The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When you find something dead in a bale of hay, how much do you toss?

Found a dead vole in a bale of hay, and I tossed the flake with the vole, but do I toss the flake next to that one too if it seems OK?

TIA.

We had a dead vole also a couple of weeks ago. We threw out the flakes around it also.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

If it was a mummified dead thing I'd toss the flake to either side.

If it was a freshly-dead/still squishy thing I'd toss the bale rather than risk botulism*.

*I'm no expert, but Google search seems to state botulism toxin cannot survive long exposed to air
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Yeah, it was so dead, it took a minute to realize what it was. I had already fed the flak on one side, tossed the flake with the vole and the next.

I'd toss the whole thing. I don't know very much about botulism, but I'd rather not risk it!

While I realize that these days hay is like gold, I too would either return the bale (minus the dead body) to the vendor, or toss it. Actually, I don't really "toss" them - I either add them to my compost pile or spread them around my trees as mulch/fertilizer.

Believe it or not, I once found a whole dead rabbit inside a bale of hay, & when I next returned to my "former" hay/feed dealer & ask for a credit (the bale was a whole $5), they actually asked me to bring them the dead rabbit!!! Like I was lying awake at night thinking of ways to cheat them out of a $5 bale of hay that was part of a $300 load - lol!!!! I told them that I'd buried it in my compost pile & had no plans to dig it back up for verification. They did begrudgingly credit me the $5, & I switched hay vendors immediately thereafter. Geesh.

Depending on the size of the bale, I'd toss at least 2 flakes on either side.

With the way hay supplies are getting this year, I put out a round bale and decided to bite the bullet and do the botulism vaccines for my 2, especially since I have 2 other people feeding who just aren't as careful as I'd like. Since its their first time its a series of 3 boosters ($$$), but worth it.

Many years ago, one of out group noticed an Appaloosa gelding in the barn that was ignoring his dinner hay. Thinking he was colicky, I stepped into the stall to investigate. The horse seemed fine, but kept his back to the hay that had just been tossed on the floor. I went over, kicked the flakes to see if they were bad, and out popped the back half of a calf!

Needless to say, we removed that awful thing, all his hay, and replaced it with fresh hay.

Yukky.

I don't think I'd ever touch hay after that Beas...

Throw it in the compost and it won't be going to waste at least.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine