The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What You Wanted vs. What You Got copycat thread

The thread in Dressage has perfect timing! With fluffbutt’s 8th bday days away and my body and back screaming from classes three nights in a row, I have really been thinking about our potential as an agility team.

I wanted: 2-3yo female Pap. Brave, playful, toy-driven, well-socialized to people, dogs, and show environment: no aggression. Goal to qualify in AKC ob and agility in a year while providing lively companionship to old man mutt. My very first purpose-bought, purebred dog.

I got: 7yo male Pap. Timid, submissive, toy-hoarder who alternated freezing or melting when touched, snapped at my dog during their neutral location meeting; trembled and refused food in new environments . Treated/trained him like a foster.

Today: he’s almost 8yo. Am tearfully realizing he may never meet my goals due to temperament, age, and my many shortcomings. May be happier as a pet on a pillow. Where that leaves my budding hobby-to-replace-horses, I don’t know.

Those in dog sports: did you buy? adopt? puppy? adult? Expectations? Reality?

Man, I have a tough one of these.

What I wanted (or expected, really): Duplicate to my older Ridgeback. She'd been challenging as a puppy, but once she hit a year old she really grew up and was a model dog. Smart but not too smart, quiet, loyal, laid back in the house but ready to go whenever I was...

Now, I realize expecting a duplicate was a tad silly, but it wasn't TOTALLY out there--new baby Ridgeback was 3/4 sibling to older Ridgeback, from a super established kennel that has a pretty fixed type.

What I got: Hell on wheels dog. NOT really smart at all, or just didn't care to learn. Barker. Difficult. Challenged authority left and right. High, high, high energy all the time. I stuck with her, even though I did not really like her much for first three years or so. She was just SUCH a challenge.

Today: She's seven now and is a really nice grown up dog. We've dabbled with some agility classes, and she shines there. She's gone traveling with me, and is perfect in public. She goes to work with me a few times a month and get complimented on her behavior. She's still high energy, but she keeps it outside, for the most part, either in the backyard or when we run. She still barks, but just once or twice and I can live with that. It took me awhile to get there, but she's a really special, wonderful dog all on her own--just really different than my older Ridgeback.

We've got a new baby Ridgeback coming in the spring--closely related to the others--and I am going to work VERY hard to leave ALL expectations at the door! I have asked for a show quality bitch, so I do hope that she enjoys the show ring and does well there.

And on the other hand, I took in a puppy solely because she was cute and really needed a home, with NO expectations (well, actually, kind of expected she'd be a cute couch potato and that's it), and it looks like she may be a real agility star, pulled off a perfect weekend at her first agility trial. Or possibly a flyball star, took her to watch a practice and the Hound Who Cares Naught About Balls went nuts with excitement and just had to try it and put in a couple of awesome runs without any training whatsoever. Who could possibly have guessed?

My beloved blue heeler was getting older and wasnt long for this world. I found myself one day looking thru petfinder and came across Kate's brother..called the shelter, went out the next day..he was adopted, but Kate was still available. I picked her because she was the most calm of her litter.

I was hoping for a tough dog to work cows with and evetually do agility with.

that was about 3 years ago. Kate likes working sheep..but isnt very brave working cattle. She likes agility, but still had a huge meltdown at her first trial.

I struggled for awhile finding her "niche"..until I taught her to paint..THIS is what SHE does..
    www.paintedpaw.weebly.com
    http://paintedpaw.weebly.com/uploads...493320.jpg?175

I have always taken the thought process, with horses, if they don't fit what I need, I sell them..dogs, to me, arent like that. Kate didnt work out exactly like I had hoped..but I do beleive God sends us what we need. Kate has taught me so much..even if she didnt "fit" what I was wanting.

Now Fletcher..He came along about a year 1/2 after I owned Kate..and he fit what I wanted to a T. Mysterious forces at work for sure.

I am not in dog sports but I had a bumpy road trying to get what I ordered (or, really, to figure out what I should have been ordering in the first place!).

I tried adopting an APBT mix after my beloved cattle dog—my dog-of-a-lifetime—died, and we kept him for two wonderful years until a tragic combination of temperament and health issues made him impossible to manage. We had him euthanized when he became severely aggressive towards elderly humans after consulting with multiple vets and trainers.

