The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thumbs up Eggs!!! mmmmmm!!

One Gray Pony! Me!! Me loves eggs! I eat many a day! I make one mean batcha egg salad too! Me!! Bring! Me!!
    (WG waves her arm so fast that she loses her balance and falls off her horse in embarassment!! It's all about the food with her!! Whilst laying there she begins to laugh and remember there are 3 dinners(plus a breakfast!) this weekend and she will surely NOT starve to death. WG thanks gawd for this.....)
    Carry on!!
    (WG remembers her chickens fondly and how much she enjoyed their eggs!)

Of course! You are now on the "egg list" and will be subjected to some of the finest pastured eggs this side of the Mississippi. Bright huge fat yolks....from completely fat huge bright hens! Just completed my daily egg hunt and found a dozen more...

Do try to stay topside, please dear wateryglen, when you take the egg carton...I would hate to see a dozen or more (if you want 'em) oval-y packages of goodness splattered in your finest. I would feel most awful to be the cause!

Please may I have some, too? (Pushing Wateryglen's body out of the way. Wren's teeth flashing, as she intimidates WG's horse to clear the way to the egg basket) Polo has nothing on coth's Hunting Princesses!
    We are serious about food!
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Most definitely, whicker! You may absolutely also have some!

I can perhaps accommodate 2 or so more egg-desirers beyond yourself, wateryglen and one other gal that doesn't post but will be joining us!

If there are any left, I'd also be more than willing to take eggs off your hands.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

You've got it, Janet!!

I'll take any leftover eggs. It's deviled egg season!
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Eggs? You people want eggs?

I'll bring some on Sunday. My hens are going gangbusters and my beagle has taught the Basset puppy how to raid the nests.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Between your eggs and my eggs we'll have people well supplied...and heck, maybe you'll have continued egg clients ;-)

Our dogs, luckily, have not bothered the nests. I do remember when I was a kid my dog did, and my father "beat her" by cracking an egg on her head and then laughing at her. She never bothered the nests after that (though she was the type of dog that got her feelings hurt easily).

This year is CRAZY for the hens. I would have thought that at 2 they would have been slowing down but this must be their peak year, or the early spring is making the bugs go wild. I'm finding eggs everywhere. We usually lose them in the summer to our black rat snake population.

I'm so looking forward to seeing everyone!

Talking Weather update!

Looks like sat & sunday weather now includes chances of rain both days so bring yer raingear! Remember that scenting only improves with moister conditions so be warned! It's been dry here so we'll see.
    Fingers crossed we get our hunts in! Sat rain supposed to be in later afternoon so......
    It's gonna be just like England or Ireland round here princesses!!

I've told the masters that I am all over swapping to Sunday for our hunting day from here if we get rained out.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I don't have raingear that looks anything like traditional hunt gear, just an LL Bean coat....but I won't melt in the rain.
    Will the hunt cancel for thunderstorms? If not, I think I want to ride the shortest horse

Hinderella,
    You don't want to even think about hunting here, along the river in a thunderstorm. The lightening in the mountains is worse along the rivers. It's dicey on the mountains, too. Not to mention, that the foxes have too much sense to be out in that kind of weather.

Now gather around, I'll light a candle for light, since we lost electricity, and tell you scary stories of storms in our part of the world. Sir Bradley will bang on the drum and cymbals to get you in the mood. Then there are the tornadoes, Bwaaa-haa-haa!
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Looks like we are getting two inches of rain Saturday and Sunday. If its that wet on Sunday Ashland may cancel as landowners don't want vehicles trashing their hayfields.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Red face Oh good grief!!

Geeez, well now I'm all cheered up
    Good news.....the parties don't cancel and the point to points tend to go in the rain.
    Fingers crossed. The weather guys are calling the weekend "unsettled" with chance of showers/storms. Not a total washout. I'm thinking afternoon thunderstorms. We can get inches in minutes when it does that "gully washing" thing!
    And sometimes the foot hunt parks in a different place at a meet to accomodate parking needs where 4wd would be needed in an open field otherwise so don't worry. Rain "before" isn't a problem otherwise. We've hunted in sprinkles. It would have to be bad for Ashland to cancel it's closing meet IMHO!!
    Now, a downpour? deal breaker!!
    floods? yup! and tornadoes?!!?!! oh good grief!!! Bring yer windproof AND waterproof clothes I guess!! and avoid the gullys!

Well, I'm still bummed that we can't join the fun but not as bummed as I was, lol! I have had a few knee surgeries over the last year and might be okay at a walk but that's it and bassetting with the on-foot long walk would be completely out.

By next fall, though.......Come Heck or High Water we will be finding a way to join the fun!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

It sounds like we should prepare to be sheltered inside...which calls for more food and wine!

So Wateryglen, dinner at your house willnow include some hand-wringing and the no- rain dance by the princesses?

Thumbs up Update! It has begun!

So the kick off to the Coth Hunting Princess weeked began last night with dinner at Wateryglen Farm! Sheeesh! It was like a plague of locusts came and devoured all the food!!. Holy Crap! Half a burnt ham! (ably carved by Mr. Hinderella who's quite handy in the kitchen I might add!) 5 bottles of wine! 12 for dinner! (2 hubbys and a BF braved the horsie talk also!) Welcome to our princesses from way out yonder! Ones from Iowa, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Maryland and elsewhere in ole Virginny! So glad they came!! We toasted to good weather of course. Weather 80's here so we got some quality time out on the porch whilst dodging stink bugs who welcomed the guests along with the basset in her pink bunny collar!
    Trailride this morning....dinner at Hunters Rest tonight. Beef brisket prepared by Mr. Hinderella and supplied by JSwans farm!!!
    Stay tuned for more!
    Fingers crossed the weather forecast for rain here is a total bust!!

Hope you all are having fun! I'm trying to figure out how to ship my boy up in the fall for a weekend of merriment. (I'm quite convinced it wouldn't be the same without him.)
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg