The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I'm right on the IN-MI line so anyone going along the Ohio/Indiana Toll Roads passes about five miles south of my barn. Sounds like if they're in desperate need we might be able to get a load going. Not sure where Derby Lyn is (Michigan's kind of huge and much farther north than me and it's not on the way to anywhere...)

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I'm right on the IN-MI line so anyone going along the Ohio/Indiana Toll Roads passes about five miles south of my barn. Sounds like if they're in desperate need we might be able to get a load going. Not sure where Derby Lyn is (Michigan's kind of huge and much farther north than me and it's not on the way to anywhere...)
    I'm not sure where Derby Lyn is either, so it may or may not be helpful info, but it was something to think about. I'm about 20 minutes South of Madison, so not very far into WI either.

And I appreciate the info tradewind. I did eventually find someone to ship Stan and Hank back in the day, and my trainer had a horse shipped to her from new england last year, so I know it can be done, but I remember being surprised how many shippers said no, and then one said yes, but kept pushing the date back over and over, until it got to the point that I had to call all over again and hire someone else. Very frustrating!

DH said he's fine with me getting another pasture animal as long as it's not a llama or a pygmy goat, and it doesn't cost him 10k a year in vet bills like my ridiculously accident prone youngest mare Hard to guarantee that last part - insurance may be in our future
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Apparently Starduster and Lolly are still looking for homes....BUMP.

BUMP

No-go for me. Talking to the vets in the area, it sounds like the turnaround time for the Coggins is just not going to leave enough of a window for an out of area shipper.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I think you can get RUSH Coggins if you pay extra fee

Quote Originally Posted by anuphillbattle View Post
    I think you can get RUSH Coggins if you pay extra fee
    Yes, I asked for the rush, and with a Tuesday blood draw, they couldn't guarantee papers in hand any earlier than the 31st. Which would give us a shipping window of exactly that one day for pickup. And given the weather this time of year, I just don't think I can bank on being able to get a shipper there on that exact day with such short notice.
    -Edward Hoagland

Wayside, are you talking about Way Easy? If so are you still getting her - just not going with that shipment?
    I know someone who had e-mailed & called wanting to get her, but a couple or so days ago Bev told him she'd been placed...

Quote Originally Posted by CharingHounds View Post
    Wayside, are you talking about Way Easy? If so are you still getting her - just not going with that shipment?
    I know someone who had e-mailed & called wanting to get her, but a couple or so days ago Bev told him she'd been placed...
    Nope, Bev and Beth told me they had strong leads for Way Easy and Smooth Slew, but nothing firm for Lolly or Starduster. I reminded them that danceronice had expressed interest in Lolly, and said I'd be willing to take on Starduster. But since the deadline for the mares is firm, and there's no guarantee I could get the paperwork and shipping done with such a small window, I told them I was backing out. In part because initially Beth had told me that she had a last resort home available nearby for Starduster (which seemed like better idea than interstate travel given the lack of Coggins), but that she wanted her to go to someone who was really excited about her instead of being a last resort. But when I cancelled, she then told me that there wasn't anyone else and she was going to have the euthanize her.

And they've so far been uncommunicative with danceronice.

So no mares coming to the Midwest for me or danceronice, and I have no idea if there are backup homes in mind for the remaining mares or not.
    -Edward Hoagland

Question

What a shame. The guy I know had started making arrangements with a shipper while he was waiting to hear back on Way Easy...

It seemed like there were several potential homes being considered. To think they may have dropped the ball while some mares had folks waiting on a list is disheartening.

I hope the outcome will be happier than it's looking now.

I live 2 hrs away from these mares. If you just need more time to arrange shipping, I will pick them up and bring them to my place before the deadline, and you can ship from VA. Would an extra two weeks be enough time for you to arrange shipping?

I would also consider (if approved by Beth, of course) either one if they would be easy projects, as I am not equipped with the skills required to handle a difficult horse. I'm not interested in breeding, only a riding project.

The biggest part of the issue is that the mares don't have Coggins (or health certificates for interstate travel, but that's fast as long as there's a current Coggins), so shipping has to be scheduled for a date after blood is drawn and the Coggins comes back.

Given that EIA is primarily insect-transmitted, health risk is low, but that doesn't change the fact that it's illegal. While I might look the other way driving a horse a few miles down the road myself, no ethical commercial shipper is going to take the horse across state lines without the appropriate paperwork.

I cancelled the appointment I made for Starduster on Tuesday when I realized the deadline was just too close for comfort.

While I'm willing to pay for the Coggins, etc. to get a horse here, I'm not willing to pay $$ for the vet work and shipping deposit for a slim chance that the paperwork and the shipper make it in within such a small window of time.

It sounds like the horses are easy and sensible on the ground, Lolly is a little more shy and reserved, Starduster is bolder and goofier, both put in some time at the track, so they were started under saddle, but neither of them has been ridden in the last several years.

I'm still open to the idea of taking one of them on, but I felt it was best to decline unequivocally so that if there were any late enquiries, they wouldn't be delayed by my "maybe".
    -Edward Hoagland

Timely Impulse I sent you a PM. I also live in VA.

Pristine, got it. I'm going to the farm tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by TimelyImpulse View Post
    Pristine, got it. I'm going to the farm tomorrow morning.
    That sounds promising. Good luck!
    -Edward Hoagland

bump

I don't often check the Giveaways forum, but if you work something out, please pm me. My offer of some PayPal dribble $$ to offset some expenses still stands.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

I will be picking up Starduster next Sunday. Coggins will be pulled Tues. It's about $60 for farm call split/ draw, but I will confirm with vet tomorrow.

Lolly is a sweetie. Both mares were turned out when I got there, and they were taking turns playing jaccuzzi in the stock tank. Silly mares. Beautiful feet on both, barefoot. Both well behaved on lead. Picked up their feet, racetrack style, and no problem. Lolly has very soft eyes and is quite the lady. Please, someone get her. If you commit, there is still time to get the coggins done Tuesday. And, I am still willing to have her at my place for a week or two if shipping needs to be arranged, IF The owner is OK with it. She is extremely reasonable and cares deeply for these horses.

I have already said I would take her. I will send my contact info to you and her. I would pay you to deliver to my place if you are willing. I was in touch Beth via email before and she said she would let me know if she did not find other homes for them.

Great! Got your pm, and left you a vm.