Then my neighbors offered me a cattle dog puppy. "Yay, perfect!", right? No. The pup had been raised inside a 5' diameter kiddie pool and had never been touched, as far as I could tell, or let out to see the world. He was terrified of everything and definitely wasn't going to survive emotionally in my bustling household full of active children and pets. He needed focused intervention, so I placed him with a trainer via COTH who is doing a great job training him for rally obedience! (he's "Benny" on page 5 of this newsletter: http://www.cernakkennels.com/CCC/Cer...mber%20Two.pdf)

I went back to the shelter, looking again for a purebred ACD, and got one who didn't reveal much character at our first meeting but who turned out to be a fear biter and very shy. Again, not a good choice for me given my active family and my lack of abundant time and patience. I placed her with yet another trainer who is doing disc dog competition with her now after a couple of years of rehab.

Finally, my husband put his foot down and said the next dog was going to be SMALL and a PUPPY. We went to the humane society last Christmas and ended up with a 10 month old chihuahua, of all things! It is not a breed I would ever have gone looking for on my own, but she is the BEST DOG EVER. I adore her. She is loyal, active, healthy, trainable, athletic, loving, clean, and just amazing in every single way. She goes on ambitious hikes and trail rides with me, and she's also a very laid back house dog who loves to sleep in and chill on the couch. She adores my children. I am 100% delighted with her in every single way. She's been with us for a year and two weeks now.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

First dog: wanted to do AKC obedience, bought a 2 year old working line GSD. The papers were invalid. I was new to dogs so didn't know about ILP.

Second dog: decided on a smaller breed that was still sturdy, Pem Corgi. Went to look at the last puppy available and fell in love. She taught me so much, wicked smart and got her CD in 4 shows (in spite of my poor handling)

Dogs 3/4: puppies from the only litter from the Corgi. Kept the male that I was sure would be a contender for the breed ring but I went in a different direction. Kept one girl, had good intentions of getting her into the ring but failed there also.

Dog 4: GSD was getting older and I wanted a replacement that would have a firm temperament but not so big. Started to look for a cattle dog, expecting to find one in a few years......4 months later ended up with a 5 month old blue bitch from Ch. parents. Remember that firm temperament? Not so much, she fluxuates between tough as nails and frantically needy. Not a good puppy raiser OR disciplinarian.

dog 5: friend had a bitch puppy from a litter of Corgis. Became somewhat desperate to sell her and contacted me. She turned out to be fearful of other dogs and aggressive. I tried to send her back but the breeder would not do it. *sigh*. Good thing my daughter loves her.

dog 6: puppy from the bitch of the corgi litter I bred. HE is finally what I'm looking for, a reflection of his grandmother....learns so quickly it's just scary, retains it all and wants nothing more than to work with me. Begs me to work.

Lost G'ma and male from that litter not long ago so am now down to 4 dogs, with the only good puppy raiser now 11. Debating on if I want to get a puppy this spring or wait another 3-5 years till I am down to one dog.

What I've found is that I like raising my own puppies from tiny babies. The dogs I've gotten from 5 mos and up have all arrived with baggage. Some of the issues would have been there no matter but others were from how they were raised.

What I wanted:
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo...ipyfo1_500.png
    HUGE, male, fawn Great Dane. Given up because he had a stupid owner who pushed him to the point of aggression.

What I got:
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...89504727_n.jpg
    Not so HUGE, female, black Great Dane. Not a mean bone in her body. Given up because her owner could no longer afford her. Trained to the hilt and as sweet as the day is long. A bit timid, but warms up to friends quickly.

Sometimes things don't work out for a reason.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

I went looking for a shaggy dog with a nice, loving personality. My only firm rule was that it shouldn't be a Border Collie or a BC mix, as I was a 20ish know-it-all and had read all the books and KNEW that a BC was the WRONG dog for me - too high energy, they need a job, if you adopt one and aren't prepared to run 10 miles every two hours to tire him out, it's cruel and insane and will NEVER work out.

New dog was a Border Collie mix. Worked out beautifully.

Went for a Rescue couch potato to play with our young Standard Poodle who is from a breeder. I was playing at agility with the well-bred dog, but I had no plans to run the younger dog.

Got a crooked legged puppy mill rescue Standard Poodle. He whined and cried when I took the first dog to agility, so he got to go too. Have not done trials yet, but my teacher says that the rescue dog must be a reincarnation of an agility dog. Smart, brave, and fast. Like I am running and puffing trying to keep up.

I wanted a German Shepherd. I got an Australian Shepherd x GSD cross, from the pound. Love him!!!

Ooooh this is fun, I'll play.

What I wanted:
    My entire life I wanted a well bred, highly trainable ACD or Border Collie. Since I was in elementary school, my mother promised she'd buy me a puppy when I graduated college, that was the deal.

