The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default +1

Love my 2006 Hawk 2-horse with dressing room. Extra-tall, extra-wide with a ramp over double doors at the rear. The stripes have definitely been peeling some, which annoys me, and the hardware that holds the full-length rear doors open is not sufficiently substantial and breaks regularly. Wheels are developing a bit of rust, but they are steel rather than aluminum so that is inevitable. The yellowish goopy spots that develop on the inside of the roof are a bit of a mystery, but of little concern otherwise. I work almost exclusively with young, green, and silly horses and they almost always load super-well because of how bright and roomy the trailer is. Would love to get a gooseneck at some point.

I personally own a 4-star (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!) but I've been hauling around my barn manager's 3-horse Hawk a lot lately, and I have to say, it's a cool trailer. She's always bought Hawk trailers and has had only positive experiences. Also, apparently the horse slots in their slant load measure the largest of any slant. So good info for owners of giant horses who want a slant instead of a straight-load.

We bot a two horse with tack room - bumper pull Hawk in 1998. We sold it to a friend who is still using the trailer. Loved the Hawk for the affordability and durability.

horsetrailerworld.com is a good place to watch for a used trailer.

I am also a believer in Hawk/TrailEt. The only drawback for my climate is that the amount of road salt used on our roads in the winter is hard on the steel frame. I just had to keep an eye on the frame and keep after any rust.

The fiberglass roof is fantastic.

I have a Hawk 1999 2 horse straight load bumper pull with a small dressing room. Fantastic trailer. Its been up to NY, down to GA, and hauled 1 or 2 horses through lots of heavy competition seasons with 3+ hour trips one way. Its light and airy inside so I've never had a problem getting a horse on it (great lights inside too for loading in the dark). Perfect size to haul with my 03 Tundra. The only thing I've ever replaced were the tires. Cost me 9K over 12 years ago. So worth it.

OP - if you were looking at getting a Hawk through Risa at Happy Trails Trailers, have you asked her about her Sterling brand? It's her own brand that she is carrying, but she won't push it on you because she is a Hawk dealer, after all.

Basically, she took everything she liked about the Hawks and made her own trailer and improved upon it. My trailer, which is a Sterling LE, is everything good about the Hawks and more. I got mine fully tricked out (carpeted bulkhead wall in dressing room, fans in both stalls, extra LED lights on the outside, and a canopy) for less than the Hawks - I think that the total came to around $12,000. I also got to choose my decal colors (two) at no extra cost. Ask her about them - totally worth it and I get compliments on my trailer all the time. Risa's customer service is incredible - she didn't have the brackets on hand to mount my canopy, so she sent a guy to my farm - five hours away - to mount them free of charge for me. Highly recommend her and I adore my trailer.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a 2007 Hawk 2 horse straight load warmblood, with dressing room. Pretty much everyone at my barn owns a trailer, and my Hawk is the nicest, even over some of the Trail-ets, whos owners have been a little jealous of some of my hawk's features. It pulls really well, horse loves it, its big, bright, airy, have had no mechanical issues or external issues with paint or rusting anywhere. I got a DEAL on it too, bought it this last summer for $8k and I knew of people who were selling the same trailer w/o a dressing room for about $1500 more. I searched for a Hawk specifically for about 6 months before I jumped on this one- girl i bought it from went to the factory in WI(I am in MN) and picked out everything and it was her dream trailer, i told her we had a lot in common because it was exactly my dream trailer too!

Thanks guys!

Pretty sure I'm going to be going custom from Risa.

any add-ons that I wouldn't think of?

getting extra thick padding, fans, windows in back, loading light, diamond plate/bumper, 7'6 size, adjustable bumper, extra tail light

Default ♥ ♥ ♥

I finally bought a (used) 2006 Hawk 2H Straight Load BP w/ DR & Ramp in July (after searching for ~9 months) and absolutely love it. So far it's done a few local trips (30 min ~ 1 hr) and a 8 hr, 375+ mi trek from VA to NY. Only complaint is the passenger-side doors won't stay shut, easy fix is to lock them when on the road. Looking forward to spring & new adventures! (and teaching my mare to self-load )

@reay6790:
    people looking for a hawk trailer - try craigslist (seriously!) Search all cities that you would be willing to drive to (mine was 6 hours away, lol).

