The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Loose Stools/ Ulcers/ Total Gut Health

Ok so I have been a lurker for quite sometime and this ordeal has been enough to bring me out of lurkerdom. I have a young dutch mare who has been amazing so far and couldn't have asked more from her. However the started having some loose stool which turned into her attitude turning into less than desirable sucking behind the girth, pushing against your leg when asking to yield, not wanting to come say hello when entering her stall. All of this is not like this mare at all she has always been a love bug. I have studied the forum and all of the posts from succeed to ulcergard to blue pop rocks. I tried Biosponge, Ulcergard, Pop Rocks, Grand Digest, Smart Digest, changing feed and hay, the whole nine yards with nothing seeming to help. I recently ordered Total Gut Health by Ramard Inc. which I was leery about because of the lack of reviews and discussion on this forum. Their website shows that it has ingredients similar to Succeed (which I didn't try due to price) as well as Psyllium and Magnesium to help with the horse who maybe a little nervous. I am very impressed so far as it has really turned her attitude around and her stools seem to be getting firmer. I am wondering if anyone else has tried this product with results? I am hoping this is the long term results I have been looking for and would feel much better if there were others who have had the same success. Also I love that the dosing is one small scoop similar to cosequin size as opposed to the 4 cups I was up to feeding of Biosponge with inconsistent results. Any feedback would be great. Sorry for the long post it is just that I have been through a lot with this mare.

You should remember that not all ingredients are the same. There are many different strengths, molecular weights and sources of these ingredients. For an example: there is a trace of nucleotides in oats, however it's only a trace and some companies will make this claim, but it's really just oats. Total Gut Health has the only equine specific nucleotides available...there are no others. The bioflavonoid blend in this product kill the bad bacteria, that's why you saw results so fast.

Default "total" products

Can't say enough positives things about all the Total products we have tried. The total Gut is amazing, acts fast, and the Total Calm and Focus has changed the lives of two of the horses in our barn here in Wellington. It is all legal to show on as it is natural.

That's great to hear I came out to see my girl today and was amazed at how well she was doing. Here in PA we gave had some crazy weather (15 degrees last week 60 today) and was thinking her hind end was going to be a mess. I was pleasantly suprised that there was no mess for me to clean up! So far the results just keep getting better.

Oh one other thing I forgot to mention was that as the situation got worse she started tring to chew her way through the wood in her stalls. That's what prompted me to start the ulcergard. When that didn't work I thought I was going to be stuck with a wood chewer. I am soo happy to report that all chewing stopped since starting this supplement. Not sure why but I'm glad this was not a permanent vice.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Fan View Post
    Can't say enough positives things about all the Total products we have tried. The total Gut is amazing, acts fast, and the Total Calm and Focus has changed the lives of two of the horses in our barn here in Wellington. It is all legal to show on as it is natural.
    I have to agree, total calm and focus actually works. Just get a clothes pin for your nose, and don't get any on yourself. (Yet total equine relief looks like a nasty poo color but tastes like toothpaste. Go figure.). I had no idea they even had a gut health product, but I will definitely be heading to Farmvet and seignn if I can't try that out for young Mr. mmm......embarrassing digestive issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DivaHunter View Post
    Oh one other thing I forgot to mention was that as the situation got worse she started tring to chew her way through the wood in her stalls. That's what prompted me to start the ulcergard. When that didn't work I thought I was going to be stuck with a wood chewer. I am soo happy to report that all chewing stopped since starting this supplement. Not sure why but I'm glad this was not a permanent vice.
    Often horses will start to cribb when they have a digestive issue. They are just trying to get some roughage in their stomach. You may also see some horses who have some trouble bending one way or another, usually the right is the hardest. This is classic signs of colonic ulers. The bend good to the left, but not the right and pin their ear. They are in pain. Total Gut Health will go right after this issue fast.
    Healthy Horses

What does your vet have to say about all of this and have you had the mare scoped? We found grade 2 ulcers with a scope(with some similar conditions to your mare without the chewing and loose stools), treated with ulcergard and were very happy with the results. It's so hard to know what is going on inside!

The mare at first just seemed to be one of those that would quickly have loose stools under stress. So we tried the digestive supplements (not a calming because the mare tends to be too relaxed sometimes) with off and on success. It continued to progress until it seemed like it had to be ulcers. Like so many on this board we skipped the scoping as we figured that it "must" be ulcers and tried the ulcergard at gastrogard dosing amount. when we saw no change we were at a loss for what to try next. After a few weeks we had hoped to see some improvement. That is when we tried the total gut health. So far it has been amazing (finger crossed) the mare has done a complete turnaround and quickly. Just wondering if anyone else had similar experience.