The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default pics

Pony, you're right, the news stories don't show the carcasses or standing skeletons. Some of those pics are on the rescue organizations FB pages. I wish those would be published by the news agencies. There was another news story with some video, and it also did not show the true picture of what is going on. (Oh, and that round bale was probably provided the by Humane Society.)
    http://www.ktbs.com/news/30160016/detail.html
    This says that passersby saw horses that appeared unhealthy. I guess they couldn't see the carcasses just by driving by.

Well the RememberMe link to FB still does not work for me. It only brings me back to my FB page. I go to the Louisiana Horse Rescue and see updates there.
    It is so sickening. I don't know how people can live with themselves, sleep at night, look in the mirror ...

Default Remember Me

Does this link work?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/REMEMBERMERESCUE

There is a happy update on there about 4 of the horses who are now safe and eating lots of hay in MS.

My friend has ridden past this farm in the past few months, going back years actually. He said he didn't think the horses looked particularly bad from the road either. I've not been past there so I can't speak from personal experience, but he was shocked when he saw the pic of the grey. He said nothing anywhere near that bad could be seen from the road last time he was by there.

Given how small this community is, and how everyone is always in everyone's business, if it were that obvious to anyone driving past, he or I would have heard about it before it hit the news.

What's sad is I bet there are more cases almost as bad but on a smaller scale that no one knows about or has reported. Logging is a huge industry here, and with tons of back roads and tons of pine trees, there is no way people can see all of the pasture from the roads.

I'm in no way defending the owner or the neighbors or anything like that. I think the guy ought to do some serious jail time, preferably with only leaves to eat. Just saying that out here, it's not always easy to have any clue what people are up to. I can totally see how this was missed. The Humane Society in Sabine Parish is very stretched as it is.

BUT, for the smaller scale seizures, the community has in the past really pulled together to get the animals into decent homes. There was one months back involving 9 horses and some other assorted animals, and they had them all placed within a few days of it hitting the news.

I don't doubt that the worst cases couldn't be seen from the road. Maybe the emaciated/dying ones were kept in a back field. I know that quite a few dead horses were found in a creek, and I assume the creek isn't visible from the road.

Someone on a TB message board posted the list of horses bought at a 2009 TB sale in LA, and this guy bought 9 (or maybe 11) mares, all priced from $200 to $800. Did he really think he was gonna get rich breeding $200 mares? People on FB have been wondering if maybe he was a "hoarder" with a mental illness. No, he's a greedy "trainer" trying to make money off these horses, and there are 12 that were getting ready to go to the track that he is trying to get the humane society to leave at a local barn (instead of coming down to SE LA or Texas) so when he gets them back (God forbid), they won't have so far to travel. I do know that last night the humane society let 2 of the horses go to another local "trainer."

Default Update

Remember Me said they were news teams out this afternoon. Hopefully this will make some headlines. See here for more pictures:
    http://catsphotography.com/2012/01/h...re-in-many-la/

Humane society is still apparently wanting to keep the 12 in training with a local farm so the guy can get them back easily when the time comes. God forbid.... Even if you can't donate time or money or supplies, you can call the humane society and make noise. The humane society is listening to the owner's wishes with regard to these 12 "in training" for some unknown f*cking reason.

Look what we have here! It's the web site for the Sabine Parish Humane Society, complete with a "Contact Us" button.

http://www.sabinehumanesociety.com/i...tra/our-story/
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by lep View Post
    He needs to know that there are more people watching this situation than just the locals who think it's okay to not only own skinny horses, but also to breed them and SEND THEM TO THE TRACK.
    Really hope you're not saying what I think you might be. Last I checked, it's not illegal OR abhorrent to breed and race horses.

I'm not excusing this situation at all - it is horrifying and he should be strung up - but it seems like you have an anti-racing vendetta. Not OK to use this as a platform for that.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Some of these mare's names look very familiar to me... Avie's Trick is a nice enough mare with money earning foals and I really think I might know her from somewhere...
    ~ Shannon Hayden ~

Default Not an anti-racing vendetta!

Slew, oh please, give me a break. I was saying that he has horses with every rib showing (and I don't mean faint rib outlines that some racing fit horses have) that he wants to keep and send to the track. Look at the pics the photographer posted and which I linked to an earlier post. The ones in the stalls are the ones the owner and trainer want to keep to send to the track. The owner was happy to sign over the emaciated and sick and dying horses. But he is fighting to keep these so he can race them. I think you can agree that this owner/trainer combo shouldn't have the right to race anything. With over half of the horses on his property being carcasses, I think he's lost the right to try to make money off these poor things. That includes breeding and racing.

