The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Still jingling, hoping, praying for Andy. And STILL amazed by the love and devotion Andy's team has for him. ANDY GO HOME ANDY GO HOME ANDY GO HOME
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

from the FB page it looks like things are looking up and there are quite a few sightings!

I heard the tail end of an item on the CBC Radio program called 'As It Happens' this evening. The program is based out of Toronto, Canada and regularly picks up items from across the globe that have human (animal) interest.

Andy, your story has made it Canada, you are a celebrity - Time to Go Home.

As usual, just offering my best vibes for a safe homecoming for Andy.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

According to the CBC interrview, they have narrowed it down to a 3 mile loop.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I'm still amazed at how resourceful Andy has been. He's been fending for himself for three months! And in the winter!

I've never owned a corgi, but I've known quite a few, and Andy's feat is impressive in my book.

Andy, come home!

I'm sure we would hear if there was one, but I am hoping for an update. I hope it isn't cruel to suggest this, but couldn't the little feller be tranqued? If he can be seen? I wouldn't put anything in the food he is attracted to because it would take a long time for hime to become sleepy and he could run off and hide well, but is a dart gun type of tranq a possibility?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

AR, the tranq gun idea was suggested on his Facebook page, but was eliminated as too risky in the circumstances.

Big update on the Facebook page, his owner drove by and saw him between two houses! by the time they turned the car around he had gone. So close!!!!

^ Oh, man! Andy, come on!

OH MAN! Jingles from NC. C'mon Andy!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

"Safety is sexy" - Jimmy Fallon
    #mindyourmelon

* Jinglejinglejinglejinglejingle *

wow .... that must have been a great feeling, to actually see him, and then such a let down when he was gone.
    Getting closer everyday.
    Hopefully today will be the day.

Considering that Andy has been out of human contact for so long and has changed to a "wild" mentality as the experts say happens to runaways, what happens when Andy is returned to his owners? Will he revert back to his domesticated personality, or will he require serious rehab to once again trust and feel safe around humans, and not runaway again?
    I'm very curious, as they haven't said much about what happens WHEN he comes home! (Though it is taking a long time, I have nothing but faith that they will finally outsmart that devious little guy)

Dogs who are skittish are fine once they get home. Some dogs by nature are not trusting of people other than their owners. These dogs are the ones that become very shy when lost. They don't revert to "feral" as much as just being scared to death of everything. The friendly, outgoing dog is the one who will attach himself to other dogs if he is lost......and is much easier to catch and bring home than the shy, distrustful dog. And remember, people run dogs off, throw things at them, and generally make them more skittish than they were before being lost.

Next time owner sees him, don't turn around! Stop in the middle of the road, jump out, and kneel down on the ground between the houses and call Andy! The cops won't ticket you for doing this. Oh, take your keys with you though, or someone will steal your car. Owner may want to sleep in her car overnight in that area where she saw Andy.

What c&c said about re-domestication. But, the experts have also said that the animal now has a new wild habit, and must be controlled to make sure they don't scoot off again.

I think this story has been enormously educational in helping me, at least, understand how much of any dog's behavior is not conscious decision-making (any animal, really.) As cute and full of personality as they are, they live in a world of instinct, habit and expectation. As Andy has shown, they make few real decisions. Their behavior is mostly in the context of that here-and-now brain, and the most recent memory.

I think when the fireworks scared Andy, his instinctive brain must have sprung to a place where his old life and home were blown up with the big noise. A noise like that surely meant there was nothing left to go back to. From that point, nature didn't provide him with the mental capacity to think this over and reason out the possibilities. He just went into a new instinctive survival mode, and the past receded beyond his frame of immediate recall. That's how I understand it.

I would not be surprise if, immediately after capture, he either recognizes Michael (& Jordina if she can be there) and greets him with doggy enthusiasm; or if he doesn't respond right away ... I'm sure either is a possibility. And his owners are prepared.

Hoping it isn't long now. Understanding anything could happen, though.

Does anyone else feel like this would make a great children's book?

All it needs is a happy ending!
    I'm comin', Elizabeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Sancudo View Post
    Big update on the Facebook page, his owner drove by and saw him between two houses! by the time they turned the car around he had gone. So close!!!!
    OH, this is too much!

I agree about the idea aobut jumping out and squatting down and calling him calm and low, good dog, come, good dog, over and over, come good dog. I have had much much success getting a dog who is very reluctant to come with this body language and voice. Very low, very calm, but very direct - come good dog. Getting low down, one hand resting at the ground beside me, not reaching out for the dog. Waiting, waiting for the dog to come and not going after them.

Oh, I hope he gets found soon, soon, soon.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

My fearful dog "ran away" for 12 days.. i had seen her once and called to her and even had my parent's dogs with me, who she loves. She still ran away from us because she had reverted to the "stray" mentailty she had while living on the streets for the first 5-6 month of life. She came home on her own two weeks later and although she was very hungry, people remarked that she was a "changed" dog (for the better). Obviously, not the same situation as Andy, but i can say it is nice to see for yourself they are still around with your own eyes!

Cool WONDERFUL DEVELOPMENT !!!! AO AO AO !!!!!

WONDERFUL DEVELOPMENT

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ```

ANDY 'WE' CAN HARDLY WAIT TO READ AND SEE THE 'REUNION' ```
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"