What I got:
    http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4154/out2rt.jpg

This HW positive, bald dog who has become my heart, soul, and everything, and has worked diligently to never ever put a single toe out of line. She's my once-in-a-lifetime kid.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1863/christmas5v.jpg

What I wanted:
    A trainable, well bred, ACD or Border Collie :P Just because I had my heart dog didn't mean I had given up on my list for a future agility or flyball friend.

What I got:
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/...5fed185467.jpg

This kid, ACD/Aussie Shepherd mix from the shelter I was working at. Deafblind....a freak. Smart dude but will neeeever be the agility champ I always wanted. We love him dearly, I would not trade him for the world.

What I wanted:
    At this point, the shelter had changed me; I wanted what nobody wanted. My home was FOREVER sworn to be the home of the unadoptable, the bald, the ugly, the hairless, the old. My experience had been NOTHING but positive with my two other kids (and my prior rescue) so thats what I wanted forever and ever.

What I got:
    http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9238/77229033.jpg

This...creature that I found in a dumpster. Now that we've got his initial health issues cleared up he's a busy, rambunctious, clown. A horse made of muscle and stubborn smarts. Lewd, crude, farts, burps, barfs, an all around mess. And I swore I'd never have something highly adoptable again....

Now, all I WANT is some peace and quiet! No more dogs till somethin' dies.
    http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1662/dogsxo.jpg

Dog 1: What we wanted - a good pet. What we got - a purebred brittany puppy bred for hunting....we didn't even know what a brittany was. He was the best dog ever. So smart, so laid back, obedient to a fault. Sadly we never took full advantage of his hunting capacity, although he was the best squirrel hunter in the city park and would stay on point for 30 minutes straight if you let him. Ended up actually showing him in AKC conformation and met a great handler/breeder who finished his championship for us. He died just over a year ago...we miss him so much!

Dog 2: What we wanted - we didn't actually want another dog. What we got - a respected brittany breeder was looking to place her pick puppy with a pet/possible show/possible hunting family. We had about 5 days notice but decided the time was right due to some tough personal circumstances. He ended up being way over the breed standard (way over) and the breeder offered to take him back but he was "my baby" so of course we kept him. And he still is my big baby. But he's a quirky guy, to say the least...not very typical as far as the breed goes, but extremely loyal and devoted.

Dog 3: What we wanted - another brittany...a puppy...maybe to show, definitely a pet, hopefully to field trial. What we got - our good friend and local breeder just happened to have a fabulous litter just a few weeks from birth and still had a few puppies available when we asked her if she knew any litters being planned. We ended up choosing the one who seemed to have the least chance of being the conformation superstar, but loved his personality. He ended up being THE superstar of the litter, and I handled him for all his conformation shows and finished him this fall at 22 months. He's definitely special material and who knows how far we'll go with him. Definitely going to field trial him as well....and best of all - he is the goofiest, most loving, high energy and fantastic pet.

Quote Originally Posted by irkenequine View Post
    Ooooh this is fun, I'll play.

What I wanted:
    My entire life I wanted a well bred, highly trainable ACD or Border Collie. Since I was in elementary school, my mother promised she'd buy me a puppy when I graduated college, that was the deal.

What I got:
    http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4154/out2rt.jpg

This HW positive, bald dog who has become my heart, soul, and everything, and has worked diligently to never ever put a single toe out of line. She's my once-in-a-lifetime kid.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1863/christmas5v.jpg

What I wanted:
    A trainable, well bred, ACD or Border Collie :P Just because I had my heart dog didn't mean I had given up on my list for a future agility or flyball friend.

What I got:
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/...5fed185467.jpg

This kid, ACD/Aussie Shepherd mix from the shelter I was working at. Deafblind....a freak. Smart dude but will neeeever be the agility champ I always wanted. We love him dearly, I would not trade him for the world.

What I wanted:
    At this point, the shelter had changed me; I wanted what nobody wanted. My home was FOREVER sworn to be the home of the unadoptable, the bald, the ugly, the hairless, the old. My experience had been NOTHING but positive with my two other kids (and my prior rescue) so thats what I wanted forever and ever.

What I got:
    http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9238/77229033.jpg

This...creature that I found in a dumpster. Now that we've got his initial health issues cleared up he's a busy, rambunctious, clown. A horse made of muscle and stubborn smarts. Lewd, crude, farts, burps, barfs, an all around mess. And I swore I'd never have something highly adoptable again....

