The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheaper alternative to grand prix gel pad?

Hey,
    i was wanting to get a gel and sheepskin pad similar to this one:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/GRAND+P...AD/p/X1-19336/

I used to ride with an older model of this pad and thought it conformed really well to the the saddle (they were a variety of crosby and antares jump saddles) and horses liked it. I'm hoping it'll work as well with my 17.5" Arc de Triomphe classic dressage saddle and wont be too short (I'm measuring the underside today).

I can't really afford the price of the grand prix pad now and have been really curious about this pad:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHEEPSKIN-WO...#ht_2489wt_887

Seems like it's essentially a knock off, but it's hard to tell the quality over the computer since you can't squish the gel and stuff. Anyone have any personal experience with cheaper alternatives, especially this one?

I've been using an equigel which I really hate in the meantime since it's very awkwardly shaped and honestly I'm worried about it creating pressure points on the edges (not my choice to use a gel pad...long story....).

The Grand Prix is definitely very nice quaility & is substantially lighter than a similar knock off in my local shops.

Personally I'd be inclined to have a separate gel pad & sheepskin pad so you can choose the best combination - note the sheepskin should be against the horse's back & the gel pad closer to the saddle - even with "holes" the gel pad traps heat. ( I supppose that's 1 good reason to buy the combo pad - I'm always surprised at the number of people who use the gel directly on the horse)

If you really want the combo pad, save up a bit more money & go with Dover (who will stand behind their sale should you not be satisfied) & the GP (quality, single piece sheepskin is worth the investment).

... _. ._ .._. .._