The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Over 60 TB mares being rescued in Louisiana - update post 134 - foal was born!

For those of you on FB, you can see the details of TB mares being seized from a breeding farm in Many, LA, on the Louisiana Horse Rescue Association's FB page. Apparently there are small animals being seized, too. Citizens in the area had complained of seeing horse corpses and neglected horses on the property.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/LHRA1

If anyone can help by donating time or money or supplies, please contact LHRA.
    If you're not on FB, the here is the contact info for LHRA:
    http://lahorserescue.com/id3.html

Here is a list of the mares (apparently one of the Cat mares just died):
    ALGEBRA
    AMBITT'S BULLET
    ANTI VERSAY
    AUTO BE A PRO
    AVIE'S TRICK
    BEAUTIFUL LYRICS
    BEEP BEEP
    BEMYBABYTONITE
    BEYERS FORTUNE
    BRASSIE ROAD
    BUNNY CAT
    CALL ME EPPI
    CAYLA'S PLAYMATE
    CLAUDCAT
    CROSSED WIRE
    DA VINNA
    DANCE RECITAL
    DARING TRU
    DILLYDALYDEED
    FABULOUS GAMBLE
    FLATTERMEFOREVER
    FORMAL BLOSSOM
    GALORIOUS
    GEORGE SAND
    GREAT AUNT ALICE
    I DREAM OF JEAN D
    I HAD TO LAUGH
    INVALIDATE
    JEWELRY TALKS
    LADY DI'S KIPPER
    LE BIG TIME
    LISSANISKY
    MAGGIE'S MISSY
    MISS SALTY GIFT
    MONITA'S HI STEPPER
    MOONLIGHT MANGO
    NASSAU BOUND
    NOTICE
    ONOITSMOTHERINLAW
    O'NORA
    PARTY DREAMS
    PEWTER POWER
    RADCLIFFE
    RALINA
    SALTY COWGIRL
    SALTY JJ
    SAMURAI DANCER
    SATTIDY'S GIRL
    SHEIKRA
    SMOKIN BONNIE
    TACTICAL VIXEN
    TIFF'S PROBLEM
    WINTERLAND
    Last edited by lep; Feb. 8, 2012 at 06:59 PM.

The Texas Thoroughbred Assoc. is also helping with this rescue. I haven't figured out how to copy and paste on this ipad yet, but you can see details on their Facebook page also.

I'm surprised there aren't any stallions listed. Every effing Tb. breeder in La. has their own stallion(s). That slot money isn't going to help if you just breed crap.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Default stallions

Who knows, there could be. I wouldn't be surprised.

Many is in NW Louisiana, hence Texas's help!
    http://www.texasthoroughbred.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TexasThoroughbredAssociation

Damn, I thought we were don with this crap, now it's round........I lost count on these large scale problems!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I live 10 minutes from Many and work with several horse people in the area. I've not heard anything about this.

It doesn't surprise me though. You cannot find hay here anymore. I had to drive over 3 hours round-trip for some super-expensive coastal. That's the closest hay I could find that wasn't moldy. I hope these horses get homes, but it might be better to put them down. It's hard to feed them when hay just isn't available.

The OTTB placement program Remember Me Rescue, owned by Dallas and Donna Keen, the trainers who I got my now-retired advanced level eventer through as a baby, are also helping with this effort.
    They are accepting donations to help the rescue and have posted some harrowing pictures on their Facebook page. Don't click if you don't want to see horses that look like hat racks or horses getting pink juice. The pictures aren't pretty, but they are the reality of this situation. Note that some of these horses are still in racing plates. WTF?

ETA: Here's a link to the news story about it. Apparently authorities have been working with the horse's own since November. According to Remember Me, those going in are finding numerous dead horses in the fields, horses suffering from impactions from having eaten tree bark, and horses that are alive but too far gone to help.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

If you go to the Louisiana Horse Rescue Association website, there's a sidebar option for Help the Many, LA Horses. When you get to that page, there will be a PayPal donate button. Please help if you can. Thanks!

Here's the link. They are a 501(c)(3) so I hope posting this is ok.

http://lahorserescue.com/id43.html
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Damn, I thought we were don with this crap, now it's round........I lost count on these large scale problems!
    And it is going to keep on happening...

We were in court on Friday with a neglect case/seizure (were awarded the horses) and helped seize horses in the same county that day. Both cases were small, but they have a large case in that county where they need to seize, and they can't. There's no help.....

I think these cases are getting to be terrifying (large and small) and I foresee more sleepless nights for me as I worry about the ones we can't help!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

1 members found this post helpful.

This is very sad news. It's not a hay issue, it's a hoarding issue and not asking for help and just letting your horses starve to death as if you are on another planet, with no help from the equestrian community.

