The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advice on Horse Selling...

So I need some help from other horse people..

I have my mare listed on dreamhorse, equinenow, craigslist, and NW ponyclub with decent photos but absolutely no interest at all. My friend has told the local pony club about her, and my instructor has told another pony club about her. I had her evaluated by two different local jumping instructor who both liked her but there have been no further leads from them. I am trying to sell because I like dressage, a lot, but she does not and I grow weary of trying to fit that square peg in a round hole. She would rather jump and jump and jump.

What else can/should I do? I hope this is vague enough not to get in trouble. If you need more information, feel free to PM me and I can fill in any details.

It's a tough market out there. Is she fairly priced? If at all possible, see if you could network some more... I think especially in this market, that goes a lot further than online listings. Bigeq.com is a great one, though it is aimed at the more expensive h/j crowd.... definitely not under 10k. Hard to give more advice without knowing more specifics. Feel free to pm me her ad if you want a friendly review... a second pair of eyes never hurts :-)

Does she have a very good online video that's linked to from her ad?

Do you take her to shows with a flyer and talk her up there?

Have you posted flyers at local tack shops etc.?

Just a tough time of year, frankly, to be selling!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Jack up the price?

I did that and got a few more inquiries, though still no sales. I'd price lower with the intention of hopefully being able to be more selective about where he went - but I guess it was a red flag for some buyers.

As vxf mentioned, video and video and more video. And current pictures of a fit, shiny, nice horse. No winter woolies caked in mud.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Assuming your horse is in a lower price range the 1-10K range, I find that having some ribbons and video, even from local shows, in the discipline which you are selling the horse in is extremely helpful. It puts your horse a notch above the many not-so-young "prospects" out there. Even a modest show record proves that your horse is a reasonably sound, serviceable, and mentally stable beast that can actually go do a new place and do his job in a nice manner. Lower end horses have to be junior or ammie friendly, so be sure to emphasize those qualities if they are present in your ad.

No offense but is your ad well worded? Do you use language that indicated you know what you are doing? I have spent a lot of time looking at ads for people and I often do no pass along those that have 1 picture of the horse looking ok, and the ad that talks about nothing that tells me about the horses actual abilities. Now a good video can help with that if I like the horse. Ones I have been looking for I looked for key words in the ad, quiet, has changes, good jump, easy, fun etc. Turned off by ads that says needs advanced rider, or didn't use correct terminology or had lots of !!!!!!. Ads I look at have a good jumping picture, a conformation shot and then a short video, short w/t/c both ways, a then a short course, if your horse has changes show them. Make it a decent video too, I have seen a ton where they put a young rider on to show the quiet but then I can't actually see what the horse CAN do besides take care of a young kid (and I mean a horse that is jumping 2'6"+ is being ridden by a x-rail kid) makes it hard to see how they do when jumping a real course.

Does the horse match your username? Some types have a wider market than others. Those with more limited markets take a lot longer to sell.

^^^lol!

^^^^

My first impression was that she might be priced too high. It's a really weak market right now, especially for the $5K-$20K market. Did you ask the trainers what they thought she should go for?

If all else fails, send her to a different market. Right now everyone is in Florida (or California). Send her to a trainer/sale barn near one of the big circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    Does the horse match your username? Some types have a wider market than others. Those with more limited markets take a lot longer to sell.
    A bit, well, yes....

We market horses and actually find that sales are very good right now in the lower price range and have people contacting me wanting more horses. So that tells me there is something about this particular horse, or the ad, that makes it "unattractive". Have someone knowledgeable take a good look at your ads, photos/videos etc and give you an honest opinion.

Where are you located? There is a group on Facebook I believe out of California where trainers list what type of horse they are looking for and those with a horse that meets the criteria, respond with information about the horse. Many trainers were looking for lower price horses. The group is named "Wanted: Horses and Ponies. No Sales ads Please!" and I believe it was started by Lauren Vogel of Vogel Equine. Even though it is mostly California, there have been others who have posted from other parts of the country. Facebook is a great resource. I believe this is the link to the group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/236782569684562/?ref=ts

Thank you for the responses and suggestions.

I had a couple local instructors look at her to give me a suggested price to list her at, and honestly, I thought there price suggestions were high!

I have had other people read my ad and incorporated their suggestions into the wording. Based on suggestions though, I need to get better pictures and videos.

Along with the Facebook theme...you can try creating an event for her sale. Post some pics, contact info, etc. Then you invite all of your horse-y friends and ask them to invite their horsey contacts. And before you know it you have a couple hundred people invited. It is a GREAT way to market a horse and get some word of mouth going. I got quite a few prospects from my FB event I used this past summer.

Good Luck!

A hot mare is going to be a tough sell unless she has a solid show record. People do not buy hot horses, they get given them, and they end up with them, but in general, they do not buy them.
    You may have to pay the professional to show her a couple of times jumping to see what you really have.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Have you considered a trade for a Dressage type??

Market is excellant right now for the $5K-10K....do you have incentives like baseline x-rays???