The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Contact Three Chimneys, they are very good about looking after their own and will help you.
    Yes, when I saw the TC name, I was going to post this. There was something recently either on their website or on FB about their `looking after their own`. I cannot believe a so-called judge would be so blind. Old boys club in action again.

http://www.threechimneys.com/news/index.php#339

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Three Chimneys

Someone from there has been in touch, at least via FB, with the rescue groups. I think there is at least one horse with a Three Chimneys connection.

Are ALL the horses in legal limbo (for adoption/re-homing) or just the few left overnight to be picked up today?

From the latest Facebook update (Sunday night, Jan 08), this is part of last night's post:

"A group of horses were left on the property in the care of the Sabine Parish Humane Society, who has promised to remove them tomorrow and to coordinate with LHRA on follow-up care and final placement.

These horses are in legal limbo (to put it simply). In the coming weeks we will reach out to those who offered to foster/adopt and begin to move horses to permanent homes. "

The full update is posted here:

http://www.facebook.com/LHRA1

Default 12

Just the 12 are being held on the property (as of the latest updates I have). I am pretty sure the owner signed over ownership of all the others. Donna Keen of Remember Me Rescue offered to adopt them on the spot and overnight a check to the Humane Society, but she was given the run-around per her FB updates.

My name is Donna Keen and I am founder of Remember Me Rescue. We assisted in the seizure/rescue of these horses and will soon be looking for fosters and adopters for them. Right now everyone is safe although per my conversation with HS they were unable to move the remaining horses due to weather conditions.
    Yes, I did offer to adopt them all and can not get a straight answer from them. He originally told me a $100 adoption fee per horse but now is 'not sure' of the price. I told them that we specialize in retired racehorse and only work with thoroughbreds. I also told him that horses come out of our program well trained and have skills that will make them an asset where ever they go.
    Still, no for sure answer. He has to let the board decide. I'm Confused. Check out our website and see what all we do with the horses in our program.

http://teamkeen.com/manylahorseseizure.html
    Last edited by remembermerescue@live.com; Jan. 9, 2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: more info needed to be added.

Quoted from the RMR facebook page!:

More good news. They just called from the Humane Society. They would like for me to come pick up some of the horses tomorrow. These horses are of racing age and most have run or were 'ready' to run. If you can help with transportation or possibly fostering temporarily until I have room please post and I will get right back with you.. I AM SO EXCITED!

Yay! Coming home to safety! I'm so excited, as well!!! =)
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

Default breeding

Someone earlier asked if there were stallions or if they were bred offsite. Both. 3 stallions have been seized, but also many of the mares were bred offsite in 2011.

oh, so, the ones he wanted to keep racing are released to the rescues? I hope this is true!!! and hopefully these mares, if bred, already slipped their foals... sheesh, they don't look like they are in any condition to carry a foal.

http://www.sabinehumanesociety.com/i...hp/contact-us/

please let this "humane" society know about your disbelief!

Since moving here Ive had NOTHING but trouble getting anything done about starving animals and abuse that abounds in the back country.

The humane society is allowing this man to KEEP 12 horses in training? !!!

Pressure people we need to keep pressure on these guys to make sure people know that this is NOT OKAY!

Sounds like the Humane Society is acting correctly, perhaps due to all of the attention this case is getting, so at least all of the horses are safe now. Going forward, if people close to the situation can post updates about upcoming trial dates, judges, etc. and let us know what help is needed, that would be great.

Meanwhile, if anyone has not yet made a donation, and wishes to, see earlier posts for where to send your COTH dribble.

I work in a large office. We have a candy cabinet, stocked with whatever candy and snacks people bring in. There's a jar next to the cabinet, and people usually pay something for whatever they get. Each month a different charity gets the money, and info about the charity is posted on the cabinet. This rescue effort will get the funds next month.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Default ALL are gone

All the horses are gone from the property, even the ones Ford wanted to keep local. I think the latest update on those 12/13 is that Remember Me (Donna Keen) was waiting on Coggins and would pick them up tomorrow. Broodmares are in Alexandria also awaiting Coggins and sorting out some ownership issues (some other man claims he owns some of them). Not sure where the 3 stallions went, but they are gone. The 7 (not 6 as previously said) yearlings are in Folsom (now with names of Saints football players). There are also 10 fillies and 4 ex-racers (not sure of age) in Folsom. LHRA's and Remember Me's FB pages have pics and updates, as well as an unofficial list of the dead v. alive broodmares. Below are some links to news stories.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...ne-Parish-farm

http://www.paulickreport.com/index.p...rescue-effort/

This one has video of the ones in Folsom:
    http://www.wdsu.com/news/30181503/de...Ti8mg.facebook

I have been told that some of the mares were bought for $1 from another breeding farm. Pitiful.

Default Owner speaks out

http://www.ksla.com/category/194397/...autostart=true

Also, one of the yearlings died this morning, and two are declining.

Default Longer video interview with owner

http://www.ksla.com/story/16501415/h...lty-speaks-out

If he couldn't afford feed, how could he afford shoes and training fees, but not feed? And if he tried to give away as many as he could, why is he wanting to keep the 13 horses "in training"?

Glad to see on FB that Three Chimneys is in touch and willing to help with horses connected to them and to also get in touch with other farms who may have connections to some of the horses. I really hope these mares/foals get a soft landing and that the foals recover.

I have not listened to the interview yet, don't know if I need to get my blood pressure to rise.

Default "in training" horses

Apparently the HS has changed its mind once again and is hanging on to the horses that are started and registered. They claim to be following the law, but under the law, they have every right to name one of the involved rescue groups as the custodian. Sigh....

People in the horse business have to continue to conduct business.

With the price of hay I am amazed there are not more barns in the news.

Where horses could previously be sent to auction and not return that is no longer an option. You might consign 20 horses and fifteen come back and you still have to pay freight and fees.

I hope those of you who insist that everyone can foresee the future and all possible situations and circumstances, play the lottery! Predict the numbers, win and then support all of these unwanted horses!

I am not saying what has happened isn't heart wrenching but punishing people that life is already punishing does not make sense! IT DOESN'T help the horses. It makes people feel GOOD about something bad happeeing to someone else and that is just creepy.

Not everything in life can be fixed!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    People in the horse business have to continue to conduct business.

With the price of hay I am amazed there are not more barns in the news.

Where horses could previously be sent to auction and not return that is no longer an option. You might consign 20 horses and fifteen come back and you still have to pay freight and fees.

I hope those of you who insist that everyone can foresee the future and all possible situations and circumstances, play the lottery! Predict the numbers, win and then support all of these unwanted horses!

I am not saying what has happened isn't heart wrenching but punishing people that life is already punishing does not make sense! IT DOESN'T help the horses. It makes people feel GOOD about something bad happeeing to someone else and that is just creepy.

Not everything in life can be fixed!
    I am pretty certain this isn't a case of an old guy who fell on hard times and tried, but couldn't do right for his animals.

From LHRA's facebook: "In the brief interview I saw he stated he asked for help. In fact, he was angry we were there and made sarcastic comments about our presence. Other rescue groups attempted to help in the past and he turned down the help. I can't say factually what his intentions or actions were, but I can tell you that he has not missed a meal himself, nor his trainer. His trainer did not feel that there was a problem with the condition of the horses, describing one of the worst as 'not that bad'. It doesn't cost anything to clean out a stall or brush burs out of a mane, or clean a wound. These horses weren't just starved, they were completely and totally neglected in every way. I found multiple bottles of expensive medications thrown about the barn, and not a single bag of shavings or bedding. They should interview his family members next. Family members have called to tell us horror stories of his past animal experiences. This is not someone you should feel sorry for, or even believe."

Default interview with Ford

Yes, he is not to be believed. He said he tried to give away as many horses as he could. This update from Donna Keen's FB page shows what a lie that statement was:

"A woman named Stacy called me yesterday. She is from Mississippi. She saw the story on the news and realized that this is the farm that 4 of her horses were. She had leased them to Charles Ford. She said everytime she spoke to him, including recently, he told her how good everyone was doing. When she named the horses off to me and said Geaux Charlie I almost melted to the floor. He was the sweet gelding that fell as I was trying to halter him. We worked on him for 2 hours, letting him rest for periods and they trying again. Sweet Charlie didn't make it. I stayed with him and petting his sweet head until he was gone. I told her he wasn't alone. He knew people cared about him.
    More than ever before I want people to call the DA's office and make sure this creep pays for what he did. He is a liar. He could have called this lady and countless others to come get their horses and didn't. His whole story is bs. I hope he dies in jail."

I don't generally donate to causes such as this because I prefer to donate my time to local efforts instead to make sure everything is as it seems. I sent my donation yesterday. This is FUBAR and they are going to need all the help they can get. What a shame. The only "bright spot" as with the Norcrest farm fiasco is the mares are so starved there isn't likely to be a flood of new mouths to feed in the spring.

Default foals

Thanks, Laurie. Donna posted a blog entry a couple days ago, which I can't find for some reason, saying that most of the mares had slipped their foals already. So you're right, there shouldn't be many new foals to feed.