The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bought my Hawk new in 2010 2H BP with DR. Love it!!!! Made some personal modifications to it. Added a 12 volt outlet in dressing room for whatever, mounted 800 watt inverter for household current, Heater in the winter. Put a shelf in the nose above the windows for extra storage, also have a blanket bar off of that, as well as make a nice place to hang coats, xc vest and stuff. I'm 6' and have plenty of headroom. Also added anchor hooks throughout the tack room to keep stuff from sliding.
    I like to tinker and keep my trailer neat and organized.

I'd love a pic of the storage smokey!!

OP exactly which Model Size Hawke did you end up with is it a 2 plus 1 or a 3 horse slant?....

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Jleegriffith, what is a coat barn?
    I'm also curious!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    OP exactly which Model Size Hawke did you end up with is it a 2 plus 1 or a 3 horse slant?....
    I got a 2 horse straight load bumper pull with a dressing room. XXL so xtra tall, wide, long. I also go extra windows which is why it may appear to look like a 3H slant. I did get the full doors option for the back with the small ramp, and I love it! I also especially love my adjustable butt and breast bars and I changed the interior padding to black.

I also added conspicuity tape and extra brake lights which I think are totally worth it!

Any feedback on 2002-2005 models?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

What happens when you have to replace part of the rumber floor?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Naters, have you heard bad things about the 02-05 models? Mine is an 05,I believe. I love it! No problems so far. We only use it 6-8 times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    What happens when you have to replace part of the rumber floor?
    Why would you have to replace part of a rumber floor?

I assume a Hawk dealer/repair shop can just take out damaged boards and replace them with new boards exactly the ame way wood floors could be replaced. Curious... what happened to make a rumber floor need replacing?
    ~Veronica

In one ad, for one trailer, owner said the horse pawed through the rumber floor...

Is there a good site to learn more about the rumber floor material? I am googling now, but as an engineer, I am more concerned about structural integrity (especially with the Sundowner craziness that went on!) of the floors than I am about carpet in the dressing room

I have heard to separate people list concerns about the 2002-2005 models, but I have not been able to confirm that with Hawk, or anyone that actually owns one.

I asked both if they were getting Hawk/Sundowner confused, but they insisted it was "Hawk" and they were aware of the separate sundowner issues.

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    In one ad, for one trailer, owner said the horse pawed through the rumber floor...

Holy crap! Did that horse LIVE on the trailer? I guess they didn't have matts down! Why, if the horse pawed, didn't they put down a mat?! If you've ever seen a rumber board, they're incredibly hard/durable. I'd be shocked that a horse actually pawed through but I guess anything is possible. Why didn't they react when they noticed the horse pawing? I thought you were going to say the trailer was in a car accident or something. I would expect it takes a fair amount of neglect to let a horse paw through rumber?!

I dunno... I'd be slightly leery of that trailer. That story doesn't quite add up to me...
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    I got a 2 horse straight load bumper pull with a dressing room. XXL so xtra tall, wide, long. I also go extra windows which is why it may appear to look like a 3H slant. I did get the full doors option for the back with the small ramp, and I love it! I also especially love my adjustable butt and breast bars and I changed the interior padding to black.

I also added conspicuity tape and extra brake lights which I think are totally worth it!
    reay6790, would you mind PM'ing me how much your trailer cost with all the options you put on it? I really like the XXL size and was wondering how much the extra windows, adjustable bars, and full doors would possibly run me over the regular "plus" package that Risa offers.

You can go to Trailer World .com and see 2013 models pre priced...$13K up from what I saw since we are toying with idea to trade up to a 2 + 1 from a 2 straight and no I don t want a 3 slant for a whole lot of reasons...

I LOVE MY HAWK TRAILER. You must get one! Mine has lasted 8 years with the only major thing is one of the lights going out and the stripping coming off. But those are super easy fixes (I have a sign person fixing the stripping). Not only are these trailers nice looking, but they are super smooth and comfy for the horses. Trust me, I have ridden in the back (don't tell the police) just to test it out.

They are very bright with excellent vents and windows for optimal air circulation. They don't get too hot in the summer or cold in the winter. The windows make it very bright and open in the trailer and very few horses struggle with getting on it. I've dealt with a lot of babies, and they have NO problem with these trailers.

The only thing I dislike is the material on the ramps. I find that things get stuck in the little holes and it's impossible to completely clean. The rumber flooring, however, is superb!

I got mine last year. It's a 1999, but it only had 2 years of use because it's former owner had sadly died in 2002, the trailer then sat unused for 10 years. As such we did a lot of greasing and replaced the tires and it's been awesome. I have to say at first I was unsure of the 5' custom half wall, but my god the bettter venilation and such for the boys! I am just careful not to put anything very clean on the tack room side of the wall when we're shipping to the show. Hay does migrate with help from Petey!!!

Here are pics when I looked at it.

http://s103.beta.photobucket.com/use...romLegacy=true

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries