The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dear Kitten......

Dear Kitten,

I love you so....but can I ask why you do some of these odd, and although funny, annoying things.

First of all, why must you leave a drowned mouse toy in every water bowl? Then jump on my lap and plop the wet slimy thing in my lap?

Secondly, when my alarm goes off at 515 it really is not an invitation for you to jump my bones and try to dry nurse on my collar. And do I really need to use the Jaws of Life to pry you off my collar?

Thirdly, while I know you love to play fetch, I don't make a good fetch partner after bedtime, so there is no need to bring your mouse to bed.

Fourthly, when I'm cleaning the litter box, that is not your cue to come jump in the middle of the litter box and pee.

Fifthly, when we throw tissue away, it is trash....you do not need to retrieve it back out for us.

And we have water bowls for drinking, you really do not need to drink from the toliet, I promise.

And lastly, curtain rods do not hold your weight, please stop playing "DON'T TOUCH THE FLOOR" on my curtain rods.

Sincerely,
    Owner.

Too funny!

Whenever I have a new kitten in the house I tie up all the curtains so none of them reach the floor.

And if a Christmas tree is up I have a hook in the ceiling that I tie it to.

Kittens are such fun . . . .
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Mine doesn't drop mice into water bowls, but rather tears off leaves of the hanging ivy plant over head and drops THEM into the water bowls.

They also have this thing against Santa. We have various stuffed Santas around the house this time of year, including on the tree. One day Mr. Eventer_MI and I came out of the bedroom to find a row (yes, a row) of stuffed Santas (ornaments, some decorations) at the foot of the tree. No other ornaments, just Santas. They didn't touch the snowmen and other attractive hangy-thingies. The next morning, same thing. What is it about Santa?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Some don't outgrow it... I still find my hair rubberbands in the water bowl. Just them, at the bottom, drowned.... with Snickers standing next to the bowl howling at me to get it out for her.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I laugh cause I have been there. Don't worry, they don't grow out of it.

My cats are each unique and have their own annoying, yet cute habits!

My one cat every night brings her toys into the bedroom one by one and howling the whole time...thats fun. I also sometimes wake up with one in bed with me!

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Thirdly, while I know you love to play fetch, I don't make a good fetch partner after bedtime, so there is no need to bring your mouse to bed.
    My Siamese did this as a kitten until she learned that I would confiscate the mousie and put it under my pillow. She would sit there and brrrr and eee? and mutter at me that I was no fun.

She would get it back in the morning. Now she leaves them at the foot of my bed, and sometimes she'll make a whole pile! She's just trying to make sure I eat.

Hahaha - kittens are so much fun! I miss the antics of mine but I do sleep better now.

When Snickers was little she'd bring her toys to bed too. I woke up one night to find her laying right beside me, belly up, batting a crinkle ball up in the air with all four paws. lol

They do still help with making the bed, so I still get a little taste of the kitten crazies.

When Snickers and Jellybean were about 4 months old I went out of town for a week and a friend came over to take care of them. She doesn't see well without her glasses but doesn't wear them all the time, so one day she said she was in the kitchen and they were in the living room going crazy.

One would pull on something and the other would go flying, then they'd rade places. She went over there to see what they were doing and they had gotten one of my bras out of the laundry basket and were playing tug of war with it! lol

I

Could be worse.
    I had a very proper British friend who woke up one morning to find a shrew in her hair.
    Another time, there was a shrew clinging to her lip.
    Neither was dead.
    Shirley was Not. Amused.

We just have barn kitties, so the dachshund girls bring us smashed mouses. Lovely.

Ewwwww - I would die if there was a shrew hanging on my lip when I woke up!!!!!!

Life is never boring with pets around, that's for sure

Oh my naughty little Pusskin... She is another that loves to bring her toys into the bed at night for me to throw down the hall. She has had this one catnip mouse for years that she loves. A couple of years ago it went missing. Then in the middle of the night, i felt her drop it on my chest. I was happy for her that she found it so i went to throw it. When i picked it up, it didnt feel quite right; i threw it and saw as the moonlight was coming through my window the huge roach flying out of my hand. She flew off of the bed and pounced on it. I can still hear her crunching it as i am trying to fall asleep sometimes. I HATE roaches/palmetto bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Some don't outgrow it... I still find my hair rubberbands in the water bowl. Just them, at the bottom, drowned.... with Snickers standing next to the bowl howling at me to get it out for her.
    What is it about those hair rubberbands? I finally made sure that I put them in a bathroom drawer so that they wouldn't go missing. Buddy, aka Spud, figured out how to open the drawer.

