The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eclipse Awards

yawn.

what a boring crop of three year olds we had this year.

The Eclipse Awards finalists (in alphabetical order) are:

2-Year-Old Male: Creative Cause, Hansen, Union Rags
    2-Year-Old Filly: Grace Hall, My Miss Aurelia, Stephanie's Kitten
    3-Year-Old Male: Animal Kingdom, Caleb's Posse, Shackleford
    3-Year-Old Filly: It's Tricky, Plum Pretty, Royal Delta
    Older Male: Acclamation, Game on Dude, Tizway
    Older Female: Awesome Maria, Blind Luck, Havre de Grace
    Male Sprinter: Amazombie, Caleb's Posse, Regally Ready
    Female Sprinter: Hilda's Passion, Musical Romance, Sassy Image
    Male Turf Horse: Acclamation, Cape Blanco , St Nicholas Abbey
    Female Turf Horse: Dubawi Heights, Perfect Shirl, Stacelita
    Steeplechase Horse: Black Jack Blues, Decoy Daddy, Tax Ruling
    Owner: Midwest Thoroughbreds, Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey, Team Valor
    Breeder: Adena Springs, Brereton C. Jones, Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey
    Trainer: Bob Baffert, Bill Mott, Todd Pletcher
    Jockey: Javier Castellano, Ramon Dominguez, John Velazquez
    Apprentice Jockey: Ryan Curatolo, Kyle Frey, Rosario Montanez

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz1ibjcOeTn
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

"Finalists in the HOY category will be announced the night of the ceremony". Is that normal? I can't remember.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Maybe they are going to give Rapid Redux a shot for HOY.

What a dreary year for racing 2011 was.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thought RR was going to get the nod in a "special merit" award of some sort.

Sounds rather like a kid getting a brown star vs. a gold or silver, actually.

Yep, an unexciting year - but following Zenyatta is a tough act for the rest to follow......

Interesting that Drosselmeyer is not on the older male list?

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    Yep, an unexciting year - but following Zenyatta is a tough act for the rest to follow......

Interesting that Drosselmeyer is not on the older male list?
    Right on both counts. And they were conjecturing after the BC Classic about whether or not Drosselmeyer would get HOY, and he's not even an underling...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    The Eclipse Awards finalists (in alphabetical order) are:

Apprentice Jockey: Ryan Curatolo, Kyle Frey, Rosario Montanez
    Ooops, make that a do-over

... statistics that were distributed to voters incorrectly included earnings and wins for one of the finalists after the rider lost his apprentice allowance ... as such the voters had inflated stats for Rosario Montanez.

As we know, sadly, in many categories voters seem to vote strictly on "earnings" - from the trainer category to owner category - which is asinine in my view. Frankly Midwest Thoroughbreds being a finalist in the owner category is proof of that. Yes they field a battalion of horses on tracks but are they a standout 'owner' worthy of an award? That entity was at the top of the 2011 stats but only from sheer numbers of starters:

Midwest Thoroughbreds, Inc. 2011 Starts: 1,423 and W-P-S of 418-272-216; earnings $6,307,278

By comparison you could argue the output of say the #7 outfit which is the well known Magnier, Mrs. John, Tabor, Michael and Smith, Derrick. (Aside I was in Barbados in December and was able to see their Sandy Lane, The Green Monkey and Tabor's residence, albeit the latter only from the water). Yet not one nod for them to be included as an owner for the Eclipse.

That partnership in 2011 yielded (with North American starts only):
    53 starts and W-P-S of 12-5-12; earnings $3,558,652

Obviously quality over quantity. Their absence on tracks would diminish the big days that attract attention from fans, bettors and the media. Midwest clearly fills fields and that boost the overall handle for the sport but could anyone recall a horse owned by them?

Just some other known stables:
    #14 Darley Stable 250 starts 46-31-33 earnings $2,376,489
    #15 Fox Hill Farms, Inc. 70 starts, 19-10-10 earnings $2,361,303
    #86 Castleton Lyons 31 starts 4-7-6 earnings $1,012,997
    #97 Phipps Stable 88 starts 15-14-6 earnings $961,860
    #125 Bobby Flay 51 starts 9-9-10 earnings $825,887

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post

By comparison you could argue the output of say the #7 outfit which is the well known Magnier, Mrs. John, Tabor, Michael and Smith, Derrick. (Aside I was in Barbados in December and was able to see their Sandy Lane, The Green Monkey and Tabor's residence, albeit the latter only from the water). Yet not one nod for them to be included as an owner for the Eclipse.

That partnership in 2011 yielded (with North American starts only):
    53 starts and W-P-S of 12-5-12; earnings $3,558,652
    Keep in mind that that doesn't include Cape Blanco.

3 Starts, W-P-S, 3-0-0 $1,236,000

So, if you add no.59 to no.7 (same outfit, with Friti Hay's silks - Cape Blanco), you get....

56, WPS 15-5-12, earnings $4,794,562, which puts them in 3rd place.

On the racing channels and the Bloodhorse everyone is saying that Animal Kingdom should win the 3 year old male category, "because he won the derby and that is the one everyone wants to win". I disagree..... Caleb's Posse for me! He may be a miler, but he was the ONLY consistent horse this year!!!!! Anyone else with me?

And I'm going to open my big mouth... IMO the derby isn't so much the one everyone wants to win, that's more of a catchy thing to say for the backstories for the television broadcast. At the barn we don't all sit around talking and dreaming of the derby! It's just a race, a grade 1. CP won two of those this year. Do two grade 1's and a full year long campaign not mean anything?

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    And I'm going to open my big mouth... IMO the derby isn't so much the one everyone wants to win, that's more of a catchy thing to say for the backstories for the television broadcast.
    Agreed that the Kentucky Derby is still huge media focus and with it giving a nation perhaps the single reason to focus on horse racing. Although the Eclipse Award shouldn't necessarily get caught up in that fixation.

Honestly the Travers Stakes can be just a prestigious and the BCC should very much be a tremendous amount of credibility. For that it is odd that Drosselmeyer was seemingly ignored for older horse.

Drosselmeyer's 2011 record

7 starts 2-2-0, earnings $2,927,000

Of those board-hitting efforts: 1st Grade 1, 1st stakes race, 2nd in a Grade 1, 2nd in a Grade 2

Personally I think it should be Shakelford, he showed up for every TC race and won one of them, then continued on and actually ran the rest of the year. The horse has heart and grit and obviously some speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Keep in mind that that doesn't include Cape Blanco.

3 Starts, W-P-S, 3-0-0 $1,236,000

So, if you add no.59 to no.7 (same outfit, with Friti Hay's silks - Cape Blanco), you get....

56, WPS 15-5-12, earnings $4,794,562, which puts them in 3rd place.
    Extraordinarily impressive for a partnership to yield such results. Look at Thoroughbred Legends which pumped in something like $150M US into buying bloodstock a couple years ago. Their results on the track have been soft to say the least. While The Green Monkey makes for a good joke the reality is they have been exceedingly savvy in the success on track. Hence I think they should get at least the nod for being on the Eclipse ballot.

I'm surprised Stay Thirsty wasn't on the list for 3yo Male. Won the Travers (G1), Jim Dandy (G2), and Gotham (G3), second in the Belmont (G1), and 3rd against older horses in the JCGC (G1). Shackleford was certainly consistent, but consistently second.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.