The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can winter make my dog's skin itchy?

I have a year old Lab/BC mix who is on his second bag of Natural balance sweet potato and fish, before that he was eating canidae chicken and rice. The food switch happened because he had smelly farts on the canidae, which have gone away on the NB.

He has been very itchy lately, and it seems like his skin is dry, but his hair is glossy. He isn't miserable my any means, but I was wonder if its just because of the season his skin is suffering? He spends a lot of time outside with me at the barn after all.

I don't want to switch his food again, but I was wondering about adding a supplementary oil or flax seed to his food and if that would be appropriate?

Yes it can, it happens to one of my dogs. The forced hot air in my house makes him dry and itchy.

I would try adding an omega fatty acid supplement, like fish oil.

Can human fish oil capsules work?

Winter's dryer air makes me itchier and I notice it in my dogs as well. : (
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Yup, definitely can. One of my dogs always gets itchy in the winter. I up his fish oil from 1200mg. daily to 2400mg. daily and that seems to help.

Yes, the human fish oil is just fine. Add in Vitamin E as well when giving it; I give 400iu of E 3x a week.
    -Kady

Absolutely, the dry winter air can make the dogs extra itchy!

We feed fish oil in the winter months to our 8 year old beagle. If there is some left over, we keep feeding it into spring. Shiny, soft coat and a much happier hound

If you have a membership to Costco, you can order Salmon Oil from their website. I know it might seem odd, but this is the best price we have found for it and it comes with a pump bottle!

My old sheltie would get really dry, itchy, flakey skin in the winter.

I gave him either fish oil or flax seed oil human supplements (whichever was on sale). Start off with 1 a feeding and go up until you start to see an improvement. Worked great !

Our dogs think the fish oil capsules are quite the treat. One of our dogs would purposely pop the capsule each and every time he got his daily fish oil....miss that guy dearly. And here I thought my vet was crazy when she suggested just tossing the capsule to the dogs.

I have a cat that seems extra itchy. Is fish oil generally used in pets? I've never heard that. I know you mentioned dogs taking it but what about cats?

Winter can make human, dog, cat, even pet bird skin itchy.

Try using puppy shampoo.

Yeah it can dry them out, just like us. Fish oil is a good idea. Human fish oil capsules are fine for dogs - we use them for my dog.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Fish oil, and regular brushing to stimulate the skin and its oils are a great way to go.

I'm ambivalent about the fish oil idea. Am thinking you're going to end up with cases of the "trots" the likes of which you won't want to experience again.

As usual, I wouldn't add ANY supplement to my pets' diets unless it was passed through my vet first. That's what your vet is for.

The vets I work for suggest fish oil/caps daily for joint/body health and skin. Fairly inexpensive and works great:-) I buy the 1200 mg caps and started with one a day for 50 lb dogs. Some can't handle more and get gassy. Mine never got gassy at all.