Here's the little stinker as a kitten:
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ters/Buddy.jpg
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

We wound up with four of them at one time due to a little timing error, and then when they were about eight weeks old I had to make an emergency trip across country, and my DD followed two weeks later to stay for two weeks - altogether I was gone a month.

So those kittens terrorized my poor DH. I came home to a house in even worse disarray than usual when I leave him on his own. I guess they all slept with him, and if he tried to throw them out they spent all night climbing on the screen and crying, so the screen had gotten frisbeed out into the pasture at o dark thirty one night, hopefully without kittens hanging all over it, they were all still in one piece when I got home. I had to put up a couple of sets of curtains, sweep up broken glass, of course clean out litter boxes.
    And now they are close to a year old and they still do races around the house. Gotta love 'em.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Dear Hooman,

I AM KITTEN! HEAR ME RAWR!1!! You are not da boss of me!!

Luv,
    Yur Kitten

P.S. Yur not my real mom!

(I love kittens. I have two of them, named Havoc and Calamity. They're tiny predator sociopathic schizophrenics with claws that we let sleep on our heads.)
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Dear Kitten,
    Fourthly, when I'm cleaning the litter box, that is not your cue to come jump in the middle of the litter box and pee.
    Can't blame him too much - I hate going into a dirty bathroom, too! My cat (who's very handsome, but not the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree - his nickname is Zoolander) feels that a clean box is the perfect invitation to hop in, too! (And since I've already fought the "I couldn't possibly pee in the box, how about the floor next to it, or maybe over here in front of the door" battle with him (and won, thankfully), peeing in the box is something I'm very grateful for!

And Kitten is probably just being helpful:
    "OOOoo - the Lady's playin' in da box - I go help!"
    "OoooOOHH - now I'M in da box! Gotta pee!"

Love it! My contribution to overgrown kitten stories - I can't keep my toothbrush in it's normal hanger by the sink - it just travels all over the house, sigh. I have to hide it in the cabinet now. This is a 6 yo "kitten" who only recently discovered the joys of carrying my toothbrush around. Hoping its just a phase.

Oh and when I had kittens, I once woke up to a gigantic green praying mantis on the pillow staring at me, with two very proud kittens standing guard on either side. He was still alive and his expression said "I don't want to be here anymore than you want me here!" so I overcame my ugh response & gently released him outside. That one was memorable!

I simply must share "Jingle Ball." I wrote this several Christmases ago when I had among my felines a kitten and an overgrown kitten. BTW, "that spoilsport Meezer cat" is HRH Rosalind, her imperial majesty, who agrees with me that beds are for sleeping and who agrees with Queen Victoria that regardless of what is happening, we are not amused.

Anyway, Jingle Ball:

Dashing round the bed, at 2:00 and 3:00 a.m.,
    Out and down the hall, romping back again.
    Bells in toys all ring, making spirits bright,
    Oh what fun it is to chase this wondrous toy all night.

Oh, jingle ball, jingle ball, what an awesome toy!
    All around the house it rings, expressing feline joy!

An hour or two ago, we had all gone to bed,
    But that was boring, so we're chasing toys instead.
    Deb doesn't seem to know, the fun we're having here.
    She just tells us to knock it off and sleep sometime this year.

Since she won't join the game, we'll let her see the fun,
    So on the bed we swarm, with toys for everyone.
    One bell rolled underneath that spoilsport Meezer cat,
    She growled and arched and slapped at us, and we just had to scat.

Default Wow check that pic out!

Quote Originally Posted by rosijet View Post
    Here's the little stinker as a kitten:
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ters/Buddy.jpg
    this photo

The timing of the photographer...perfect! Felines really are amazing, spastic, insanely fun creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    this photo

The timing of the photographer...perfect! Felines really are amazing, spastic, insanely fun creatures.
    Isn't it hilarious? Wish I could take credit but Buddy lived for awhile with someone else and she has the great camera skills. He still does this move on a regular basis.
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

Our cat brings thigs in live & usually puts them in the bathtub to play with for a while. But not always . . . I was reading on the bed one day & he was playing next to me & kept diving at my shoulder. Finally some funny little squeaks registered in my brain & I rolled up off that shoulder, looked over & found myself face-to-face with a very live gopher. Felix nabbed it & headed to the bathroom. Then there was the time one of the dogs caught a squirrel in the hall . .