The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I know how/where to get dog bones, but for kitties?

Short of just buying chickens, deboning them, and having oodles of chicken for us (and them) to eat, is there a way to get kitty bones?

No real help here, but a suggestion, perhaps ask on a "cat" forum of cat breeders and the cat breeder type.

KH
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Buy chicken wings?

Or bones meant for toy dogs?

Your cat chews on bones?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Toss them a raw whole wing or a drumette every once in a while. The whole muscle meat is excellent for their dental health.

Oh, one more idea--contact your local butcher or meat counter? If they are breaking down chickens, they may have the racks available. Or if there is anyone who is locally slaughtering chickens?

Oh duh, why didn't I think of chicken wings!

And Guinn, yes they do chew on bones! Not like a dog, of course, they are much much more interested in just getting it eaten. But we had Cornish Game Hen a couple of weeks ago, nice smaller bones, and wow did they ever have a GREAT time.

There is really not much more hysterical than the "wolf" coming out in a little kitty - little Jelly Bean was GROWLING and knoshing and GROWLING

Simkie, yes, there is someone very close who offers free range chicken, I THINK they slaughter themselves, so I'll have to ask if they do piece-parts or if all the sales are whole birds.

Don't laugh! I had a russian blue that would MAUL you for chicken wings! Only because when I moved to the "the burbs" he wasnt allowed outside for the first few months. He was meat eating rodent killing MACHINE! He would pretty much attack anyone with BBQ chicken wings and grab a half eaten wing and run off to crunch it down. He would knock down the garbage tear up the bag and eat ALL the chicken bones! It got to where I would toss him a few whole uncooked chicken wings down so we could all eat in peace, lols!

Not laughing AT ALL! I mean yes, I am, but it's only because I get it!

We tossed out the remnants of the Cornish hen in the garbage, and because of our setup, the can is behind closed doors but the lid is off. Before you could say Boo, the next day when the door was opened, one kitty jumped in, grabbed something of the remnants, and ran with it, growling and hiss-spitting. There was no catching him, nor catching those who managed to get whatever he dropped, so they just crunched down on it all.

Chicken wings it is!

Being in Buffalo, our cats will demolish the trash looking for wings...

Is it actually safe to give cats chicken bones? I know they splinter and aren't safe for dogs...

Weight bearing bones for anything larger than a small rabbit are hard for cats but they will chew on them for a while. I am sometimes too lazy to debone a chicken thigh and my cats will at least take the cartilage off.

To ingest... chicken breast with ribs, small wings, wing tips of larger birds, small backs and necks work. My cut-off is that if I can break it by hand without much effort, the cats can usually deal with it.

Raw bones are ok, it's cooked bones that will cause problems. Wild dogs and cats eat most of their prey, including at least some of the bones.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Being in Buffalo, our cats will demolish the trash looking for wings...

Is it actually safe to give cats chicken bones? I know they splinter and aren't safe for dogs...
    Cooking is what "kills" most bones for the animals. But raw, they are more rubbery and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGuineaPigLady View Post
    Weight bearing bones for anything larger than a small rabbit are hard for cats but they will chew on them for a while. I am sometimes too lazy to debone a chicken thigh and my cats will at least take the cartilage off.
    d
    That seems to be a good rule to live buy - small rabbit or smaller for weight-bearing bones. Thanks

To ingest... chicken breast with ribs, small wings, wing tips of larger birds, small backs and necks work. My cut-off is that if I can break it by hand without much effort, the cats can usually deal with it.
    I might have mutant cats LOL I couldn't break the thigh bones of the Cornish hen, had to cut them, but in about 8 nanoseconds, the 2 kittens (8 and 9 months) each had the knobs chewed off and gone

Of course at that point, I slept absolutely zilch that night, convinced they were going to die LOL

Too funny! I never thought about a cat chewing on a bone. It would never work in my house - the dogs would step on Mr. Kitty and grab the bone away. Maybe if I ever get down to just a cat, I'll start giving it bones.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    Raw bones are ok, it's cooked bones that will cause problems...
    This bears repeating. Raw only, no cooked!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I might have mutant cats LOL I couldn't break the thigh bones of the Cornish hen, had to cut them, but in about 8 nanoseconds, the 2 kittens (8 and 9 months) each had the knobs chewed off and gone

Of course at that point, I slept absolutely zilch that night, convinced they were going to die LOL
    I should have said "for beginner cats" but it sounds like yours are already pros. After a year of raw, my younger cat still won't mess with anything she has to work on but my old guy had it down in a week.

It is scary at first! I found starting off with ribs and wing tips with meat attached so they had to do more chewing to get bits of bone gave me some comfort.

Mine were born pros LOLOL The kittens anyway. Start 'em young

Someone posted on another thread that cooked Cornish Game Hen bones were actually ok, for some reason they don't get to the splintering stage when cooked, they stayed "soft". I couldn't bring myself to do it though. True? Myth? I don't trust a "break it yourself and see what happens" test, but IS there a reliable test?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Mine were born pros LOLOL The kittens anyway. Start 'em young

Someone posted on another thread that cooked Cornish Game Hen bones were actually ok, for some reason they don't get to the splintering stage when cooked, they stayed "soft". I couldn't bring myself to do it though. True? Myth? I don't trust a "break it yourself and see what happens" test, but IS there a reliable test?
    I don't know if this has much to do with it, but Cornish "Game Hens" are actually small meat chickens that are processed at only six weeks old - I would guess that their bones are quite immature and would get brittle very easily.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I did cut up some of the game hen bones, and they did seem quite "soft". I scored one leg bone with a knife, then broke it with my hands, and it was a clean break, no jagged edges.

No cooked bones are okay. Not only can they splinter or build up in the gut, but there is little nutritional value. It's much easier and more healthy to feed raw so just find what works.

Are you doing this for dental health or to feed a true raw diet? There is a benefit to having cats chew through mouse sized (or larger) chunks of boneless meat, also. Replacing a few meals a week with boneless is simple and good for them.

It's actually safer for cats (and dogs) to break off pieces of bone themselves than have you manipulate it. I only threw out the weight bearing/break it with your hands rule as a general guideline for what cats can or will consume. Their own bite sized pieces are always safest.