Now, all I WANT is some peace and quiet! No more dogs till somethin' dies.
    http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1662/dogsxo.jpg
    I LOVE your pack! Your Tovin is one of the only dogs in the world that makes Paisley's crazy face look normal!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I wanted a small dog that could "come along", preferred to curl up on my lap and in the bed over being actively exercised, and would be a good barn dog.

I walked into the Montgomery County Animal Shelter in TX and brought home Miss Lily Bell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...es/lilycar.jpg

She has been absolutely perfect. She goes in her little carrier and comes along in the car, comes to the barn, flies on planes, and never makes a peep. She sticks around off leash. She has the energy to come along on a several hour hike but if unexercised for a week she will still just curl up quietly with me.
    Everyone who meets this dog loves her.

When I bought a house I needed a second dog to keep Lily company when I was at work and knew I would never find a second Lily.
    Shiner comes in a close second though. He does not have an aggressive or dominant bone in his body and is just endlessly sweet. He has more energy but still when I am home he prefers to stick close by me than to run around making his own fun.

He loves hikes, and bed time stories.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Shinerhike.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...dtimestory.jpg

We are still working on stricter adherence to the "stay in your corner!" command while schooling the horses (*resists temptation to compare that Lily got it in three tries*), but he makes up for it with that sweet face.

They make a great pair, and I love them to bits.

First dog, I wanted: Something friendly, trainable, but big and if possible, a little protective of me/the house to be my buddy during DH's first deployment.

Found a dog on Craigslist that the owner wanted to 'rehome' (get rid of) because the dog was destructive in the house and needed more space/fenced yard to play in.

We went to see the dog and of course, came home with her. Maera is a black lab mixed with some kind of hound, we think - looks like a tall skinny lab! She was perfect as far as being a good companion, but she is a timid dog and probably couldn't intimidate a fly. I refer to her as a 'nervous chewer' and she still needs to be in her crate if left alone for more than a short time. Other than that, she's great and has her CGC, enjoys agility class (probably won't compete, but class is fun) and is a champion cuddler.

Second dog, we wanted: something FUN! Active, trainable, independent, a dog who could go along on trips, camping, hiking, etc and just be a fun addition to our family. Rescue was not a good option as many refuse to adopt to military families.

We got: a purebred Airedale Terrier puppy from a wonderful breeder with a long history with the breed and many glowing recommendations. And Grace is perfect for us! She is everything we wanted and then some, personality plus, extremely intelligent, the most fun to have around, a total charmer.

Everyone warned us about the "terrier personality" and even I was a little worried that we would be in over our heads... but Grace is wonderful. Strong willed for sure but very trainable and learns things in one or two tries. She will be 2 in March and people always think she is older because she is so well behaved. She has a ton of energy (good for us - but I could definitely see it overwhelming a lot of people!) and the most cheerful, funny personality. I can't say enough good things about her.

For our next dog, I'm about 98% certain we'll be looking for another Airedale. I keep an eye on Airedale rescue pages and of course, still chat with Grace's breeder and share pics and news.... so I always know when puppies are expected.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/P1000580.jpg
    My good girls!

Except for the first one, (and MrB's first one- we met each other when we had one dog apiece) all of my dogs have been unintentional :-) foster failures, if you will.

First, intentional, dog- wanted fluffy/scruffy. Had standard poodles growing up but thought minis weren't as cool ;-) when I started my search, i considered so many different breeds, non-poodles included, such as boxers, schnauzers, labs even chihuahuas, though most all were big dogs.

Then I started looking at animal rescue and animal control websites. I began looking at the one in my college town (animal control), and was shocked at how little time the dogs had to find homes. That site updates with the eventual status of the animals (adopted, rescued, no longer available) and while it unsettled me at first, it convinced me that AC/rescue was the way to go.

I found a studio to rent when I returned to college, and their pet policy was under 30lbs. I began to think about fur and shedding, and thought low shed would be best. My parents preferred I find a dog after moving out/to the studio in Jan.

January 4th i was on vacation 700 miles away, and checked the AC site (I was addicted to checking every day at that point!)
    A little-ish black wavy haired poodle mix was just listed, even though he had been there for a week. I called, confirmed his weight, and said PLEASE don't put him down, i was coming back the next day and wanted to meet him. (I may have called a few other times after that just to be sure!)

Once I got there and saw he met those standards of size and fur type, he needed to pass just a few other requirements. Not insane, flying off the walls hyper. Not mean or snappy. Since he was small, he needed to be okay with being picked up, and I wanted him to be okay with being tugged on and prodded. So I tugged his ears, pulled his paws, yanked his tail, and picked him up. Well, he passed!

That was 5 years ago (damn!) He's been an interesting little dog to say the least! He's a great student, learns tricks quickly, and is great with kids and strangers. He can be a dominant, growly thing sometimes, and his default mode is grump around the house.... But most of that I attribute to our insane home, with a bunch of foster dogs. He'd be happier in a home with fewer dogs, i know. And eventually we'll have that... And he goes on errands and vacations with me and isn't lacking in anything he needs, so I think he's still got a pretty good deal. ;-)

The other dogs we own all kinda.... Happened, though the justification for the last two were: young aussie came to us insane, was better but couldn't guarantee he'd still be good in the average home. We'd had fosters returned in worse conditions (behaviorally) and were worried about risking it with him. MrB said he could train him up to be GREAT and unlikely to backslide in another home, but in the time that it took to get there, he knew he wouldn't want to give him away then!! And the most recent one, a little dog that was injured in a dog fight and nearly died. I was too attached to even consider her leaving after bringing her back around.... And that little dog has turned into the BEST lil thing ever. She still needs some confidence building but holy Schnoodles batman she is so much fun. We're going to do agility class starting this month with her!
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

I LOVE your pack! Your Tovin is one of the only dogs in the world that makes Paisley's crazy face look normal!
    Aren't the white aussie eyes somethin' special? I ADORE your Paisley...when Tovin was little he was quite fluffy, I was sad to see his adult coat is pretty short; I wanted long fluffy hair to play with!

They are good dogs though, I'm lucky.

Outside_line, I would DIE for an Airedale, consider me jealous! Such gorgeous dogs. Somehow I don't think I'll luck across one of those in a dumpster though!

Irken, you never know! They might not be in a dumpster, but there are definitely breed rescues. I am delighted to say that dogs seemed to be placed quickly in the rescues I support, but I bet there will be a 'dale out there someday with your name on it.

Only one dog in my lifetime that's been mine. We had a few family dogs when I was a kid. They were all little yapper things. I have always detested little yapper things. The tone, not merely the amount of time they spend barking. Regardless of training on appropriate barking occasions, if the dog's shrill pitch could break glass whenever they do bark, count me out.

What I wanted: LARGE, black or mostly black, LARGE bark, male, some purebred breed with known ancestry from proven breeder, not a pound puppy (in the size I want - over 100 pounds - I don't want any potential holes at all in known history or genetics), trainable but aloof and not making friends readily, loyal to person once the link is there, coexists in peace with other critters of mine, anticipated this being a puppy. Was researching.

What I got: LARGE, black with Bernese trim, LARGE bark, female, purebred Bernese Mountain Dog with known ancestry from proven breeder, rehomed but absolutely known history and vouched for by people I trusted so no holes, already basic obedience trained, aloof and not making friends readily, loyal to me once the link is there, coexists in peace with any critter except another dog (this is the hole that earned her a new home; I have no other dogs), adult.

Other than gender and the hair issue, pretty much right on the money. I figure for a free dog vs. a $$$$ dog, I can live with the hair. Although this was a $$$$ dog when her former owners purchased her. She simply did not fit with their multidog lifestyle, though they tried for a few years and they are quite dog experienced. Sometimes, a home just isn't the right one for an individual dog.

By the way, I got offered this dog through the channels because I had once just in conversation recited the list of what I want above to my trainer. She remembered all of that and filed it mentally for future use if ever appropriate. She is the best horse to person matchmaker I've ever met and is always setting up deals on equines, often across several states. If you mentioned 3 years ago that you like bay WB dressage mares with unique crooked blazes and she meets one today, she will remember you. Apparently, her radar works for dogs, too.

Default I'll bite...

What I wanted: A small-mediumish dog. Something herding-bred to take with me everywhere and run with.

What I got: A 4 month old 15-lb terrier mix who didn't give me the time of day, spots of mange, and kennel cough so bad he would wake me up in the middle of the night and slept all the time.
    http://i.imgur.com/xdQHa.jpg
    Now, 5 1/2 years later http://i.imgur.com/lfG2W.jpg (This is from my wedding pictures - he was the ring bearer). He is my heart dog and pretty much the coolest dog you will ever meet. Still highly opinionated about how to best obey commands (gotta love that terrier brain), but about the smartest dog I have ever met. Learns new tricks in about 2 minutes. Has a killer underbite and there's a list of about a dozen people that want him in case anything ever happens to me. Highly energetic (after recovering from kennel cough, it's amazing how fast those short legs go speeding around an apartment, banking off furniture), so we got him a sister (http://i.imgur.com/eRNJE.jpg) last year (got exactly what I wanted with her).