Add-Ons: I think you covered the basics, here are some more
    • wire electric to dressing room for lights, etc (if not already)
    • blanket bar
    • brackets on head divider for water buckets
    • extend divider down to floor
    • conspicuity tape (you can easily do this yourself)
    • cabinets or some other type of wall/ off the ground organization
    • adjustable butt/chest bars (is that what you meant by adjustable bumper?)
    • light in horse area
    • extra hooks/tie rings outside trailer (for hay, water, etc)
    • if you don't like where the breakaway box is, have it moved (I'm going to move mine to inside of the bench/storage
    • bench/storage ~ I don't really recommend this. My trailer came with it and it just takes up space (I can fit the blankets etc in there into bins, easy. Plus it takes up the only wall that could be used to put things like whips or something like the grid at http://organizedbarn.com/
    • water tank (in the v-nose or right-angle corner)
    • camera (so you can see how s/he is doing)
    • RV grab handle at dressing room or horse doors, or fold-down step into dressing room
    • Clothes bar (just put up a cheap torsion rod)
    • extra bridle hooks/saddle racks
    • small D-Rings strategically placed in dressing room (for bungee cords, lol)

Are there any things that you really like about your friends' trailers or things you think would be nice to have when you trailer with them?
    Last edited by kichiri_kachiri; Jan. 10, 2012 at 01:50 AM.

I just recently bought a Hawk Elite XXL (As big as they come) GN 2 horse with dressing room. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. I bought every extra you could just about!! HA HA.....I love the option to pull out everything easily and have a box stall for Mamas and babies to take to inspections. My horses love the light and airy look and the FANS!

The only thing I don't like are the butt bars and the pins. Anyone know how to make the lineup and insert easier? PITA
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Ditto good expereinces with Hawk
    They also manufacture the rear facing Balanced Ride trailers for Risa. There is a used one of those for sale in MS, not too far from Memphis, but pretty expensive.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=335437

Quote Originally Posted by kichiri_kachiri View Post
    Ibench/storage ~ I don't really recommend this. My trailer came with it and it just takes up space (I can fit the blankets etc in there into bins, easy.
    see this is the main thing I was going to recommend. Love that bench/storage place in the nose of the DR.
    I can put organizing bins of my own under the saddle rack (not sure if that is an extra (I got mine used so not sure what is standard and what was extra) but if it is definitely get that and the bridle hooks) and can put a whip holder above the bench
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    see this is the main thing I was going to recommend [...] put a whip holder above the bench
    Goes to show that everybody has different taste so do what works for you

I've been debating putting one there... I just need to buy one first

@Europa: jealous! one day in the (far, far) future I want a 2+1 GN w/ DR. of course I'll have more than one horse by then

That one in Memphis is nice!!!

I've never driven a truck and trailer before and this is going to be my first....so I need something small

I like the idea of balanced ride but I couldn't get my parents to go with it.

I will make sure the dressing room has a light.

Default I have

I have a 2 horse Hawk warmblood size gooseneck with side ramp and I love it! I got mine through Risa at Happy Trails as well. The only add on I did was I got a barred divider so my horses could see each other easily. If I had to do it over again, I'm probably get the diamond plating for the front of the trailer. Hmm, maybe I'll check into that!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

The Balanced Rides also come in bumper pull models. I have the 2+1 Balanced Ride as well and love it. Had a 2H BP Hawk and loved that as well.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

definately don't skimp on the diamond plate...I got it all around and also extra lights and ties inside and out.

If you live in a hot climate I suggest the fans and the dome vent...love love mine.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

reay6790 - I'll share what I got from Risa.

Pretty much I got everything I could get, and still got in under my price cap.

I have the LE (Luxury Edition) model, which is extra tall, extra wide.
    Got the:
    ~ carpeted bulkhead wall
    ~ tubular head/shoulder divider
    ~ fans in both stalls
    ~ customized light grey padding and butt bar/chest bar covers, light grey feed bags
    ~ extra LED lights for the outside (this thing lights up like a Xmas tree at night!)
    ~ spray foam insulation for the fiberglass roof (for extra cooling)
    ~ full rear doors with ramp (I had a ramp fall off a Sundowner once, and it scared the cr@p out of me
    ~ two-way scoop vents over each stall
    ~ awning! I adore my awning! It's pretty and blue and matches my trailer

All of the rest is standard with her Sterling trailers, including Gator spray shielding on the hitch tongue and all steel parts, window in the dividing wall between stalls and dressing room, etc. If I wanted all of these extras in a Hawk, I would have had to fork over about $3-4k more. Oh, and she offered to take my old trailer in trade, but I sold it privately.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

we have a 2 horse Hawk; it's the warmblood size and has the side ramp....love it!