Does anyone have the name of the farm owner?
    ~ Shannon Hayden ~

Default according to a TB board

I haven't officially been told the guy's name, but someone on FB looked up sale results from 2009 and posted this - http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...hips/session-1. See for example, Algebra, a mare on the original list of 60ish broodmares on the property....as well as Auto Be a Pro, etc.

This was just posted on Remember Me's FB page about the Humane Society and the horses "in training."

"Wow, its over. What a couple of days it has been. We had many victories and a few failures. I am exhasted as well as everyone else on site. I have to first say thank you to the LA Horse Rescue team and LSU Veterinary team. They were awesome. I was however utterly disappointed with the Sabine Humane Society whos chief investigator kept changing the rules, first desperate for our help and then shunning the assistance. He ignores the law for horses he doesn't want to take care, (older, unruly, bad tempered, etc.), of and follows it with others, (broke and gentle horses that have already been broke and lead easy). The last 12 racehorses he told us yesterday we could move today. This morning decided to follow the law, (kinda), and keep them for 15 days giving the cruel owner time to post bond for them. He told me this morning I could adopt them in 15 days for $100 each. I offered to adopt all of the remaining horses for $1200 and overnight him a check for them. He gave me the run around when I offered to take them all. Somehow after dealing with him for a couple of days I don't think he is a man of his word. Already heard from someone that someone else is getting some of them and they will probably end up back on the track in a few months."

Nope, the links never work and take me back to my own page. That's fine. I will follow your updates.

This is not the first time a HS talks from both sides of its mouth. I am sure people will keep an eye on the ones that are going to another trainer and will be quick to act if something goes wrong. They know they are being watched. It is sad they don't get a chance at a good life NOW.

Thanks to all the people who worked so hard on behalf of all these horses and RIP to the horses that did not make it.

Default names

Remember Me posted the owner's and trainer's name: Charles Ford of Many, La. Trainer is Bill Young, races under William R. Young. Remember Me also has pics of the 6 living (for now) yearlings. FI, odd you can't get the link to work. Did you try to do a search on FB for them?

Default latest news story

Well this one contains the pictures (and video) that will hopefully wake some people up.

http://www.ksla.com/story/16472569/b...arklatex-ranch

The search on FB takes me to a Remember Me Racehorse Rescue page where there is NO info, NO post, nothing.
    It's weird.

If you can see Donna Keen's facebook page, under her employer section there is a link to the RMR's facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...0022307&ref=ts

This is a truly upsetting situation to say the least. I'm planning on helping out (with a friend of mine) to foster a few of the horses that RMR plans on bringing back. RMR is where I bought my gelding Zeke from last August. Dallas and Donna are amazing people, if something can be done, I have faith they can do it! Any and all donations to this situation are very much needed though!! If you can even donate a dollar, that dollar adds up and will be used to go to hay/feed/dewormer/etc for these horses. Hopefully in a year from now we can see the bright-side of this situation in the horses that were able to be saved.
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

This is nuts. I can read Donna's FB page and I found the link to the rescue and to their FB page.. and then it comes right back to MY page again. I give up! There must be a setting somewhere...

My friend is helping spearhead the identification and transport of these horses. She said it nearly broke her to see these horses. Anyone who might feel like giving this owner a "break" needs to LOOK at the pictures. They say it all. They say enough. If you cannot feed and care for an animal, pass it on to someone who can. And FYI, he is an equal opportunity abuser. His dogs were found dead - starved - in their PENS. Pigs were on the property with RIBS SHOWING - how many times have you seen THAT? Dead livestock was all over the place, and it is over a thousand acres. Some of the horses had newly attached racing plates...no hay, no water, no feed, no grass. The sheriff and the humane society don't see eye to eye and the judge is in the pocket of the owner somehow. It is corruption and abuse at its best.
    Donate, people. Please. There were 20 foals born in 2010 on this farm. five are alive and weigh less than 300 pounds each. The ones who have a chance need that chance and it is going to be expensive. These are not broken down nags but well bred (Three Chimneys is one name) mares and babies. The rescue needs help. Our business decided that from this point on we will donate a portion of all sales to help with these and other horses in critical need.
    And yep, the names are correct.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Contact Three Chimneys, they are very good about looking after their own and will help you.