The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    I gather these mares have not been ridden since their racing days, but are they sound for retraining as riding horses?
    Bev at MidAtlantic can give much more information since she's working directly with the farm, but the mares all walked out and stood comfortably for photos on Thursday, with the exception of one mare who was a little tender-footed because she was working on an abscess. I wish I had more information, but hopefully Bev can fill you in on particulars as far as any racing injuries. 610-405-0607 or email Bev@MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Way Easy has never raced or had any registered Thoroughbred foals. Starduster had 1 foal in 2007. I sent an email asking about riding soundness and breeding soundness and the reply contained no info on either. Bev said there was a cc to Beth and I checked and there was no cc. The ad says Smooth Slew is sound and sweet.

Just e-mailed Bev, will see what's going on today...BO had a family emergency so I can't really check with her on stalls, but then again my parents have good fencing and a stall if I'm desperate, dance teacher's stepmother has a self-care (and apparently a VERY nice Hano stallion, too...hm...there's always sports markets, too....wonder if she needs mares...)

Sorry Pristine, there have been so many emails and I must have forgotten to cc Beth in that one- (sometimes I forget attachments too, need a secretary!!) what was your email addy? I will resend...
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

I love Sweet Lil Lolly - she's something else. Unfortunately, I cannot get up there by the 31st but sending jingles her way!

Just for grins - is she sound for riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Bev wouldn't it just be easier to tell everybody whether the remaining mares are sound for riding,sound for breeding and some people I am sure would like to know how well they get along with other horses and other important things like ground manners,good for vet?good for farrier?,etc. It would save time and trouble to have all pertinent info available. Why not just post it here.

I was up at Ben Ray farms on sat picking up the colt, we also looked at sweet lil lolly and the other three mares as well. sweet lil lolly is sound they said she had an abcess on her front left but it was healed and she had no tenderness issues or heat and was just as sound as could be. the other three mares are also sound. the one mare star-something- cant quiet remember her name..... but she is a big beautiful mare, would make a great sport horse. and the last two mares are also sound. they all have exceptional manners and just very laid back, all the mares are a pleasure to be around, and the colt i got he is just a dream... he has some of the best manners ive seen in a colt his age.... if anyone is interested in these mares please dont hesitate... they are not just some scrubs, they are all very well taken care of and all deserve to have good homes... if i could have taken all of them i would have...

ALSO.............
    i believe all the mares were turned out together in one field. i was all around sweet lil lolly's legs and she never even flinched... great manners, even the colt i got i can pick all his feet up and he doesnt even move. they have def been worked with.. all there feet looked pretty up to date and good condition. best feet ive seen on TB's lately...as for the vet i was told they are all up to date on there shots and such.... these people are honest people not just looking to get rid of some horses on a drop of a dime, they have been trying to place these horses since 2010 i believe, i think they started with 25 TB's of all ages and are now down to 4. so these people have take alot of time and they do call and check vet references and such so they follow up on who is getting these horses. and very easy to work with also...

Starduster seems to have a lot of presence in her picture.

FWIW neckar--way back in her pedigree on the dams side was a legitimate producer of sporthorses on the continent

"Neckar, who is probably best known as the sire of Vollkorn xx (who produced the important sport horse sire, Volturno) and Waidmannsdank (dam sire of Goldstern, Akzent I and Akzent II), but he is also the dam sire of Angelo xx (Angelo sired Olympic Gold Medalist, Ahlerich, and is dam sire of the modern dressage wonder sire, Rubinstein), and Federgeist xx (sire of Robert Dover's Olympic partner, Federleicht), and the Oldenburg & Westphalian licensed, Lenz xx. Neckar's sire, Ticino xx, also sired Waldenser xx (sire of Wahnfried) and Nizam xx (sire of Sherry, eventing Team Gold Medalist in Seoul, and dam sire of the Dutch jumping sire, Jasper, who produced Peter Leone's Olympic show jumping partner Crown Royal Legato)."

she does have alot of presence.

when they brought her out of the stall and out of the barn myself and my sister in law both looked at each other and were in awww..... she a big girl, tall and big boned.. more than what i thought she would be compared to her pictures. the pictures def dont do her justice.

Default bump

These mares look very nice! Love the sweet gray, and Sweet Lil Lolly has a really nice build for eventing or dressage!

I'd have a hard time choosing between Starduster (LOVE her neck and shoulder - screams hunter to me), and Smooth Slew (she just looks so kind). Way Easy is put together well and has a lovely head with a bit of a dished face. I bet she is really fancy when cleaned up and shedded out.

Come on folks, these are LOVELY mares - take a chance on one if you can. We are full here or I'd be making arrangements to have one shipped. Don't let the drive or shipping deter you - I'm sure we could get a daisy chain of rides set up if someone is really interested in one or more of these mares! I also posted this to one of my other lists to see if anyone can take them.
    Last edited by witherbee; Jan. 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

bump

From what I've read, Thornmar Farm is also looking to either place some mares or euth...might be worth giving them a call. It breaks my heart to see this, and wish I could help, but I'm full with my own retirees.

Too bad they're not close to me. Way Easy kind of reminds me of my old show hunter, and she's tugging at my heart strings.

I have the space. Barn full of hay, an extra stall, my husband just got a promotion. But I had a TON of vet bills last year and the year before, so I'd really like to build that cushion back up before I bring another one home. It's getting better, but shipping would certainly put a dent in it. Hmmmm...
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Bump. Have any of these mares found homes? Perhaps post them on the Camelot horse rescue page on FB. The Camelot auction is still held up in court so maybe some of the members on there (27,000 plus) could circulate the info.

Come on Wayside! Say YES!

Last I heard from Bev, there are some strong leads--I have my name in if Lolly is desperate (so there would be a shipper going towards Wisconsin, Wayside...) as the BO assures me we have more than enough hay for the winter, but it does sound like there are offers being sifted through.

If I could get help with shipping I would take the gray mare, Smooth Slew, in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Last I heard from Bev, there are some strong leads--I have my name in if Lolly is desperate (so there would be a shipper going towards Wisconsin, Wayside...) as the BO assures me we have more than enough hay for the winter, but it does sound like there are offers being sifted through.
    That would make things easier if there were someone headed this way. The last time I had horses shipped from MD to WI it was actually somewhat difficult to find someone who would go that route. Granted, that was 10+ years ago, but a lot of them told me that they wouldn't go that far North in the middle of the country - preferred to head through Kentucky and Tennessee.

Maybe I should call and do the same thing - get some more info and maybe put my name in as a "in case no one else comes forward".

ETA: And Derby Lyn Farms in Michigan seemed interested in Smooth Slew in the breeding forum, but was also concerned about shipping. Maybe having a group coming through the area would make this doable for all of us.
    Last edited by Wayside; Jan. 14, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: ETA
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Bev has adopted several horses to WI and can certainly arrange timely shipping if a person in WI was truly interested. Bev has alot of connections and has arranged many a smooth trip.