The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Mid-Atlantic Horse Rescue: TB mares need homes by 1/31 or will be euth'd - MD

Mid-Atlantic Horse Rescue is assisting in the urgent placement of several TB broodmares in Westminster, MD.

Please do NOT contact me, I'm not involved in any way, just crossposting. Contact info is at the link.

You TB pedigree geeks *really* might want to investigate Go Rose. That's a sport horse pedigree we will NOT be seeing again in our lifetime!

UPDATE: Bev from Mid-Atlantic was kind enough to update me. The listing on the page at the link is current in terms of placements. These lovely mares will be euthanized on 1/31 if homes are not found.

I asked specifically about Go Rose, the mare w/ the phenomenal pedigree. She is sound, still available, and has never been bred. I'm not a breeder so I did not inquire whether they are placing breeding restrictions on her. I'd give anything to take her but I'm on a strictly one-horse budget!
    Last edited by War Admiral; Jan. 6, 2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Update
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

bump
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

bump

Bump - and if anybody can help w/ transport, I think I've found a none-better home for Go Rose with a COTHer in Nashville. She's e-mailing Bev now but knows her truck won't make it to MD - so if you happen to be coming south any time soon, please holla back!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

What is phenomenal about her pedigree? I got my horse from the same farm and they share the same sire. His registered name is Yoh Zachary.

Go Rose looks/is built allmost exactly like him except he has a blaze. Anyone can see the pics I posted of his before and after photos to see what she could turn into. He is even in better shape now.

I really wish I could take Sweet Lil Lolly!

Sweet Lil Lolly has the second best sport pedigree of the lot IMO.

Shrpshooter I assume you've now seen Vineyridge's excellent redux of Go Rose's pedigree on SHB. They DO. NOT. MAKE. horses like that any more. EVERY major sport horse line is in that mare, and old blood close up too! Granted, you don't put a saddle on a pedigree, but this mare is WAY too nice to be euth'd. I loff your horse BTW. I'm always fascinated how those Ribot line horses are so similar. Once you've owned one, you can spot 'em in a crowd for the rest of your life.

I like Sweet Lil Lolly also! If she's sound she looks like a good riding prospect. I also like Starduster. A couple of these mares have decent race records (above the national average).

I cross posted on pedigree query.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Shrpshooter - WOW, just took a look at your boy's pedigree, and he's got a whole lotta special too!! In fact - as a matter of personal preference ONLY, I kinda prefer yours b/c you have several crosses there to Ribot, Turn-To and Tom Rolfe. Pretty similar to the late HRH Avery (best. TB. ever. ). You're a lucky young lady!!!

I am eyeballing Sweet Lil Lolly and Way Easy...someone save me from myself (especially as I am NOT interesting in sport breeding, only potential for racing babies, and both would cross pretty darn well on my favorite daydreaming stallion, Fort Prado. [insert gripe about flash-in-the-pan colts getting huge stud fees in primo states while an iron horse stakes winner who raced and won until eight is standing for pennies in Illinois because he's mostly a grass horse from state-stakes company...] At very least I'd probably get a decent fox-hunter out of either of those crosses...)

However if there's anyone seriously considering getting one of the last mares and would be shipping them to/through the upper midwest...PM me?

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I am eyeballing Sweet Lil Lolly and Way Easy...someone save me from myself (especially as I am NOT interesting in sport breeding, only potential for racing babies, and both would cross pretty darn well on my favorite daydreaming stallion, Fort Prado. [insert gripe about flash-in-the-pan colts getting huge stud fees in primo states while an iron horse stakes winner who raced and won until eight is standing for pennies in Illinois because he's mostly a grass horse from state-stakes company...] At very least I'd probably get a decent fox-hunter out of either of those crosses...)

However if there's anyone seriously considering getting one of the last mares and would be shipping them to/through the upper midwest...PM me?
    C'mon do it! I like Fort Prado too! My race mare was an El Prado granddaughter.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I like Way Easy too. And then I looked at her pedigree and there it was, the same pedigree I always choose, Alydar and Storm Cat and this time in one horse (just like the last horse I bought!). Do you think my barn would implode if I had three horses with Alydar breeding pretty close and two of those had Storm Cat close?

Just a bump and heads up that we moved this thread to Giveaways where it's a better fit.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    I like Way Easy too. And then I looked at her pedigree and there it was, the same pedigree I always choose, Alydar and Storm Cat and this time in one horse (just like the last horse I bought!). Do you think my barn would implode if I had three horses with Alydar breeding pretty close and two of those had Storm Cat close?
    No, I think you'd have a matched set!

War Admiral you have been misinformed. Go Rose has a 2010 filly named My Mentor Ann by Lion Hearted. Sweet Lil Lolly has 2 foals. She had a filly in 2010 named Charlotte's Girl by Westwon. Way Easy has never had a foal. Starduster had 1 foal in 2007. Smooth Slew has had 3 foals.

War Admiral, thanks for taking the time to look at Yoh Zachary's pedigree and giving feedback. I really appreciate it!

Thanks to all for spreading the word. Bradleys Prospect, the colt, and Go Rose have all found great homes. That leaves Sweet Lil Lolly, Starduster, Smooth Slew, and Way Easy. Lots of calls and some possible good homes but nothing set.....
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

I visited and photographed these mares on Thursday. More photos here: http://rockandracehorses.wordpress.c...c-horse-rescue
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I gather these mares have not been ridden since their racing days, but are they sound for retraining as riding horses?

I know that Starduster has a lot of Raise a Native which people don't like for soundness, but I really like her conformation for eventing, and I do like Alydar. We just are full, but I hope someone takes a chance on her.