The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stallion suggestions for hanoverian mare by Contucci out of Banter mare Blushing

I am planning to breed my Hanoverian mare this coming year (currently in foal to Goodtimes with her first foal). I am looking to produce a jumper prospect and was wondering if anyone had Stallion suggestions.
    She is 17.1 by Contucci out of the Banter (Bolero) mare Blushing. She is very correct with her faults being slightly small feet for her size, a bit long in the back and a hair tight in loin which causes her from tracking up fully at the trot all the time. She has a beautiful walk and canter and a 10+ temperament. I am hoping for something of similar size to her as I am very tall however would like to add more power from the hind end, athleticism and elasticity.
    I would really appreciate your thoughts on which stallions you think would compliment her well. I am not picky regarding breed or frozen/fresh semen.

Currently I am considering Tinka's Boy, Diarado, Lux Z and Livello.

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5bIZom4ol0
    Thanks
    Last edited by kaylee; Jan. 8, 2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: new video link

I"m curious, why the jumper route? Mare seems very dressage-y...I could see going the hunter-route with her, though.

You are not really stacking the deck for jumping! Contucci is not known for passing on jumping talent, and the Bolero lines...well, ditto! You may be able to produce a hunter, but your best bet is to select dressage bloodlines for marketability of your future foal!

We have a Contucci/Banter at our place that cannot jump his way out of a paper bag. He will do a huge, huge trot over a 2'6" jump...as in, very big cavaletti...but "jump," is NOT in his equi-vocabulary!

2 members found this post helpful.

You are not really stacking the deck for jumping! Contucci is not known for passing on jumping talent, and the Bolero lines...well, ditto! You may be able to produce a hunter, but your best bet is to select dressage bloodlines for marketability of your future foal!

We have a Contucci/Banter at our place that cannot jump his way out of a paper bag. He will do a huge, huge trot over a 2'6" jump...as in, very big cavaletti...but "jump," is NOT in his equi-vocabulary!

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a Contucci who could be a hunter, but jumper, no.

I also have a Bolero line gelding who is a very good dressage horse.

I would have to agree with everyone else so far. I don't think that anyone is saying it is impossible, but it is unlikely to produce a true "jumper". An athletic, pretty horse that can jump sure...

Going for Holstein blood would be a good choice to increase your chances for a jumping specific foal. However, with the faults that you mention, I'm not so sure about that. In my opinion, it would be a good idea to think about a stallion with powerful yet very elastic hind quarters, bigger feet. Also, rather than choose very tall (which tends to also mean longer and difficult to really track up), maybe something with a deep heart-girth. Much easier to collect when they are not too tall anyway (I'm also very tall)...

Of the stallions you mention, I like Diarado. However, you get German VhW papers in Canada, would be a shame to breed to a Holsteiner in case you decide to sell... there are many good Holsteiner stallions used for Hannover - Rabino is one that comes to mind)

If you are keen on trying to produce a jumping foal with your mare, perhaps a calculated gamble? Our stallion White Star is considered a dressage stallion, but has produced international winners in every discipline...
    His comes from dressage blood on the top (even though Weltmeyer had a very high jumping index) and the dam's side has very good versatile blood (Gluecksstern, Wendekreis, Gotthard and of course Grande).

Taking such a "gamble" would almost fully ensure a wonderful moving, good tempered foal that could be suitable as a above average dressage horse ("worst case scenario").

Best case scenario is of course you get what you want, but a middle place result could be a well rounded athlete that moves very well and jumps well enough to be a 4'3 Hunter Derby winner, Advanced *** Event horse etc.

If you look at it this way, you cover your bases on getting a nice, marketable foal if you don't get what you want....
    Certified German 'Trainer A' F.N. (Master Level)
    www.davethind.com

Thanks everyone for your comments, I know it would be a long shot for a jumper, however the mare has shown good form and willingness over fences easily schooling 3'6". That is what was kind of drawing me to the jumper idea. I would be very interested in breeding to a dressage stallion that is also known to throw some jump if that might be a less 'risky' gamble so to speak in at least producing a talented dressage horse for re sale or even a hunter capable of doing the combines etc.if not exactly what I want.

I am not familiar with White Star but he does look lovely and I will definitely consider him.

Does anyone have thoughts on Don Diamond as a Dressage sire?

My suggestions are..(and are two stallions I would use for my Lessing-Banter mare if I was still breeding...so I have given this a lot of thought)

Coeur d' Amour at High Point Hanoverians
    Embassy III (frozen) from Celle
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin