The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fashion Advice, please

Dressage rider here. Need some fashion advice for crossing over into some schooling hunter shows.

Dark-ish chestnut horse and other horse is a more regular chestnut (neither is a bright orange type of chestnut. More brown than orange.)

Navy jacket or Charcoal grey? (I really like the charcoal grey but would be fine with either. Found a good deal on a closeout Wellington show coat.) Trainer said either is fine.

If I get a charcoal grey jacket, what color shirt? (I already have a light blue and an aqua shirt that should go fine with the navy jacket.)

If I get a charcoal grey jacket what color helmet? (I have a black Charles Owen AYR8 and a brown Charles Owens GR8.)

Thanks!
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

White shirts and black helmets are always classic and perfect for any color horse

If you are doing equitation, the rule of thumb is as classic and close to formal attire as possible - navy jacket, white shirt, black helmet.

If you are doing hunters, you have more flexibility and charcoal grey is more than appropriate. That said, if you are only doing schooling shows, also, I would think charcoal grey is just fine for whatever.

The light blue or aqua will probably go fine with charcoal grey. So will a number of other colors.

The rule of thumb is pretty much "if it clashes hideously, or if it is on any level neon, don't wear it."
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Ponymom is right. I love grey coats, but navy is always correct too. Leave the aqua shirt in the closet.

A LIGHT aqua (not even close to neon - just a tad different than the light blue) shirt is not appropriate for schooling shows? I just got it on sale from smartpak so guess I can exchange it. It is a pastel Essex shirt so I thought it would be okay for schooling shows. I don't recall seeing too many white shirts at the schoolng shows so thought it would be fun to wear something other than white (since that is all we are allowed to wear in dressage.). But I can do white and I guess that makes it simple enough.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

A pale aqua or any other pale pastel is perfectly fine for a schooling show. I see them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    A LIGHT aqua (not even close to neon - just a tad different than the light blue) shirt is not appropriate for schooling shows? I just got it on sale from smartpak so guess I can exchange it. It is a pastel Essex shirt so I thought it would be okay for schooling shows. I don't recall seeing too many white shirts at the schoolng shows so thought it would be fun to wear something other than white (since that is all we are allowed to wear in dressage.). But I can do white and I guess that makes it simple enough.
    A very pale color is acceptable, but my personal preference has always been very light blue or white. Colors are, IMO, more appropriate for the pony ring, but as I said that is my preference and I'm not a traditionalist by any means

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

You will see a variety of colors in the hunter ring, including colors that are less than subtle. In the equitation, it is more common to see more conservative choices (navy coat, white shirt) but even there, you will see some paler shirts, particularly if the rider is also showing in the hunters.

A pale aqua is perfectly fine and would likely look quite nice under either a charcoal or a navy coat.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I am just very conservative and don't like aqua, unless it is very pale. I know lots of people wear it though.

It seems like people have answered but you already made up your mind.

I wear the same attire for a schooling show as I do for a rated show.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

And I'm mostly an eventer now, but I think light aqua and grey is a lovely combo for a chestnut. But I'd listen to the others, especially Lucassb.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.