The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The adjustable butt bars are great for hauling ponies, small horses or babies.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Yes, I'm definitely getting the adjustable butt bars. One of my horses is 14'3 so I think he could use them.

I havw a 7 year old 2H GN XXL Hawk that I got from Risa and it has been terrific. One feature that I got that I really like is the over-latches on the escape doors which you need if you want to take out all the innards and haul as a big box stall. I had a scrambler and that feature was a lifesaver as she would ride quietly in the box stall. I would do the same set up for a long haul with only one horse.

I also have the drop down windows on the escape doors and those are great for increased ventilation on hot days. As I recall these features weren't very expensive and both really added to the functionality of my trailer.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    I just recently bought a Hawk Elite XXL (As big as they come) GN 2 horse with dressing room. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. I bought every extra you could just about!! HA HA.....I love the option to pull out everything easily and have a box stall for Mamas and babies to take to inspections. My horses love the light and airy look and the FANS!

The only thing I don't like are the butt bars and the pins. Anyone know how to make the lineup and insert easier? PITA
    They were the same on my 1st hawke and now the 2nd...take the butt bars down and swap them...they are kind funny that way..also use your hand closest to center divider to lift the corner of bar it seems to center it and makes pin on exterior wall align and drop in...I don't undo front bar I always duck under same issue..and I don't care so Love My Trailer...

hmmm...normal back or full doors with ramp?

also i do like the idea of a side ramp...but it's so much more moneys!!!

I love my ramp with full doors on the back. I haul lots of horses from the track and to shows. The ability to be able to keep a door closed on one while loading/unloading another gives me peace of mind. They don't ram the butt bar because the full door makes them realize they aren't exiting

I have a 2+1 and I mostly use my side ramp.

I absolutely LOVE my Hawk trailer. A good friend of mine had a Hawk. I was impressed with how it was made & how it pulled. After looking at other brands and comparing price/quality I decided that is what I wanted. I really lucked out on my trailer. I got a 2007 Hawk 2 horse straight load gooseneck with a ramp. I am not a huge fan of slants. It is warmblood size. I have a large dressing room as well as a separate mid tack room. It's about a 22 foot long trailer and pulls like a dream. No issues at all.

The horses load very easily into it and it rides so well. I'd recommend these trailers to anyone.
    Let go & enjoy the ride!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/Hearts-dazzle

Definitely full doors with ramp over. I wish I had a side ramp and will spring for it on my next Hawk. The other thing I'll get on my next one is the door between the dressing room and horse area.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Apparently the full doors with a ramp is not very popular, but I would think that it would be a great safety feature.

We are pretty much decided on a BP with dressing room, no side unload, no backwards riding. Possibly next trailer will have it, but neither of our horses have issues backing off of trailers.

does anyone have the carpeted dress wall and like it? anyone without one have an issue?

does anyone have the carpeted dress wall and like it? anyone without one have an issue?
    Yes and a built in tack trunk highly recommend as well as the overhead shelf.....

Yup - have the carpeted dress wall. It keeps the bridles/halters from banging around and scratching the surface, and it reduces noise. Love it.

Definitely full doors with ramp. Ever since the ramp on my Sundowner fell off (leaving me without a rear door!), I have insisted on getting full rear doors. With the insulated roof, fans, and rear windows open (as well as windows in the dressing room wall divider and windows open in the dressing room nose), there's plenty of breeze without having the back open as well.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Ditto everything below. I got mine last year, same setup, hauls great and loved working with Risa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I had a new one built working with Risa at Happy Trails Trailers. I am just so in love with it! It's a 2+1 and I had a lot of the options built in- blanket bars, extra saddle racks, tack box, coat barn, fans, water tanks and more. I have the double doors in the back which are amazing when I have lots of horses on. Really gives you extra safety to be able to keep one door closed and back the other horse out.

Everytime we go out we remark that we don't know how we lived without this trailer. The 2+1 feature is amazing. I haul a lot of Tb's so I typically walk them up the ramp and then back them in. Much easier for me to do when I am alone that loading from the back.

Risa was excellent to deal with. I highly recommend her.

Here is a picture of my trailer
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/...21d8a1c591.jpg

Definitely get the carpeted wall in dressing room....and instead of carpet of the floor get the rubber mat. So easy to just sweep out....

Does the rubber cost extra?

I had a new one built working with Risa at Happy Trails Trailers. I am just so in love with it! It's a 2+1 and I had a lot of the options built in- blanket bars, extra saddle racks, tack box, coat barn, fans, water tanks and more. I have the double doors in the back which are amazing when I have lots of horses on. Really gives you extra safety to be able to keep one door closed and back the other horse out.

Everytime we go out we remark that we don't know how we lived without this trailer. The 2+1 feature is amazing. I haul a lot of Tb's so I typically walk them up the ramp and then back them in. Much easier for me to do when I am alone that loading from the back.

Risa was excellent to deal with. I highly recommend her.

Here is a picture of my trailer
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/...21d8a1c591.jpg
    My dream trailer!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I still love it more than I ever thought possible. Don't know how I lived without it. Totally worth every single penny.

I still love it more than I ever thought possible. Don't know how I lived without it. Totally worth every single penny.
    Promise, if you ever decide to sell, you'll give me a head's up!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Default Hawk trailers rock!

I love my Hawk. Got the 2H BP, extra tall, wide, dressing room, with the wall carpet, regular ramp with top doors, fans in both stalls, roof vents, etc... I decided on wood floors with rubber mats instead of the rumber. (If I remember right, wood still has better shock absorption properties than the rumber. But technology may have improved.)

I've had no complaints. This was my first brand-new trailer and I did tons of research before deciding on Hawk. Bought it new in 07. Absolutely love it!

And I have the added bonus of living about 30 minutes away from Risa's new service location! I decided to put a torsion control hitch and bars on a couple years ago and they did a great job.

Lots of the extras are things you can add later after market. Remember that as you "design" your trailer. If you really want some feature that is structural, like side ramps, full back doors, extra height or width, consider spending on those things when you order. You can always add things like fans, hooks, racks, etc... later.

Good luck!
    Fox Wood Farm

Guess I should update this thread with my trailer! I've had it almost a year and LOVE it to pieces. I ended up getting a '03 Diesel Excursion to haul with it and the combo is great.
    Tuesday:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...psffa3e1da.jpg

last summer:
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/d9e0a463.jpg

Jleegriffith, what is a coat barn?