 2'3 fence like it was 4' and I flew into a wall, then slid down it like a bug on windshield. After that groundline 'trick', he started overjumping everything and bucking afterwards, and I ended up bailing twice more that lesson. At least the lesson was learned - keep riding to even the 'easy', lower jumps!

The crappy stuff ALWAYS happens on the little fences because they are unsafe and we don"t give them the respect they deserve. I got really broken in the soulder (plate and 5 screws) and a serious concussion over 2'6 ish. Would not have happened if the fence was at least 3 ft.

I once came thisclose to falling off from a standstill. One minute I was sitting in the saddle talking to my trainer, the next we were 3ft from where we started and I was hanging off her neck. Apparently something spooked her

I've also had a horse do a spook-spin while I was adjusting my stirrup. Managed to land on my feet...for .5 seconds
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Fortunately, (and hopefully, I'm not jinxing myself), I don't come off very often, either, but, all 3 times I have come off my current horse, who I have raised and broke myself, have been on the flat! The first one was walking! She was walking and it was pretty early on in her riding career. I was walking very relaxed doing serpentines around the fence line of a big field and something in some bushes spooked her so fast, I didn't know what was happening until I was sitting on air! It literally felt like one of those cartoon moments, until I crashed to the ground! When I came into the barn, the barn owner said, "Oh, yeah, there seems to be soemthing living in there that's spooking all the horses." You don't think it would have been nice to share that, especially to the owner of the just broke horse?

Quote Originally Posted by mostlynothing View Post
    The crappy stuff ALWAYS happens on the little fences because they are unsafe and we don"t give them the respect they deserve. I got really broken in the soulder (plate and 5 screws) and a serious concussion over 2'6 ish. Would not have happened if the fence was at least 3 ft.
    How do you figure a 2'6 jump is unsafe?

Totally agree that I didn't give it the respect it deserved! Lesson learned!

Got a phone call today while my husband was watching my 11 year old ride today. He said, "The first fall of the year is over with."

Apparently, while she was cantering, a big gust of wind lifted a jacket that was draped over the side of the ring from another rider and into the pony's path. Pony spooked left, DD went right. She was fine - fell on her bottom. Got right back on.

The funny part is that when she got home to tell me about it she said that before it happened she was walking around the ring with another rider and the other girl had asked her how many times has she has fallen off her pony. DD replied, "Two." End of today, the both laughed,"Now 3."

I am the proud owner of our barn's first fall of 2012. Happened after a course of 18" fences I did w/o stirrups. Course was lovely, then his Jumper showed itself and I lost my balance. It happens! And for the record, I can fall off equally well at any height. Going higher does not help me.

Oh, and the funniest fall I saw was an amateur (college age) who is a good rider who catch rode a pony in a flat class at a local show. Class went well, but only after he spooked at the ribbon and darted to his left did she realize just how loose her girth was. Yes, she fell off during the lineup of a flat class.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Okay responding so I don't fall off... I think something would break if I fell off...

Last fall was 14 years ago just after being pregnant with one of my boys I started riding again and of course had to jump too.. went over a X rail and rode Mr. Green Horse (OTTB) towards the arena fencing - bad habit I have because I rode a lot of bolters so I fenced them... yeah rode them at the fence so they would stop.. this horse said "WHAT"??? thinking I was asking him to jump the arena fencing..... ziz to the left ziz to the right I went one way he went the other, saddle sliding to the side - he cantered a lap around the ring, came up to where I was dusting off and looked at me like you fool!!!!

And this same goofy horse reared with me a week prior and I bailed thinking he was coming down on me..... so I think I have had enough falls to last me my entire life!! Yeah..... thats it, I'm good!
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

2'6" is small??

OP - glad you weren't hurt!!

Quote Originally Posted by This Weird Quirk View Post
    It happens to the best in the silliest ways! I was on my 20 year old, semi-retired campaigner a few months ago and he spooked at something silly, stepped back and I went right off over his head at a low posting trot!

Glad you are okay and got it out of the way!
    I fell off my mom's easy to ride lazy trail horse on a day my horse was being terrible at a clinic. A piece of paper blew between her front hooves while we were trotting slowly. She went from forward to backward in the middle of a stride, then spun 180.

This weekend I rode my horse at another clinic and he was explosive enough to scare the clinician who is used to explosive horses... and I stayed on. But it made for fun video!

My previous fall was at a walk. I was demonstrating how a pony I was working for someone made my legs come forward at a canter and the horse I was riding spooked right out from under me since I had nothing to help catch myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I like to fall off every couple of years just so that I still know that I can do it.

Same here! It had been almost two years for me, so I figured it was a good thing. I think if it's more than that a lot of us start to worry about falling off, but if you have a minor fall every couple years it doesn't scare you enough to tense up so badly and make yourself more likely to get hurt.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

Me, too. Hoping I am good for a while now tho!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Yeah, about 2 months ago I decided to ride my retired (23 YO) guy during one one of the group lessons. They were trotting over poles, so we joined in... Well that just blew his brain when he decided that he had to take the "long spot" to the second pole. He jumped it, I got left behind, then he let out a buck (reason he is retired is his hind suspensories are shot so I'm sure the "jump" hurt). I launched over his shoulder & for the first time in my life landed on my feet. So I guess that counts as an emergency dismount, not a fall??
    Life is hard. Buy a freaking helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Whatever, go gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    2'6" is small??

OP - glad you weren't hurt!!

Compared to what we have recently been doing, yes!

This is the first 'real' fall of my mare. I have had two 'emergency dismount' falls in which I landed on my feet - one from a spook, the other because I had a saddle malfunction.

The last fall I had was off a dead quiet paint gelding at 2ft, and the one before that was off a schoolie who had a bee in her bonnet and rodeo style bronc'ed me off.

My falls, historically, are off the easy ones in simple situations.

I'm always on guard with my mare (because she is spicy and athletic) - until yesterday, that is.

Proof I'm not a totally crap rider:
    http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...n/IMG_1058.jpg