The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default those 'click' moments. Critique please!

As some of you kindly pointed out in some of my previous lesson videos, my hands do not really follow my horse all that well during a jump. It has always been a problem, has thrown me off balance, and prevented me from moving up to bigger and better thigns. However, today I had a 'click' moment which I caught on video and it felt SO much smoother and I didn't feel like I had to re-organize myself after every stinking jump! SO, please critique this very short clip and let me know what you see, good and bad, about my position, and pay special attention to my hands. Thanks so much!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjeyd-fdHeA

You have a good base position, and your hands look fine ( though I did not see prior "bad" hands). You start to tip and half seat/two point at the pole on the ground and through the exercise... Sit down, and sit up! otherwise you look like you're on your way to bigger and better things, as you say.
    “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.”
    -Winston Churchill

Thanks! Anyone else?

Looked fine to me for what you are doing.

Part of the problem with little fences is that a rider does not get a lot of feed back to/over/after a fence, which, in my opinion can make it a little hard to get a feel for a horse moving you over a fence.

I like to see a rider sit a stride or two, when trotting fences, before the line so they are in that home position. It seems if we are out of the seat already we tend to want to help with the jump, instead of letting the horse jump move us.

Remember the riders job is between the fences, once the horse jumps our job is to get out of the way and let the horse do his job; jump. If you remember this, the hands become natural. Most problems with the hands come from poor balance , or from riders jumping for the horse and then having to adjust the hands to compensate for the false position. In practice the rider should be in the same position they were in before the fence, the horse opens and closes the rider through the jumping motion, let this happen and the hands will follow the horse.

Remember too you seat is a great aid, use it. When you ask for the stop, drop into the seat and support with the leg, and quietly ask whoa. A horse does not stop well on their front end, therefore we have to collect and balance etc. even when we are stopping.