There is a line between pride and love/responsibility for your horse(s). Pick up the phone and start asking for help in giving the horses away if you cannot sell them. Letting them starve to death is just plain cruel.

I sent in my dribble of a donation. Its a horrific situation from the starved horses to the lack of hay available for the rescues to even be able to feed them. If my donation goes to pink juice, so be it. I just don't want the horses to suffer anymore than they already have.

There are DEAD horses sitting in this guys field and they're giving him until 1/15/12 to rehome the ones who haven't died yet? HUH???? He should be sitting in prison, someone responsible should be attempting to help these horses, and the auctioner should get in there to sell the house/barn/property to pay the feed these animals for the rest of their lives.

does anyone else find the 1/15/12 date a little unbelivable?

Default not 1/15

Rescuers are there now evaluating horses. My understanding is that transport will begin tomorrow for those that can be saved.

Default Update just received from LHRA

5 horses were taken today; less than half the mares are alive; 6 of 20 2011 foals are alive. Here is the update from LHRA's FB page:

"To those offering fostering/transport etc, Thank You but at the moment we need to quarantine anything we remove from the property. After a couple of weeks when the horses are stabilized and we know the full effect of what we're dealing with we'll be looking for adoptive and possibly foster homes. I want to send a personal Thank You to Dr. Mirza and the LSU Vet school for their much needed and incredible help today. Without them, we couldn't have been effective. A larger vet team from LSU will be onsite tomorrow - we are so grateful for this assistance. Today we did a lot of firefighting and stablizing. Tomorrow we hope to further identify (many of the mares we need to look up tatoo numbers on so don't have final identifications yet). Of the 53 mares on the list, there are only twenty and change alive right now. Of the 20 2011 foals born, only 6 remain, and three of those are at risk. The 2011 foal crop seems fairly stable and in better health than anything else on the farm. We removed only five horses from the farm today - five healthy enough to go and with valid paperwork."

It is heartbreaking to read the numbers: 20 alive out of 53, 20 foals only 6 alive... so sad. The pictures on the rescue FB page are hard to look at, the other rescue Remember me... the link does not work, takes me back to my own page and I cannot find that rescue on FB

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    It is heartbreaking to read the numbers: 20 alive out of 53, 20 foals only 6 alive... so sad. The pictures on the rescue FB page are hard to look at, the other rescue Remember me... the link does not work, takes me back to my own page and I cannot find that rescue on FB
    Remember Me is on FB, it just has its FB link in caps:
    http://www.facebook.com/REMEMBERMERESCUE

Absolutely heartbreaking.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

A friend of mine was just over and recognized the place from the pictures. It's right by his house, so 10 minutes from me.

I don't have the room or hay to take one in, but I'm headed to NOLA next weekend if any of them need to be transported down that direction. As long as there is somewhere I could leave the trailer for a few days so I don't have to try to park it in NOLA, I can take two. At least I heard some of them were headed that direction, which may or may not be true.

Default transport

Remember Me's FB page says that horses will be transported to a farm in Alexandria today, and horses will be available for pick up from there when Coggins results come back (2-15 days).

Quote Originally Posted by lep View Post
    Remember Me's FB page says that horses will be transported to a farm in Alexandria today, and horses will be available for pick up from there when Coggins results come back (2-15 days).
    If anyone needs one or two transported between Many and NOLA, general area, next weekend, I can do it. I would offer more help on that front, but I just won't be able to for a while. Work is kicking my butt and it's all I can do to keep up with my own critters and responsibilities when I'm not working.

Hampton, please contact the LHRA about possible transport.

I'm hoping that all the horses that are alive go to the 2 rescue groups involved, and that none of them are left with local "custodians" pending this guy's trial.

I'm also hoping that the judge convicts this guy of felony cruelty. My fear, though, is that pity will be taken on the owner because he didn't know he was doing anything wrong (this is coming from an insider). Also, being a small town, everyone knows everyone (including the judge), and no one wants to piss anybody off. I think a letter-writing campaign to the judge might be necessary at some point. If so, I'll post on here so that people can write to him. He needs to know that there are more people watching this situation than just the locals who think it's okay to not only own skinny horses, but also to breed them and SEND THEM TO THE TRACK.

I looked at the news story linked in one of the earliest posts on this thread. The picture with the story shows some thin, but not starving, horses eating a round bale. The first few comments on the story show that people do not really understand how bad the situation is. I emailed the reporter who did the story, asking for continued updates, and more details about how tragic the situation actually is. As much as I hate to see pictures of starving horses, and hear about this kind of thing, it might help get public opinion in favor of prosecuting the hell out of the owner.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?